Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If itís outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

bcwheeler Unknown Newbie
Any Gold Miners????

thinking of buying a very affordable placer mining site on tulameen river hasnt been mined since early 1950's
anyone on here into gold panning or know much about what these site values are?
Old 10-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Albatross
Swollen Member

barracuda bad newbie
If it is cheap enough and you can find what its yeild was in the 50s then you could make an estimate
Old 10-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Team no standards

rmiller026 Good newbie
i hear theres gold in that river whut u realy wanna look for is a plot with big boulders
Old 10-07-2008, 03:16 PM
there's a visine for that

230 bad newbie
got coordinates? i can have a look.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:33 PM
time to switch to whiskey

kamloopsyota bad newbie
lookin to make money or just have fun panning?
Old 10-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Once upon a time there was huge
Swollen Member

gavman Unknown Newbie
A guy I met one time spent allot of his time looking up old records and newspapers looking for mines with good strikes.
His criteria is mines that had a good yield but flooding or a low water table stopped the work.
He then goes in with huge pumps and works he mines till he gets rich I guess,
Spends all his time in the Yukon though...
Old 10-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

bcwheeler Unknown Newbie
its very affordable and close enough to go to a coupl few times a month ... as far as prduction This operation recovered over 50kg gold, 6.2kg silver and 10.63kg platinum from 433,932 cubic metres in 1948 and 1949. Total gold production between 1885 and 1950 is estimated 229.2kg. Recorded platinum and silver production is 14.9kg and 6.2kg respectively.

Im think it would be fun its actually I think 138 acres of land its on and well worth the investments just for the getting outdoors and having some land... and its still only 5 figures to buy .. Im looking at another one that is 310 Acres with a total 3km of remote river frontage on a fault between two Mountains. Lawless (Bear) Creek is a South flowing tributary of the Tulameen River, 22km long, situated WNW of the Town of Tulameen, BC and W of Otter Creek. A 4 wheel forest and mine road provides access and trails have been established for access to the river. The lower 9km of the Creek flows through a narrow deep valley, which gradually widens upstream to for a broader, more open valley. The narrow section contains shallow gravels confined to the creek bed. Gold and lesser amounts of platinum are found in any of several occurrences along the creek. The largest nugget found to date is 585 grams, found 1886.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Long where it counts
Swollen Member

longhorn bad newbie
Sounds like you met up with the guy selling claims on Craigslist ?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Gettin' out havin' fun

Vastier Good newbie
I spent pretty near my entire summer flying prospectors around and learned a fair bit. Found some gold and copper in Northern Quebec. The river bed stuff is the sediment that's come down from where you really want to be looking. If you can find some rusty gausen underlying some outcropping bedrock, take a few samples and look for some pyrite or calcapryite...also known as spudspudspudspudspud gold. Rock has alot of silver or gold looking specks in it. If it's got some green or yellow around the pyrite then you've probably got copper or gold. It's kinda like a big vien of different rock you'll see in the side of a cliff and usually rusty from the oxidizing iron. Dig deep for a proper sample as the oxidized material is garbage and looks shiney and kinda blue. Hope this helps.
Good luck. I wouldn't buy anything untill you know that you've got something worth digging for like some samples.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Out-N-About

Jeep Victim Unknown Newbie
Worse come s to worse ,if you have enough space you could open an offroad park!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Once upon a time there was huge
Swollen Member

gavman Unknown Newbie
Yeah curious, what kind or rights do you get for the land, Can you build a cabin there or is it just the gold panning license?
Old 10-08-2008, 12:01 AM
I got kicked and now have a
Swollen Member

kootenaycat bad newbie
Double check the land usage. Usually placer claims are strictly to remove material from the water source. Doesn't give you exclusive rights to the land ie: to build a cabin, have a private camp site, etc. People tried that around here and found out quickly they don't own it. They were trying to say certain areas on the Pend D'oreille river were their own so others couldn't camp there, didn't work that way.

If you just want a claim to call your own and work for fun, go for it! I've heard of many people who do it during the summer months as a living, then coast through winter.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Having FUN IN B.C.

bcwheeler Unknown Newbie
If you just want a claim to call your own and work for fun, go for it! I've heard of many people who do it during the summer months as a living, then coast through winter.

thats all it is , Ya you dont own permanent residing rights or anything like that, but it is your claim for your private use, and other people cant o much as take a cup of water unless you give permission well thats what the law says anyway ... Im pretty savy on geology and what not , I think its more just something fun to do , and well you can make some money at it for a very low investment.. I am probably going to go take a look before the snow comes and then if I decide to do the purchase in the new year, best time for panning is after the melt on this type of lease.. Lots of huge bolders line the river bed and gravel beds abound in the area..build a couple 100 ft sluiths and start shovelling. I have a couple friends who have bought claims in the same area .. Kevin one of them had just shy of 50g last year in gold , platinum, and some other shit I cant remember !!!!!! thats worth a few weekends of panning , wheeling , and drinking... anyone in
Old 10-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Stump hunter

Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut
I have a buddy with a claim on the Tulameen river he does fairly well on it and from what i understand the Tulameen is one of very few rivers in north america that you can also pan for Platinum.......

Stay away from my Moose Ribs
Old 10-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Having FUN IN B.C.

bcwheeler Unknown Newbie
thats correct there are only a hand full in north america.. As for the Tulameen river it was one of the focal points in the huge "Fraser valley gold Rush" back in the day one of the richest placer and deep mining productions in north america ...

Mining for Gold or any metals or stones has been a dream of mine for quite some time . It has always facinated me how you can go sit at the river toss a few beers back shovel some gravel and some times walk away with a good chunk of change.... I have always had the plans of moving back to the tropics probably of Costa Rica ,build me a house in the trees and start diggin' into a couple of mountains ..I know of people down there finding 10+ ct emeralds, Now thatwould be a good day..

I think the thing here is that as much as I love to get to the outdoors up here I never seem to find the time, and in such a beautiful place its a bleeding shame , so I figure if I invest some money and time , I am kinda forcing myself out there... giving my self a reason to get out and enjoy what we got up here!! Which just so happens to mean I have to wheeling to get there and well its on a river so theres fish, and theres GOLD in THEM THERE HILLS !!!