Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > General 4x4 Discussion

General 4x4 Discussion General discussion and questions that would apply to all makes.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:50 AM
Outback adventurer

shawnw Unknown Newbie
Diesels?

I've got a few questions about diesels. I've been looking for a truck, more specifically a Ram and I would prefer the diesel just for the strength and durability of the engine. The 94 and up bodystyles with the diesels are out of my price range but there is lots of the 5.2 and 5.9 gassers. I found a 92 2500 diesel for a half decent price and will be going out to look at it tomorrow. So just a couple of things before I head out there.

1- What are the most important thing to look at when looking over a diesel
2- What are the differences in operating cost like between diesels and gas
3- I know about the tranny on the dodges, any other major widowmakers hiding
4- And finally what would you guys (and gals) suggest? Diesel or gas, if gas the 5.2 or 5.9. It would be an older diesel or newer gas.
Thanks for any input.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:52 AM
Not a Newbie

u2slow bad newbie
1- Not sure with Cummins.
2- 50% better mpgs
3- killer dowel pin? axle unit-bearings? axle disconnect?
4- diesel - even if it meant going to the older body style to keep it affordable

IMO, I'd change my brand choice before I cheaped out for a gasser.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Not a Newbie

jeepingpw bad newbie
The basic design of the 5.9 Cummins has been around since the '50's. It was used alot in skidders.

The older non-computerized are easy to work on as all a diesel needs to run is air & fuel. The newer ones are more $$ to fix if it has computer issues.

As for economy, my dad has a '04 Dodge & gets around 23mpg.

I had a '86 Ford , 6.9 non-turbo = 15 mpg
& a '95 Power Stroke & got 12mpg empty.

Oil changes are more expensive due to the volume of oil & changing more often.

As for power, SB over a diesel, hands down a diesel.

Before you buy it, take it to a dealer & get it checked out. Better to be out $100 for an inspection than to buy someones POS

one day I'm going to put a 7.3 in my Bronco
Old 11-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Having FUN IN B.C.

Justin_B Unknown Newbie
diesels are sweet, i got the 5.9 in my 96 dodge, with a 5 speed and im getting like around 350km to half tank from full. i do mostly highway driving to and from work though. id let it drop below half tank, but then fill ups get expenisve hahah.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Outback adventurer

shawnw Unknown Newbie
So I went and took a quick look at it this evening. The trucks in pretty good shape, body and paint are really good. could use some new tires but that would be coming anyways. The engine compartment looked very clen and sll the fluids were clean but not freshly replaced. It had a new battery as well. Started up all but immediatly after about 3 or 4 seconds warming up the glow plugs. A lot less chatter than some of the diesels out there. The normal puff of black smoke. If I can get rid of my car I think I'll be putting a down payment on this. After a full inspection of course.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:39 PM
giver hard

Troy bad newbie
go with a 94-96 ford f250 turbo diesel 7.3 Liter
Old 11-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Outback adventurer

shawnw Unknown Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy
I have considered it and it still is a possibility, but I've veen raised with Dodge trucks and it'd be kinda hard to cross over to the blue oval.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Not a Newbie

u2slow bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy
That's what I chose too (well, F350). Cheaper than a Cummins, and tougher than the IFS Chevy crap.

EDIT: I considered the 89-93 Dodge CTD, but I needed a crewcab. Even so, I think my Ford was cheaper.

Last edited by u2slow : 11-04-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:50 AM
Having FUN IN B.C.

tenpack bad newbie
the cummins 1st gens go from 89-93. The 5.9L engines are all mechanical with a VE rotary style injection pump. You can crank em up for more fuel, people like to downsize from a 21cm exhaust housing to 16, 14, 12 for faster spool up, the stock one is rather slow. The normal injectors, exhaust etc. applies. A notable thing is that the 92/93 engines are intercooler, although a common mod for the pre 92's is to a get a intercooler from a '01 PSD and use it, they are a common size and whatnot.

Transmissions: they came with a slough of automatics, the good 727, 518, a518 and so on. Basically, like any auto, get a big ass cooler and a deeep dish. The more preferable choise is the getrag 360 which is a 5 spd, a decent transmission but its max. acceptable power limit is right around the cummins ouput so its a bit of a gamble. They arent bad, but if you had the time there are numerous kits that allow you to swap in the nv4500, a MUCH better unit.

Problems, the usual. Diesels are famous for their reliability and power, but only if they are well kept. The engines are so heavy that the front ends have issues with the steering compontens, so make sure it isnt sloppy. If you're serious, spend the money and get the truck inspected. PDR in port kells charges 80 buicks an hour, worth it. Their guys can tell an issue by sound or driving it just from their experience.Beware of assholes flipping trucks, ive stumbled accross it before and its hard to tell, just luck on my part.

if theres any fuck ups,s orry im just having my 1st cup of coffee.Cheers
Old 11-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Out-N-About

Location: Hell freezes over (-40) every year, northern alberta
4doorShorty Unknown Newbie
IDI Fords (6.9L-7.3L to '94) used the stanadyne IP like the mechanical cummins did. They are good engines, get an F350 and youll have a D60 front. Id stear clear of chev's, they duramax may be a good engine but the truck is meant for highway only IMO, and the older non duramax chev diesels are the WORST diesel to get by far.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Not a Newbie

killman bad newbie
Here is my opinon. If your going to by an older truck you can't beat the cummins other than it is in a Dodge but you can't get away from that unless you do a transplant. The older chevs are good trucks and the engines are quite reliable but gutless. The Ford wich I have a 01 crewcab dually has good power but you Know the old saying( Fix Or Repair Daily) It just seems like ther is always somthing that needs to be fixed. Never had that problem with my chevy's.
Hope it helps.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:31 PM
giver hard

Troy bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by killman
Here is my opinon. If your going to by an older truck you can't beat the cummins other than it is in a Dodge but you can't get away from that unless you do a transplant. The older chevs are good trucks and the engines are quite reliable but gutless. The Ford wich I have a 01 crewcab dually has good power but you Know the old saying( Fix Or Repair Daily) It just seems like ther is always somthing that needs to be fixed. Never had that problem with my chevy's.
Hope it helps.
i agree with you about the fords breakin down all the time..cause its mostly true and chevs are easier to work on but for some reason im attracted to older 78 and 79's ford trucks too bad those years didnt have diesels that would be wicked
Old 11-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Not a Newbie

killman bad newbie
Put a old cummins in one then you would have a truck! There is a couple around here that years and done nice!
Old 11-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Not a Newbie

westcoaster bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnw
So I went and took a quick look at it this evening. The trucks in pretty good shape, body and paint are really good. could use some new tires but that would be coming anyways. The engine compartment looked very clen and sll the fluids were clean but not freshly replaced. It had a new battery as well. Started up all but immediatly after about 3 or 4 seconds warming up the glow plugs. A lot less chatter than some of the diesels out there. The normal puff of black smoke. If I can get rid of my car I think I'll be putting a down payment on this. After a full inspection of course.
First the 5.9 cummins doesn't have glow plugs, It has a heater grid that pre heats the intake air. Far more reliable and less costly to operate than a motor with glow plugs.

Open the doors and look in the area inside the doors above the top hinge is where the body would crack (cowl cracks) if the truck has seen much off road. If it is cracked there is a patch available for it otherwise it is what it is ad it can leak water...

brakes are naturally poor...

The motor should have the valves adjusted this should be considered a regular maintaince item after so many tens of thousands of Km.

Find yourself a kidney belt. Your going to need it....
Old 11-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Outback adventurer

shawnw Unknown Newbie
going over the truck it's obvious this truck hasn't seen much in the way of off roading. It was a tow rig and the 4X4 was seldom used. It has been taken care of pretty good just looking at the overall appearance of the truck. Remember that the paint on the late 80's early 90's Dodge liked to peel unless washed and waxed regularly. Any truck I get will be getting a full inspection prior to buying. Thanks to all for the help.