Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If itís outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Gettin' out havin' fun

Little Samurai Good newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego Racer View Post
Being in the industry for several years now and I have heard that a few times and I felt that way to, but this is what I found.

I’m not saying anything to you Little Samurai… ok?... ok. Everything is in a general context.

Here is a big service related hint I found. If you are a DINK in that dept. forget it. Life will be tough in that service dept. A service writer’s job is a thankless job. That person is fed to the wolfs everyday!! And all they get to do is hear about your shitty problem and gets to give you a bill at the end of the day knowing he/she didn’t build it nor did he/she break it and your going to yell at them. So give that person a break. If he/she is a jerk first, then flame on.

Hey Lego...not takin' any of what you said personally and I am not a dink at all unless someone really deserves it, I am a super calm guy(ask your freinds Jeff & Mylisa up there in PG).

Anyhoo...all I want is for someone to diagnose the issues and sort them out. I happened to be in the shop at a Suzuki dealership when they had an XL7 (same as exuinox) in there with a rattle in the steering column when going over bumps or on a rough road, he said it was a common issue with that model. Why is the GM dealer not noticing this common problem? I am not trying to bash GM at all I love their full size trucks but I am having some hickups with their service dept. As for the squeaking sound when turning right, it happens every day when I make the first right hand turn after leaving my driveway but they never hear it...maybe you or some of the other GM dealership guys know what this is and can help me out.

Thanks

Last edited by Little Samurai : 01-13-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Make your own-iEdit Title in 'User CP'

arjan bad newbie
Quite simply, I don't want a tahoe, I've wanted a 4Runner all along.
It's actually my 4th one over the years, I just kept my '97 next to it because there's nothing wrong with it.
I think they drive nice, and look good. That's what sells vehicles on the end of the day.
My wife & I each have a 4Runner now. Hers a bit newer and more powerful then mine, but that's ok.

As for Toyota lost money. I know they did, for the 1st time in their history, in a major global economic downturn.
GM & others lost money when the world economy was booming and everybody was doing well. That's says enough.

I actually agree with you that the new Tundra might not be their best move. Time will tell.
I do know that the better part of BC's population live in Greater Vancouver & the lower mainland.
Add Vernon and Kelowna to that, and you'll find that the urban market share is far larger then the industrial/farm share.
That's where the older tundras and other 1/2 ton pickups sold quite well, and most people are not too concerned about actually hauling things.

For actually hauling welders or trailers, I would look at domestic trucks too.

The current market seems to move more toward the crossovers. I don't care for them,all automakers seem to have their fair share of them though.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Now I see what FIBC is about

Lego Racer Unknown Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Samurai View Post
Hey Lego...not takin' any of what you said personally and I am not a dink at all unless someone really deserves it, I am a super calm guy(ask your freinds Jeff & Mylisa up there in PG).

Anyhoo...all I want is for someone to diagnose the issues and sort them out. I happened to be in the shop at a Suzuki dealership when they had an XL7 (same as exuinox) in there with a rattle in the steering column when going over bumps or on a rough road, he said it was a common issue with that model. Why is the GM dealer not noticing this common problem? I am not trying to bash GM at all I love their full size trucks but I am having some hickups with their service dept. As for the squeaking sound when turning right, it happens every day when I make the first right hand turn after leaving my driveway but they never hear it...maybe you or some of the other GM dealership guys know what this is and can help me out.

Thanks
Glad you aren't taking any of that to heart. It is hard not to read too far into peoples posts sometimes. I wasn't thinking you're a dink I was just talking out loud and in general. I have friends Ya they're good people Jeff and Mylisa! If you're like them you are calm

But as for that steering clunk I don't know for sure for sure but i'm going to say a steering shaft. Can you feel it in the steering wheel at all?

As for a squeaking noise coming from a turn... hmmm tough one. Is it loud or quite? Or more like a humming noise? Any clicking noise at all?

What I do with my customers that keep getting there vehicle back with a "no fault found" statement on the invoice. I get the shop forman to go for a drive with the customer. Then the customer can point out the problem and then there is no excuse they can't do something. It is a pain in the ass I know but that might be the best bet.

Or come up here and I will get it in our shop and we will find out what that problem is! A bit expensive to get up here but open offer for sure!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:47 AM

giggityjeep Unknown Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Samurai View Post

Thanks
Its your intermeidaite steering shaft assembly. it clunks and squeaks....

And im not dissing the 4runner purchase, its a nice ride for sure, alls IM SAYING is for less money you COULD get a better vehicle with more warranty, and options, but again Better is a matter of opinion, some will say the 4runner is better..

each to their own i guess. for 30 G I would want something wit ha litte warranty at least an 06 will have none or very little it will hvae power train, but not bumper to bumper coverage.

anyhow.....

Last edited by giggityjeep : 01-13-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Gettin' out havin' fun

Little Samurai Good newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by giggityjeep View Post
Its your intermeidaite steering shaft assembly. it clunks and squeaks....
Is it fixable or would a new assy. just have the same issue? What about the rotational front right axle/wheel squeaking when making that first right hand turn every morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego Racer View Post

But as for that steering clunk I don't know for sure for sure but i'm going to say a steering shaft. Can you feel it in the steering wheel at all? = Yes if you let go of the wheel on rough pavement/gravel it really comes through

As for a squeaking noise coming from a turn... hmmm tough one. Is it loud or quite? Or more like a humming noise? Any clicking noise at all? = no humming or clicking just a rotational squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, like a shitty shopping cart wheel, when making the first right turn. loud enough to hear from 30+ft away

What I do with my customers that keep getting there vehicle back with a "no fault found" statement on the invoice. I get the shop forman to go for a drive with the customer. Then the customer can point out the problem and then there is no excuse they can't do something. It is a pain in the ass I know but that might be the best bet. = done that, it has been raining everytime and they didn't hear it. onlt happens after the truck has sat for and hour or more and usually clears up after the first right turn.

Or come up here and I will get it in our shop and we will find out what that problem is! A bit expensive to get up here but open offer for sure!
= if you guys could for sure fix it I would make the trip up to tha PIG

Last edited by Little Samurai : 01-13-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:38 PM

well we can replace it, but not gonna say it wont go again, my bro had 2 replaced in a year, but its more common on cars that DONT get drivin much....

as for the squeek, maybe the startings of a wheel bearing?? or the column as well...If its same as equinox, then it has electric steering assist and not a rack and pinion setup like others, so no worries on that end of things..

MAYBE you just have some rust build up in the morning on yor rotor and the squeak is just the pad burning it off?? check it the next morning u get up.

Last edited by giggityjeep : 01-13-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:19 PM
My carbon print is the size of a crater
Swollen Member

dirka dave bad newbie
Lots of interesting reading here, how many of you actually know what you are talking about ?

Just sayin'.....
Old 01-13-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirka dave View Post
Lots of interesting reading here, how many of you actually know what you are talking about ?

Just sayin'.....
well none of us of course..... ...im in sales I just make it up as i go...
Old 01-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Albatross
Swollen Member

barracuda bad newbie
Dont worry cause WONT START will make it all better
Old 01-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Swollen Member

dirka dave bad newbie
Quote:

hahaha....right on.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Albatross
Swollen Member

barracuda bad newbie
Quote:
that explains everything .

I Trust everything a car salemen tells me

Should we call you Herb Tarlic
Old 01-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Swollen Member

dirka dave bad newbie
WKRP in Cincinnati...

Loni Anderson.......yummy back in the day
Old 01-13-2009, 06:01 PM

AbF250 Unknown Newbie
[quote=Lego Racer;1359975)

And here is where it gets a bit personal I guess with the Toyota brand. Back in 98 Toyota had a 4yr/80,000km warranty on there vehicles. Why do you think they rolled it back to 3yr/60,000km warranty? Well duh it is because the cost to repair increases after 3 years. So now I’m going to sell you on a warranty package but I won’t bother going there right now. I’m sick of typing this just like you don’t want to read it anymore because you know I’m right. [/QUOTE]

My 07 Tundra came with a 5yr/100,000km warranty. Im already at 48,000kms and I really doubt I will use that warranty....knock on wood!!

Last edited by AbF250 : 01-13-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:20 PM

AbF250 Unknown Newbie
Quote:

To throw a further wrench in your theory, if that was the case and Toyota did not want to market a 'TRUCK' then why was almost 80% of what they built the big 5.7L with the big towing capability of 10,000lbs.

As for depreciation, well Im not gonna go there, The tundra in todays market is depreciating worse then GMs, And besides you pay on average of 5 grnad more for the Yota and its less of a truck, so you should get more for it when traded, you can argue the theory 'well its toyota' so its better but its not, for 40 grand why would I buy half the Truck the GM is....

I mean really a truck that turns off Stability control while in 4x4 like WTF, how useless is that, that is when you want traction. And a hitch that doubles as a rear crossmember.....LOL

Well, here in redneck country - Calgary, I see way more 07 and up Tundras than I do GMs, it seems everyone is buying them. There are tons of companies who drive Tundras, and I cant really count how many GM owners who have asked about my truck, and then say they will probably trade theirs in for a Tundra. They are not crap, they are a great truck.

I agree with you about payload. With the amount of power and torque in these things, they should have 3/4 ton suspension. The rear end in these trucks have a 10.5 inch ring gear- same size as a 3/4 ton Ford. I dont know what GM half-tons have.

The 5.7L has tons of power, I haven't had one GM truck, or Dodge, or Ford beat me in a race yet......and Ive raced a few 6.0 liters. BTW, if Toyotas' 5.7 is big, what the hell is GMs 6.0L???

Now, for your stabilitrac comment.. You are wrong. The vehicle stability control still works in 4x4 on the Tundras. Ive tried to make the truck spin out in 4x4 and I cant do it. It starts beeping, and lights flash on the dash, and I can hear the ABS doing its job!!! It works very well. If you want to turn the system off, you have to hold the VSC button for 3 seconds, but it will reset when the truck is turned off.

Hitch doubling as a crossmember?? I dont think so. Not all Tundras come with the tow package, so lots of them dont even have a hitch. My hitch is just bolted to the frame. Mine has the tow package, so it has the tranny cooler, tranny temp guage, and wiring for the trailer brakes. There might be more stuff but I cant remember right now.

Last edited by AbF250 : 01-13-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbF250 View Post
Well, here in redneck country - Calgary, I see way more 07 and up Tundras than I do GMs, it seems everyone is buying them. There are tons of companies who drive Tundras, and I cant really count how many GM owners who have asked about my truck, and then say they will probably trade theirs in for a Tundra. They are not crap, they are a great truck.

I agree with you about payload. With the amount of power and torque in these things, they should have 3/4 ton suspension. The rear end in these trucks have a 10.5 inch ring gear- same size as a 3/4 ton Ford. I dont know what GM half-tons have.

The 5.7L has tons of power, I haven't had one GM truck, or Dodge, or Ford beat me in a race yet......and Ive raced a few 6.0 liters. BTW, if Toyotas' 5.7 is big, what the hell is GMs 6.0L???

Now, for your stabilitrac comment.. You are wrong. The vehicle stability control still works in 4x4 on the Tundras. Ive tried to make the truck spin out in 4x4 and I cant do it. It starts beeping, and lights flash on the dash, and I can hear the ABS doing its job!!! It works very well. If you want to turn the system off, you have to hold the VSC button for 3 seconds, but it will reset when the truck is turned off.

Hitch doubling as a crossmember?? I dont think so. Not all Tundras come with the tow package, so lots of them dont even have a hitch. My hitch is just bolted to the frame. Mine has the tow package, so it has the tranny cooler, tranny temp guage, and wiring for the trailer brakes. There might be more stuff but I cant remember right now.
start at # 1....maybe differenet there but here the yota dealers cant give them away, of the FEW people I know that have them dont like them, the gas milage is shit and the box rattles like a mother...couple have had the tailgates fail from sleds....anyhow....each to their own...more money for a less equipped truck.....not mything.

onstar, ok maybe no big deal, for me with kids it is..
no locker in your yota.
no command start
payload is worse
and so is towing actually if you compare Crew to Crew
less warranty by 60,000km.....THIS IS HUGE, to add this your looking at another 2500 bucks or more
better milage in the GM, say what people will it is better

that is a few things you dont have I get standard.

#2 GM and Dodge WONT beat you in a race..ALL tundras with a 5.7 have a 4.30 rear axle ratio, hence the sitty milage, most GM with a 6.0 use a 3.73, or MAYBE a 4.10, its quicker because of this and only this.....If a GM or dodge stays with you at all should be a little demoralizing, I could take my buddies smaurai with a 4 banger and 5.88 and beat you on a take off.

#3...maybe I am wrong, but I dont think so, the TC will stay on but the Stabilitrak turns off, the ABS you here is the TC, and it is retardingthe timein to limit power to the engine, GM has this as well as stabilitrak, stabilitrak works with all 4 wheels and all 4 ABS sensores to brake each wheel individaully.

#4, All Tundras have a hitch, they may have changed this since 08/09....with their new 'trapazoidal' frame what ever the fuck that is....anyhow Tundras of old hadd only a hitch as a crossmember, it wraped all the way to the rear axle to help support both sides of the frame, and was NOT able to be removed.

anyhow live goes on,

Last edited by giggityjeep : 01-17-2009 at 12:38 PM.