Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > Corn Binder's

Corn Binder's International Harvester --For people that like to drive farm equipment!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Out-N-About

shoobear Unknown Newbie
keep those progress pics coming.....
looks good.

have look on pirate4x4, loads of scout builds for ideas.....
Old 03-07-2009, 06:13 AM
Now I see what FIBC is about

suberman Unknown Newbie
I am hoping to actually start into working on it on the 27th of the month, i have a week and a half off school between terms, and the school says that the scout should be done by that time. So there will be some actual progress pics
Old 03-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Out-N-About

shoobear Unknown Newbie
Here are some links for parts and info:

http://www.dandcextreme.com/extremebuildups.asp

http://www.ihonlynorth.com/

http://www.binderbulletin.org/

http://www.justih.org/Binder-Bench/index.php

http://scoutparts.com/products/?view...oduct_id=14219

cheers
Old 03-27-2009, 07:06 AM

suberman Unknown Newbie
Some real progress finially.
The scout is running and driving with the new clutch in. Right now it is loaded and strapped down on a car trailer. I am gonna get it home tonight and start working on it either sunday or monday. The first thing on the long list of stuff to do is a fender cut, and maybe replace the front fenders with the spare set i have (just depends on if the fender cut will get all the rust out.)
Old 03-30-2009, 10:09 PM

suberman Unknown Newbie
The auto choke has been giving me a lot of trouble on the scout so today i got a conversion kit and changed it over to a manual choke. I also started to cut the fenders. I got one done and another half done (it was getting late and i didn't want to piss off my neighbours) I will get some pics of the fender cut up sometime during the week
Old 04-03-2009, 04:22 PM

suberman Unknown Newbie
Here are some pictures of the fender cut, and me re building the passenger side tire well. I didn't get to do the rear driver side because my welder ran out of gas and i ran outta money, so for now here is how it stands. I also got a new fuel pump to try to get the scout running for more then a minute
Before

After

Old 04-04-2009, 06:41 PM
cornbinder on coils
Swollen Member

epic3 bad newbie
splittin the tubs isnt a bad idea I just made new ones which Im thinkin might have been more work
Old 04-04-2009, 08:53 PM

suberman Unknown Newbie
well i had a bunch of old desks like the ones from highschools that i use for scrap metal, i figured i can get away without spending any money on them by splitting them and usuing that metal.
I don't have the driver side done yet but i will look into doing it tomorrow, I have to replace a lot of the metal around it first before i cut out the tub because it is really rusted out. I may not be able to do it because i took off about 1/16" of skin from my left index finger tonight. I will try my best to get some work on it though. I want to get the fuel pump changed because i think that is the main reason why my scout won't keep running, but again with the skinned finger i might not be able to turn a wrench. I guess i will see tomorow.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:35 PM

suberman Unknown Newbie
I dropped the tank today and found a clog in the fuel line about the same diameter on the sending unit's hose connecter. The tank is out getting cleaned now so by the end of the week I should get the scout running good. Once that is finially all sorted out I will return to getting the rest of the remaining rust outta the truck.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:30 PM

suberman Unknown Newbie
Well I got bored at about 7 and remebered that the noise bylaw for where i live doesn't kick in until 8 so i decided to mock up the patch panel for the rear driver side.

I shoulda stopped there but i decided to take off the tops inner trim piece and cut out some of the metal so when i find some time to weld in the side piece i wouldn't have to do anything else. So after i took off the trim piece for the top and began cutting i found the rust was a lot worse.

So now I am thinking about bracing the rear body, taking off the top and replace almost all of that rear side, and the top bedrail. I am hopeing some rust inhibitor will save the rear quarter.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:45 PM
cornbinder on coils
Swollen Member

epic3 bad newbie
dont take the top off till you've braced the box sides with some 1x1 welded in
Old 04-13-2009, 08:47 PM

suberman Unknown Newbie
so for the 1x1 do i just weld it to both of the sides of the interior? i am also thinking of running a ratchet strap around the back of the body and through the doors, i might need two to make the full distance.
On a different note the scout still needs a project name, I still haven't came up with anything yet. Any suggestions?

Last edited by suberman : 04-13-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:45 PM
cornbinder on coils
Swollen Member

epic3 bad newbie
both sides yes and x them welding the x in the middle
another thing I've done on scouts of past is welded the main hoops of the roll bar to the sides this adds tons of strength to the door jam
Old 04-14-2009, 09:11 PM

suberman Unknown Newbie
One problem about welding to the roll bar is that there isn't one in it. On a side problem is that the area I want to b cutting and replacing is in the corner so i may not be able to get it in the exact corner but it shouldn't matter too much. I was asking if it was welded to the interior, the both sides part is a given (at least i hope it is)
Old 04-15-2009, 10:39 PM

suberman Unknown Newbie
So I picked up the gas tank from the cleaners and installed it today. I had to fix the scary previous install job (bolts that were bent to catch a lip to were used to hold it up, the bolts didn't even actually go through a hole in the vehicle only on the strap). Once I installed it it started and ran great. The vehicle runs extremly smooth. The one thing i have left is to fix the breather tube which was just relooped to the tank. It used to work because there was a few cracks in the tube, since i replaced the tube i will have to run it properly.
I also picked up 2 cans of the trimclad rust converter stuff, I hope the stuff works pretty good, I sprayed on a coat of the stuff and tomorrow i will throw on a coat of primer if i have a chance on the inside of the rear fender. No pics on this update because there isn't too much to take pictures of.