Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If itís outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Outback adventurer

baluch Unknown Newbie
Has anybody been hassled for "offroading in sensitive areas"?

Pull up a stump and let me tell you a little story.

I was fishing up at Browne Lake up by McCullough a few weeks ago, and on the way out got stopped by a CO about 2km from hwy 33. My truck had some week old mud on it that was mostly washed off by rain, with a little bit of mud puddle splash up the side cuz the tires stick out a bit. This guy was quite a dick. He repeatedly asked me if I was "4x4ing off road", to which I repeatedly replied no, then he threw in the "sensitive areas" term, then mentioned twice that I can be fined "$575 on the spot". I figured "on the spot" meant that he had to SEE ME IN THE SENSITIVE SPOT, not just assume that the mud came from somewhere considered sensitive. After he finally let up on that, he saw my hound in the back seat, and went off on me having firearms in the truck, which of course I didn't. Asked me 3 times about firearms. And this was all after my friend and I complied and showed him our valid fishing licenses. After about 5 min of this, he finally let us go, no doubt disappointed. I really had to bite my tongue to avoid ranting on the guy. He was well beyond "doing his job", he was power-trippin for sure.

At any rate, my question is this: has anyone else been hassled regarding these new rules they put in place in the last year or so? I didn't hear about anyone having problems on the May Long or anything, but perhaps the CO's want to line their coffers a bit more now.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:29 AM
has a smrt
Swollen Member

youngun bad newbie
i would probably tell em to suck it, but I trailor my truck so I have no plates on it and they wouldn't be able to follow me anyways
Old 11-11-2008, 12:36 AM
My carbon print is the size of a crater
Swollen Member

dirka dave bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngun View Post
i would probably tell em to suck it, but I trailor my truck so I have no plates on it and they wouldn't be able to follow me anyways

Well then you would be really screwed.....you need to have valid plates or insurance on your vehicle on all logging roads now.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:57 AM
Rollin like a redneck
Swollen Member

Happypants Good newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirka dave View Post
Well then you would be really screwed.....you need to have valid plates or insurance on your vehicle on all logging roads now.
are you fucking kidding me!?!? i might as well just drive my jeep to the fsr then, what about quads/dirtbikes?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:52 AM
has a smrt
Swollen Member

youngun bad newbie
i have never had any problems driving on F.S.R's in the Okangan Area, I have even been stopped before by two CO's because there was and oil spill up the road, just sat there till they let cars threw and off I went, They must be more sticky down there......
Old 11-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Team Cliqueless
Swollen Member

UU is a splendid one to beholdUU is a splendid one to beholdUU is a splendid one to beholdUU is a splendid one to beholdUU is a splendid one to beholdUU is a splendid one to behold
Has anybody been hassled for "offroading in sensitive ares"?

Can anyone give me direction to FUCT ?
Old 11-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Not a Newbie

LuckyBains Good newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARLORD View Post

Old 11-11-2008, 12:11 PM
My name goes well with a
Swollen Member

vajayjay Good newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARLORD View Post

Here we go again those trails were built for..........................

I blew up my stroke so I got a bigger cummin
Old 11-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Prospect

mountain man Unknown Newbie
I would sure hate to be a co, could you imagine some of the assholes you'd run into. I've been hassled before, for no apparent reason. I didn't get fined or anything. I guess maybe they have bad days too.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:23 PM
cornbinder on coils
Swollen Member

epic3 bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrashxj View Post
are you fucking kidding me!?!? i might as well just drive my jeep to the fsr then, what about quads/dirtbikes?
You just need to carry proof of liability insurance with you truck buggy quad bike snomobile it dont matter
Old 11-11-2008, 10:34 PM
there's a visine for that

230 bad newbie
If you got yer PAL you can carry yer guns,you don't need a fishing licence unless you were fishing and i dont think he can say much more than "stay on the roads" if he doesnt catch you in the sensitive areas.Yes you need insurance for anything on a FSR.

that being said he is just doing his job,mind you it sounds like he was on a power trip but maybe you just caught up to him at a bad time.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:58 PM
I got kicked and now have a
Swollen Member

kootenaycat bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic3 View Post
You just need to carry proof of liability insurance with you truck buggy quad bike snomobile it dont matter
Snowmobiles are exempt from the insurance thing since they are not permitted on a plowed (active) logging road. Can't recall off hand where I read it, but I think it's in the motor vehicle act. As for the rest, I've been told by some people it's always been law that you need insurance on any logging road but after talking to the insurance agent who's family member is a CO, she stated (CO's words) that it isn't law YET, but will be soon. Wish they could get the stories straight.

My opinion is that all users should have third party liability, just need it to be affordable. And all users includes non-motorized, if my quad needs insurance to ride on crown land then so should all those mountain bikes on the railbeds. Same goes for public highways.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:58 PM
it's 5' of
Swollen Member

D-Ass Good newbie
Quote:
whitetrashxj Quote:
Originally Posted by dirka dave

every one should have to have some sort of insurance look at it this way if you are out on a fsr and you hit some one and hurt or kill them well your insur, will cover them but if some ass munch on a quad or bike hurt or kill you what is going to cover your ass.

I could be wrong but wouldn't be the first time

Beat your children or i will beat you!
Old 11-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Gettin' out havin' fun

coreyg8 bad newbie
sounds like he was just being a dink
Old 11-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Gettin' out havin' fun

sobe Unknown Newbie
I've hit a roadblock 7k in on a FSR. Police and CO. The only thing they picked on me for was not wearing a seatbelt. WTF? I questioned him about the laws on FSR and he said all FSR are considered a public roadway. Therefore you MUST obey all trafic rules and regulations INCLUDING wearing my seatbelt as this carries a $178 fine and "would I like one of those?"

Come to think of it your CO isn't the only prick on the force....