Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If itís outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Here kitty kitty

BCHunter Unknown Newbie
mapsource, backroad maps

I was looking at buying the mapsource backroad maps for my GPS, does anyone here use this program?

how do you find it?
Old 02-06-2008, 05:38 PM
and his
Swollen Member

England bad newbie
pm honky
Old 02-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Now I see what FIBC is about

Zuk Rider Unknown Newbie
I've got it...... only thing I have issues with is the search function when looking for a particular spot by name. Other than that I really like it.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Outback adventurer

baluch Unknown Newbie
I use a version that's a few years old (the last one you could still download for free), and it works great in my 60CX. I have no problems with searching in either the street or topo maps. Stuck a 2gig microSD in, and I've got pretty much all the street and topo maps for western canada loaded, so I don't have to screw around before I go out.

Don't leave home without it!
Old 02-09-2008, 01:06 PM
there's a visine for that

230 bad newbie
Where do you get them for free?
I use topo canada on my 400 and is works very well,I also sync it with my laptop but if you are using vista it is tough,i dont think they have made a patch yet so you need to do a little work to get it to go in.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Rookie

TurboDodge Unknown Newbie
ya i got a garmin (gpsmap76) let me know if u can find a "free" mapsource download
Old 02-11-2008, 02:11 AM
Outback adventurer

baluch Unknown Newbie
Not positive about the 76, but I suspect it will work. Just search your favorite torrent site. Personally, I use torrentscan.com since it searches multiple sites (the best one of them IMHO is BTJunkie). If you do a search for "garmin canada" you'll find what I use. Of course there are North America maps as well, but I find they tend to have less points of interest and fine detail.

As I said, these are a few years out of date, so they're not perfect, but to me it's worth the savings of $200+.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Now I see what FIBC is about

Mud Maiden Unknown Newbie
can you download the backroad maps onto any gps? mine came with the 1GB card with the north american maps on it. will it just download right into that same card?
Old 02-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Outback adventurer

baluch Unknown Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Maiden View Post
can you download the backroad maps onto any gps? mine came with the 1GB card with the north american maps on it. will it just download right into that same card?
There's the Metroguide (cities and streets) and Topo maps (bush), they're not the same ones as the Backroad Mapbook (thank god, cuz the BR mapbook is inaccurate as hell). When you transfer them to your GPS, they either go to the internal memory or the mem card, you have to set that option in the GPS. If you have multiple mapsets in your GPS, (I have metroguide and topo Canada in mine), you have to choose which one you want to look at through the GPS options. The garmin mapsource maps will only work with garmin GPS units, all I know for sure is they work any GPSMap 60 series unit (cuz they work on a buddy's 60C, they work on my 60CX and they work on my dad's 60CSX).
Old 02-11-2008, 12:39 PM
winter camping give me a
Swollen Member

Honky bad newbie
I have MapSource TOPO Canada CDROM for the GPS... I will make a copy for an 18 pack of Buds

Last edited by Honky : 02-11-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:44 PM
winter camping give me a
Swollen Member

Honky bad newbie
you can also buy copy here for $120
http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories...topocanada.htm
Old 02-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Outback adventurer

baluch Unknown Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honky View Post
I have MapSource TOPO Canada CDROM for the GPS... I will make a copy for an 18 pack of Buds
The newer copies (last 2 or 3 years) are keyed to the s/n of the GPS, so they won't work on just anyone's GPS.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:59 PM
winter camping give me a
Swollen Member

Honky bad newbie
i have the older copy i guess because there are a few people out there with my copy
Old 02-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Gettin' out havin' fun

sobe Unknown Newbie
Hey thanks for this post. I keep meaning to download the topo maps and always forget. I read this post last night, searched for it and started dl. Woke up this morning and it's all finished. Just got to burn it to disk and load'er up.

The Pirate Bay was the best one I could find. 25 seeders and only 5-6 leeches so it went pretty quick.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:36 AM
winter camping give me a
Swollen Member

Honky bad newbie
that's handy. Didn't know you can download the maps