Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > suzuki Talk

Old 06-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Outback adventurer

razr Unknown Newbie
insight

im on the market for a samy,
just wondering if some of you expert zuki guys
can give me some insight on what to look out for.
ie.
where they rust,
problems that they are prone to
just stuff to look out for

thanks
Old 06-20-2008, 11:19 PM
Gettin' out havin' fun

sobe Unknown Newbie
Dude... they tend to rust everywhere. Check the rear quarters, the floors, under the battery, windshield frame, and the frame itself. In 87 the Canadian models came with an AISIN carb, they're discontinued. The only company you can get a rebuild kit at is Nardek in Australia. Any other year is a hytachi carb and parts are available anywhere.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Gettin' out havin' fun

Little Samurai Good newbie
If there are seat covers in it check the seats, the stock vinyl seats crack somethin' fierce. If it has been sitting look for oil front and back (main seals) on the engine. When you take it for a drive get it up to 60-70 km/p/h an see if there is any wobble or shake, a little seems to be pretty common so there will likely be some but too much is not cool. As for rust all the spots that Sobe mentioned as well as around the rear gate. If you have a chance to pull the fuel filter before you buy it check for rust in the filter, this will be a sign of a rusty tank and possibly a pump that has been sucking up and choking on rust flakes for some time (will eventually burn out the pump). I think my tank and pump ran me about $500 for parts but the install is easy. Good luck, they are worth the work!!!
Old 06-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Now I see what FIBC is about

Lost_in_BC Good newbie
check for rust behind all the plastic trim bits - both front and rear fender flares, rocker panel trim, windshield frame (especially where the wiper linkage goes through) and also the tranny tunnel where the handbrake is attached.
For reliability and parts availability the later fuel injected ones are probably better (and easier to get through AirCare)
Old 07-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Now I see what FIBC is about

Lego Racer Unknown Newbie
Just like what they said! Also between the body and the heat shield for the exhaust. Gas tank holders rust pretty good. Shock mounts. Take a hammer and scewdriver and tap where it looks like it is rusting. Good luck. Remember it is only steel you can always cut and weld it back together.