Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > Dodge Talk

Old 05-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Make your own-iEdit Title in 'User CP'

crazylike bad newbie
Unhappy Captain Hook Broke My Dodge

Anyone wanna setup a ring and pinion in my dana 60's?
Its seams that Captain Hook doesn't know how to Tow a Vehicle.
My pinion nut came loose so i called a Tow truck said i'll leave the keys in the truck and since theres no front drive shaft you can just lift the back and tie off the steering wheel. he says ok be there in an hour. 2 hours later he shows up with a flat deck starts dragging the truck on to the flat deck the driveshaft pops off taking the yoke and nut and washer with it now theres nothing keeping the pinnion from moving randomly around so next the seal and the bearing pop out the pinion gets sucked into the pumpkin jamming itself into the spider gears my buddy whos watching this while talking to me on the phone asks the guy if he shouldn't maybe stop dragging the truck and see why its making such a horrible noise the guy says nah its fucked anyways and starts dragging it again then my friend asks shouldn't the driveshaft at least be tied up so it doesn't hook or bind on something he says it don't really matter. my friend says no stop i'm gonna tie it up outta the way and grab the pieces. the tow truck guy is like why bother its fucked anyways. so the guy gets here with my truck i ask him WTF is it doing on a flat deck? i told him to send a tow truck as i can't move the truck. he says for a move this far they always use a flat deck. my truck has been towed 10-15 times and they always put it on dollys, but not this guy he'd rather totally fuck my axel and turn a 25 dollar fix into a 2000 dollar job. anyways i guess the moral of the story is if you break your truck/car make sure your there when they come to get it or it maybe more broke when you do. needless to say i gonna call his boss and see if they will do anything to fix it or if i am gonna have to pay for it and try to sue them for the bill, as i do not think i should have to cover the bill for there fuck up. a 250lb torque wrench a jack a 3/8 wrench and a new pinion seal and some gear oil and i could have drove it home, but figured instead of doing the work on side of road i should get it towed home and fix it there. OOPS guess i shouldn't have done that.
Will post carnage pictures tommorrow to dark to get any now.

Last edited by crazylike : 05-22-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:25 AM
Edit Title in 'User CP' ---updated

78bronco bad newbie
good luck with the tow company ive had damage done bye one down here and they laughed at me and told me to prove it. and shitty deal man
Old 05-22-2008, 07:49 AM

crazylike bad newbie
i do have an eye witness who was on the phone with me while they where breaking it. but i do know i am gonna need the Good Luck wishing from everyone.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:55 AM
Not a Newbie

spit.fire. Unknown Newbie
sounds like a prick driver, hope you get your moneys worth out of it, good luck
Old 05-22-2008, 09:08 AM
pull my

FINGERS bad newbie

Old 05-22-2008, 09:19 AM

crazylike bad newbie
Guess i should have waited for a white driver who could understand english. He doesn't understand the difference between a tow truck and a flat deck.
eitherway my ring and pinion both have nasty chunks out of them the shims are all over the ground. it might even need a new carrier. not the best pics but heres what it looks like now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB130076.jpg (98.5 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg PB130077.jpg (111.3 KB, 181 views)
Old 05-22-2008, 09:30 AM

crazylike bad newbie
Anyone know if a Dana 60 from an intersmashable will work in my Dodge? found one for 200 bucks delivered means i'm gonna have to redo the brakes and bearings etc and so on. If it fits...

Last edited by crazylike : 05-22-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Now I see what FIBC is about

Sonofx51 bad newbie
Oh man.. thats total bs.. i'd be pissed to.. i'll stop by and check it out today. Good luck mang
Old 05-22-2008, 08:03 PM
consistently inconsistent

factor bad newbie
next time don't let people tow your truck with out you there
good luck get money out of towing companies
Old 05-22-2008, 08:54 PM
cornbinder on coils
Swollen Member

epic3 bad newbie
youre only possible saving grace is your witness but you might still be screwed
Old 05-22-2008, 11:42 PM

crazylike bad newbie
it ends up i have 3 witnesses as my friends mom and girlfriend came out of the house as the guy was hauling the truck onto a flat deck because they could hear this horrible noise and wanted know what was going on. and it ends up i now have to fix there lawn as the guy drug the truck across the boulavard and left 2 big tire marks. I wish i would have just gone home and got my wrenches. gotta go see ICBC tommorrow and give them a written statement aswell as drop of letters from my witnesses. then they go get a statement from the tow truck driver they look at the damage and then decide what they think happened and either they decide its mechanical failure or they find it was undo care and attention which cause the extensive damage. when i left the truck i was looking at a 25 dollar maximum fix. 5 buck plus tax for the nut 12.95 for the seal. and i still have some gear oil from when i originaly had the axels rebuilt. now its looking like close to 2000 looks like i'm gonna need a new carrier and gear not just ring and pinion. as the pinion is jammed on a weird downward angle into the spider gears (i think) i will know more after i talk to ICBC and see what they say i do not want to touch it till they have a look and see what happened.
i'll keep ya's updated as to how i make out.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:04 AM
giver hard

Troy bad newbie
thats a piss off. thats another reason to always be there when your truck is in someone elses hands.

i cant see the damage being over $2000. what gears are in it? 3.55 4.10? you can you new gear sets for $250, carrier you could get used for cheap, or buy a locker while your at it $600 for a detroit, bearing kit, $150, gear setup $ depends on where you go. so you could have that thing rebuilt with a locker for under a 1000 bucks. or swap it out for a used dana 70.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:15 AM
cornbinder on coils
Swollen Member

epic3 bad newbie
If ICBC is involved its 2 grand in damage
Old 05-23-2008, 10:27 AM

crazylike bad newbie
its got 4'10's init it was just rebuilt. but now i think i need a new carrier spider gears ring and pinion i have 2 new sets and a whole nother axel hopefully the carrier will fit but before i do anything i want to see if ICBC will make the tow company fix it or not.the lady at ICBC was saying they might just right the truck off if its gonna cost 2000 to fix. if they do i want to be able to buy it back. as then i will just make it into a Trailer queen.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:08 PM

crazylike bad newbie
Thumbs down

heres a few more pics of the carnage/damage that was done. including the damage to my buddies lawn.
ICBC told me i need to take it to a shop have them write a statement explaining what they think could have happened and that what i said is possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB130079.jpg (109.1 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg PB140080.jpg (79.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg PB140081.jpg (94.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg PB140082.jpg (127.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg PB140083.jpg (155.5 KB, 89 views)