Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If itís outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

CNC bad newbie
We have always had labs and now Sadie (rottie). All good dogs!

A friend of mine had a border collie. Very active dog! and noisy....

Our neighbor has a sheltie that gets walked 2x's a day and is still very high strung and barks at everything.

The larger the breed the mellower they seem to be.... The shorter the hair or single coat = less work cleaning/brushing/de-matting from whatever they get into on camping trips....

Good luck in the search for the next family member.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Now I see what FIBC is about

Secret Agent Man Unknown Newbie
Ten Peeves that Dogs Have About Humans
'1' Blaming your farts on me.
not funny... not funny at all !!!

--------------------------------------------------
'2' Yelling at me for barking.
I'M A FRIGGIN' DOG, YOU IDIOT!

'3' Taking me for a walk, then
not letting me check stuff out.
Exactly whose walk is this anyway?

'4' Any trick that involves balancing
on my nose. Stop it!

'5' Any haircut that involves bows or ribbons.
Now you know why we chew your stuff
up when you're not home.

'6' The sleight of hand, fake fetch throw.
You fooled a dog! Whoooo Hoooooooo what
a proud moment for the top of the chain.
'7' Taking me to the vet for "the big snip",
then acting surprised when I freak
out every time we go back!

'8' Getting upset when I sniff the crotches of your guests.
Sorry, but I haven't quite mastered that handshake thing yet.

'9' Dog sweaters. Hello ???
Haven't you noticed the fur?

'10" How you act disgusted when I lick myself.
Look, we both know the truth. You're just jealous.

Now lay off me on some of these things.
We both know who's boss here!
You don't see me picking up your poop do you?
EVERY DOG HAS HIS DAY.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.

CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!
Old 01-11-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC View Post
The larger the breed the mellower they seem to be.... The shorter the hair or single coat = less work cleaning/brushing/de-matting from whatever they get into on camping trips....
Mean like that dead seal my sister's Wolf/Malamute cross rolled in a few summers back in Tofino when they were camping....

Or the time(s) that they get sprayed for gettin to close to the "two-toned pussy cat"
Old 01-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Outback adventurer

3/4 ton of fun Unknown Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Agent Man View Post
Mean like that dead seal my sister's Wolf/Malamute cross rolled in a few summers back in Tofino when they were camping....

Or the time(s) that they get sprayed for gettin to close to the "two-toned pussy cat"
Wow!!! Dead seal, I can smell that from here Sort of like the stink Cookie likes to roll in at the dog park..
Old 01-12-2008, 08:46 PM
wanna see my
Swollen Member

Cookie bad newbie
ya that sick, who knows what it was. fish?
Old 01-12-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
ya that sick, who knows what it was. fish?
Dead fish is easy.. Jasper rolled in dead salmon last run. But that seal was somethin else...

Jasper

and Pandora
Old 01-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Out-N-About

whazhappenin69 bad newbie
I think any dog has the potential to be great or terrible. It all comes down to how much time and love and training you give them, regardless of the breed.
My favorite dog was my Black lab / Border X, had him for 12 years untill cancer finally got him. He was extremely loyal, easy to train smart and always alot of fun to be around and always gentle with the kids. I now have a blue healer X, he is a bit harder to train, doesn't like to sit still too long and has a short attention span (but he is still under a year old). That said, he is also very gentle and good with the kids. I've even watched my daughter pull him around by the tail and he doesn't seem to mind at all.
The two main things I've read about healers is they are not good with kids and they are dog agressive, neither of which has been true.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Outback adventurer

Little Yello Jeep Unknown Newbie
Border collie = the ned of big open spaces.they run alot.my aunt and uncle had 1 on there farm. that sucker would race the quad and lets just say i think it an run longer than you running outta gas. unless you want to take it 4x4in with you everyweekend and have abig back yard. or gaint hamster wheel. I qwouldnt sujest it event hough i love those dogs i couldnt get 1.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:54 AM
Rookie

white Good newbie
bcs are the best thing in life... I'm on my second and third.
I would post tones of pics, but no patience... would rather play frisbee
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Outback adventurer

Little Yello Jeep Unknown Newbie
get a communinal Border Collie for everyone on the block and fence in the block there problem solved
Old 01-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Not a Newbie

Zibi Good newbie
Behavior problems in dogs are usually caused by not getting out enough, they get bored and find different ways to burn energy. For a family dog I'd get a lab cross something. Labs are great, but mutts are better, more character and they live longer. My lab/dalmation died at age 15-16ish this summer and I just had to take my aunts pure bread golden retriever to be put down at age 10.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:26 AM
You can't do that on television eh barf
Swollen Member

Hello Kitty bad newbie
get anything other than the fucken flea bag my landlord just got.

some shit mix dog flown in from chile.

the dog is cute but the second she leaves the house is howls and barks for hours on end.

told her i was gonna kill it unless she started beating it.

ya right i wouldn't do anything but pet it but fuck. i work opposite hours than her.

stupid fucken dog is goin missing.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Having FUN IN B.C.

Redneck Cowgirl Unknown Newbie
I had a border collie growing up, they are one of the smartest dogs I have ever owned, but because they are so smart they get board fast and can turn easly into a problem dog. But they can make a great family dog, easy to train, tons of energy will keep up with you no mater what your doing. Also since they are a herding bred they have they might try moiving you around, witch is cute until they start bitting your heels. They also can be easly excited, such as kids running around and screaming, and will go into herding mood (most have there very strong back ground as working dogs) If trained and given enough to do this is a great bred....

If your looking for a bred that is smaller, but still full of energy I would say a Australian shepherd, they are also a herding bred some can be a little larger then a border collie but by a few pounds. I find they are calmer, so if you what a day of watching tv they will lay down with ya... But also a very energetic bred, so will keep up to hiking or a quad all day, even hauling there own pack. They are VERY smart, easy to train, and there hair is a little shorter then a collies making there grooming a more easy up keep.

Border Collies dont really have a off button, this is great if your herding 300 sheep everyday, but not so great if you want a down day. Australian Shepherds have all the good qualties that a collies has but also a off button, they are not a lazy mans dog at all, but will be a great dog also on those down days. And I found the Australian shepherd to be a more gentle bred.

I have worked with both breds, and yes I am sure there are some great collies out there and some shitty shepherds, but this is just how I see it.

Also some of the best dogs I have owned were pound puppies... mixed bred is almost always the way I go with dogs now, I have had better dogs from the pound, personalty and health wise.

Try this site www.petfinder.com

This site rescues Australian Shepherds in Canada http://www.aussierescuecanada.com/

good luck
Old 01-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Having FUN IN B.C.

Redneck Cowgirl Unknown Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by . View Post
get anything other than the fucken flea bag my landlord just got.

some shit mix dog flown in from chile.

the dog is cute but the second she leaves the house is howls and barks for hours on end.

told her i was gonna kill it unless she started beating it.

ya right i wouldn't do anything but pet it but fuck. i work opposite hours than her.

stupid fucken dog is goin missing.
What somtimes works to help train a dog out of that, is giving her a kong toy with peanut butter or somthing so she is busy for a few hours. there are great toys out there for that.

Also try training her to speak, yes train her to bark, then you will have a off switch. This dog my have issues with being abandond, but maybe spend a day leaving but staying out side of the door, get a good book and everything she starts to bark use you off switch, but do not give her a treat cause then she will learn to bark for a treat. But if you spend the whole day doing it she will soon learn that your there, or coming back soon.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Boy I'm glad I don't have a
Swollen Member

curlee has much to be proud ofcurlee has much to be proud ofcurlee has much to be proud ofcurlee has much to be proud ofcurlee has much to be proud ofcurlee has much to be proud ofcurlee has much to be proud ofcurlee has much to be proud of
...except it's his landlord's dog?