Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If itís outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Out-N-About

Chris.S. Unknown Newbie
Nakusp hot springs

I'm sure most of you are familiar with them, I'm just wondering about other peoples experiences there? The wife and I are planning to head down there in June/July sometime for a few days. I know roughly where they are located, I can figure out that part on my own, but some help on a couple points would be great...

Any good tips on where to camp near there? I don't have the backroads book for that area yet but I'll be getting one. I like rec sites, or anywhere I don't have to pay too much.

Any special advice for anything I should/shouldn't take with us?

I'm mostly wondering about a good spot to camp down there...
Old 05-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Stump hunter

Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut
You can book a camp site right at the tubs if you into that kinda thing. there is no camping on the road up to the tubs that i can remeber......as far as a camp sites there are some around Nakusp but its been a few year

Stay away from my Moose Ribs
Old 05-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Now I see what FIBC is about

Briannishi Good newbie
There is a bunch of hot springs up what ones are you talking about?
Old 05-19-2009, 06:12 PM
doesn't play well with others
Swollen Member

m j bad newbie
just north of Nakusp are some nice ones
secluded but not far off the highway.
the commercial ones are , well commercial
Old 05-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Out-N-About

Chris.S. Unknown Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briannishi View Post
There is a bunch of hot springs up what ones are you talking about?
I'm not really sure, I was planning on picking up a book that would help me narrow it down...

Any suggestions for where to go/avoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j View Post
The info I've got so far has referred to something that sounds like those ones to the north. I definitely don't need to be anywhere near the commercial ones...
Old 05-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Not a Newbie

westcoaster bad newbie
Drove to the halfway river hotsprings last year. From where you park and down to where the tubs are was very steep and far. It was quite busy as well. With the wife and two little kids I ended up leaving without visiting the tubs (too steep and far for the kids to climb or for us to carry them)

Like anywhere free, popular and unmaintained on a daily basis, it was a dirty but not a dump. It appeared like one or two rigs were there year round (or at least for the summer)
The second hotspring further up the valley was overgrown. The only way to get to it was with some SERIOUS pinstriping....
Old 05-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Frog Legs

4Lo bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j View Post

There are some cabins for rent in coyote hotsprings north of nakusp. We rented one years ago. They have hot tubs fed from the natural springs. They are located on arrow lake. Great place to spend a week of vacation.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:50 AM
doesn't play well with others
Swollen Member

m j bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.S. View Post
I'm not really sure, I was planning on picking up a book that would help me narrow it down...

Any suggestions for where to go/avoid?

The info I've got so far has referred to something that sounds like those ones to the north. I definitely don't need to be anywhere near the commercial ones...
I will get more info for you on the Nakusp ones.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Speed bump owner

Shera bad newbie
We stayed up there 2 years ago and it was great ,we camped free on the lake just before Nakusp ,the only way we found it was there was a small stack of rocks on the side of the hwy and lots of skid marks into this road that goes for about 1/4 km if you follow straight thru that is where locals get their fresh water but just before the water hole there is a turn down to lake and its beautiful. I heard there are natural hot springs about 20 minutes out of town we tried to get to but had no maps ,road wasn't to bad for start but we were by ourselves in the diesel with camper towing a boat so we turned around and came back out, turns out we didn't have much farther to go but heard tubs were a mess from all the local kids partying there. we ended up staying at Nakusp's hot springs campground which was okay except you had to pay but we were tired and had the dogs so we stayed for 1 night , also we did stop at Halycon Hot springs [this was in Sept] took dogs for a hike and than went into their hot springs which were beautiful and clean, it was a nice treat. Locals have told us that Coyote Creek is the nicest to stay but we didn't have time to check it out for we drove back up to hwy 31[ single lane gravel road along Trout lake and that was beautiful country .
Old 05-20-2009, 07:50 AM
Now I see what FIBC is about

tbm bad newbie
The hot springs are called 'halfway river hot springs'.
Drive North on highway 23 from Nakusp until you get to the 'halfway river FSRoad'. (named because of it's location almost exactly between Nakusp and the Galena Bay ferry I assume.)
Go up the FSR to the 14km mark. You will find a turnoff to your left (the one on your right is your wife... jk)
Up top there is a level place for larger type trailers a little further down the FSR. I was tenting so I drove as far as I could to the right at the bottom of the road and set up camp right at the trail that leads to the hotsprings, which are at the bottom of a steep bank.
When you go down the trail you will need to turn left at the bottom and walk past all the stupid hippy constructed bullshit until you come to a large rock pool which is great and clean. It is beside the creek (they call it a river but it's a creek imho) so you can go for a dip in the feezing water and jump in the pool again. Awesome.
I stayed a few days, so there was the occassional 'buffalo head' sighting but nothing strong enough to enflame my hippy allergies.
Bring candles.

Last edited by tbm : 05-20-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Out-N-About

Chris.S. Unknown Newbie
Killer, you guys (and/or gals) rule!

Not sure exactly when we'll be going (june/july) but this thread sure has made my planning a lot easier...

Sounds like there's a lot more options than I initially realized...
Old 05-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Having FUN IN B.C.

Stavemudder bad newbie
googled it and came up with a few links, this one has the map
Nakusp, BC Maps, Upper Arrow Lake, Hot Springs, Summit & Kimbol Lakes
Old 09-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Out-N-About

Chris.S. Unknown Newbie
Thanks again everyone for the input. We're heading out this Friday so feel free to throw any last minute advice or ideas in here for me...

Still haven't really nailed down exactly what we're doing but we're going to try find the halfway river springs and a few more if we can...

If anyone in the area wants to meet for a beer, just shoot me a pm.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Fisting for dollars

Trooper bad newbie
one word settlers rd. pm me for more info. your better off camping on the paliser and driving to lussier hot springs. After 10pm you will have the springs to you self. pm me if you want i know the area really well. my buddy has a trap line in the area. settlers and the white fsr are the best roads for camping and fishing in all of bc. carefull of the wolves in the area they have been taking dogs. Its all classified waters so make sure you have your classified tag. CO's are cracking down albertains have been poaching hard in the area.

Taint nothin'
Old 09-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Out-N-About

Chris.S. Unknown Newbie
^^
Do you mean White river FSR? I'd definitely like to check out settlers rd sometime, but I can't see it on the map. We were up that a few weeks back and did Lussier and Ram Creek. This time we're gonna do some exploring around Nakusp area.

I've looked over the regs and synopsis, looks like Trout lake and Arrow lake are both not classified so I should be fine with my regular freshwater non-tidal I think.

Heading out in a few hours so I probably won't make it back on to check this thread, but thanks to everyone for the advice and tips, I'll try and document with some good photo's.

Halfway river, St Leon, here we go.....