Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > Jeep Talk

Jeep Talk The only true 4x4

Old 11-28-2007, 11:53 PM
Happy Newbie :)

nbrowser Good newbie
89 XJ 4.0, idles at an amazing 1,800RPM !

As the title states, my lil XJ has started to idle at about 1,800RPM ....silly I know, any ideas as I'm new to this engine ! I took it wheelin this past sunday, rocked it a lot and managed to unsettle some vacuum lines but have reatached the ones I could find to make it driveable again but that idle is a stumping point, HELP !
Old 11-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Now I see what FIBC is about

Matt bad newbie
early xj's are know for throttle position sensor problems causing a high idle. carefull though they need to be adjusted properly when installed.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:30 PM

nbrowser Good newbie
Welp, my scaner reports the TPS is functioning properly, 0 to 100 when the pedal is mashed in a smooth motion, checked each and every vacuum line on the rig, everything is connected to where it's supposed to go.....I cleaned the IAC, throttly body n intake all nice, stumped as I might be I"ll figure the fucker out and get it back on the trails. Oh anyone know of a place to get front sway bar disconnects for a stock height XJ ? I'm planning on simply removing the back one completely......don't need the thing.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:40 PM

HooliganXJ Unknown Newbie
high idle can also be caused by an intake leak. Mine did the same thing check it by spraying carb cleaner or similiar along the intake manifold if the idle drops that is where the leak is
Old 12-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Gettin' out havin' fun

lornix Unknown Newbie
Same thing was happening to me when I first got my XJ. Drove me nuts! What I discovered is that sometimes I would put my foot into it a bit when starting the beast. The idle would be all over the map until I shut it off for 10 minutes or so. It seemed like the idle would stay at whatever RPM I was at when I depressed the clutch pedal. Once I realized what I was doing and stopped doing it, the problem only occurs once in a blue moon now. I think "assisting" it to start messes up the idle sensor somehow.

I dunno, might be worth a shot.

09 Sahara Unlimted - The XJ has gone to the great rock pile in the sky RIP
Old 12-13-2007, 06:25 PM

nbrowser Good newbie
eh I've just about thrown in the towel here with my XJ, can't seen to figure this out.....high idle, extremely lousy fuel economy, like 200K to a tank if I"m lucky,I"ve checked everything and things sem to be working correctly.....I"m at a loss....mebbe it's time to consider an engine swap.....ugh
Old 12-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Out-N-About

Growly Gorilla bad newbie
If you have a scanner what's your iac counts? And what are your O2 sensors doing? long term fuel trim? Is it a MAP or MAF system?And check your ECT(engine coolant temp.sender) May not be working and staying in open loop.

Last edited by Growly Gorilla : 12-13-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:17 PM

nbrowser Good newbie
Welp, there might be an '89 XJ posted for sale for parts soon.....she's not co-operating, got the idle down but she drinks $70 in gas in less than 200K......really really burning my rear.....
Old 01-16-2008, 11:06 PM

nbrowser Good newbie
Ok.....got the idle down.....by pinching off a hose that goes from the intake manifold to the valve cover.....noticed that the hose is screwed....nothing a new hose will replace but the round thing that goes into the valve cover is loose....anyone know where to get a new rubber grommet for it ? oh and to agree with lornix, 89 XJ - A complicated system of ropes and ponies and hoses....