Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If itís outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:26 PM
smarter then the average bear

trevyota bad newbie
no prob boss,

i dont think that 60% of the teacher's showing up makes a difference,

if they didnt like it they had there chance to vote, no they gotta walk the line, that's there choice, they gotta deal with it

and if they wana strike, we gotta deal with it,

people are blaming the teacher's on this and i cant see why. i sure as hell wouldnt wana put up with an imposed contract, i'll tell them to go fuckem selves. they cant fire all the teacher's can they?

Old 10-14-2005, 02:57 AM
working the rails and lovin' it

nykoma bad newbie
the
goverment
and teachers

--------------------------------
LIFT IT, FAT CHICKS CAN'T CLIMB
Old 10-14-2005, 09:55 AM

koso bad newbie
all i can say is im starting to get bored during the day, and this is effing up my grade 12 year

GIT-R-DONE
Old 10-14-2005, 07:02 PM
I love my kids so much and Todd has a
Swollen Member

Cece bad newbie
damn teachers say they are doing this for the students... what a big fat lie! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$... that is their motivation. they don't care about the students at all. if they did, they would have done this on their own time this past summer.

If it isn't illegal, doesn't hurt anyone and it feels good, then do it!
Old 10-14-2005, 09:05 PM

trevyota bad newbie
when they werent getting paid.

where's the bargining leverage there?

Old 10-14-2005, 09:31 PM
Swollen Member

Cece bad newbie
They are not getting paid now either and are screwing up the student's education in the process... I think that the students are getting the raw end of the deal.

I'm in a union myself and I've been out on strike.I've been legislated back to work by the government. I have had no raise in my last contract. My job is tougher now than it was before.Conditions are worse. I've learned to deal with it. It's not right, but it is what it is.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:39 PM

trevyota bad newbie
at least the teacher's have the backbone to stay out

i'm assumming your talking about the hospital worker's

i think you guy's might be otu there wit the teacher's on monday.

the whole point of union's is to make sure the employer's dont push us around.

personally. if shit get's worse and no one is doing anything about it. fight for seomthign better or quit

sure the student's are gettin a couple week's behind.

but with better class sizes and funding, and yah they want more money but still

it's not all about the $$

cuz if it was, they wouldnt be teacher's in the first place.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:13 PM

ShortStack bad newbie
thats what i get called on bc4x4 when i give tech advice or an opinion on something.

[)]

Like jenny said ... you dont like your job, or the WORK involved with that job ... then QUIT. They are paid damn good.

Um ... so i dont like doing detailed workorders, part of my job. Which is basically the same as doing a report card. I do it. Why???? CAUSE ITS PART OF THE JOB DESCRIPTION, which is already put into the pay. If I dont do that work order, that work doesn't get billed to the customer. They dont do schedules and report cards, they dont know what to teach. And btw, they have teaching manuals to follow, they just have to pick the parst their gonna teach.

Maybe my problem is Jinny Sims. God she seems arogant about her position. She can't even get her story straight about the votes, if she was my union leader i'd be voting her out.

What are they teaching the kids right now? They are saying they dont have to listen to the courts or the government. Fuck em .. we're the boss. No one learns if we dont teach. Uh, the religious schools are still in full swing and my nephew learned more at his daycare than he did in kindergarten last year. These are people our kids are supposed to look up to. I feel sorry for the ones that think they are supporting a good cause holding those signs up. If they talked to people that have been in the school system before them, they'd see the teachers aren't fighting only for them.

Now should we talk about ESL and about whats probably really holding the classes back? Or is that taboo...kinda like going after the 'minority' that used force and deadly weapons during the container strike.

Its all about money. I graduated with honors. When we had a problem with smoething during class and the teacher wasn't able to help us we asked friends, or the smart people in class. Oh and dare i say had study groups. Even in elementary, we'd get together at lunch or after school.

Everyone wants it easy, dont want to work for anything. Well thats fine, but dont freaking bitch about it. You get paid for what you do, and what you want to put out for.

If it was truly about hte kids they'd strike before school started. Because they KNEW their contract was up. Maybe people would have been more open minded. They were hired to do a service in the community, they dont wanna do it. Fire 'em and get the people that dont have jobs but have the same training in there.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:20 PM

ShortStack bad newbie
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trevyota

but the wages arent even keepign up with the infaltion rate.

The demand for Journeypeople is extremely high, same for Engineers. Our sectors haven't gotten raises and its not likely we will, specially with the fuel prices or working for smaller shops.

Just because the cost of living goes up doesnt' mean pay is going to. Might have to budget more, buy western family instead of Name brand. Thats how life is. Life doesn't follow the economy.

And like others have said. No students no jobs no pay. They cut college classes because of low or no attendance. They dont shut the whole system down because of it.

Maybe teachers should be in a union.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:39 PM

trevyota bad newbie
ok work order's
during your shift, paid time or what ever you wana call it.
teacher's do get prep time,yes but not enough to satisfy the input wanted by the parent's of the honour student's

how about the education minister saying that the liberal's are now a spectator in this dispute,

it's between the BCTF and the court's

that's like bringing your older brother to beat a kid up that YOU started shit with

just lame

the government's should finished the shit they start when they imposed the first contract.

i dont se how a society can function if the price of everything goes up at a steady rate and wages dont change.

there's a nasty end to that one,

lots of people out there will need a better wage sooner or later, there's a bunch of contract's comein up again in the spring so i hear

it's not like the teacher's are the only ones invloved in the contract, if the liberal's didnt wana endanger our kid's learning, they would have fixed this b4 the year started or at least got the ball rolling

they neglected to deal with it. liberal's playing hard ball over contract's = everyone's kid's and our province's future suffers

i am hugely bias in this one as we all can see

but the whole thing about barganing is that they barter for what they want, settling in hte middle soemwhere

they should just sit down and get it over with, because it has to happen sooner or later, i dont think that the government is saving money, and a general strike wouldnt help

just some more stuff for us all to think about

and i really like how this isnt getting outa hand, almost did with hte blazer***** comment, but it was unintended
it's nice to see that we can debate this in a civil manner,

i'm dont remeber the whole container strike , could you please explain to me what happened?

mabey we can find some common ground

Old 10-14-2005, 10:52 PM
im covered in FUCK!

shockless bad newbie
honestly i dont give a flying fuck all i know is i dont have to go to school and i love it

__________________________________________________ ______________________
87 F250 300/4.9l/ stock running gear/3:54s
mods: k&n filter,3 inch trailmaster body lift,31's,roll bar, warn manual hubs,
coming soon:
sas, highsteer, 456's,351 windsor, 38-40s
"I lifted my truck cause fat chicks cant climb"
Old 10-15-2005, 10:12 AM
time to switch to whiskey

kamloopsyota bad newbie
might not have to go to school at all for another week or two. heard on the radio the teachers are holdin tight and the pulp and paper workers railway workers and some other ones are doin a one day walkout to show support

I am the righteous hammer of God and that hammer is coming down!

OO-RAH!
Old 10-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Out-N-About

Roy bad newbie
I hope you're willing to pay even higher taxes

Roy
Old 10-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Swollen Member

Cece bad newbie
I've been in a union for 16 years.I've been out on strike before. I've also been out once for support of another union and my wages suffered. How fair is that? If my union is asked to go out in support of the teachers illegal strike, and my employer tells me to come to work, I will go to work.I work for my employer, not my union. I have bills to pay and do not want my wages docked for an illegal strike.If it was a legal strike, then I have no choice.

Also, if my job became too unbearable with the increased work and tougher conditions, then I would quit. Upon saying that,I like my job and am staying.

Old 10-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Make your own-iEdit Title in 'User CP'

On the Zone bad newbie
I went and read the links that Barracuda posted. Interesting, but with any stats you can adjust to make the view read as the way they want it to be read. Stats are unfortunately not the whole truth.

But after reading those stats, hearing many different views, (on the board and off) I have decided that I don't know enough about this situation to fully make an informed decision on which side I sit with. I have many views, pros and cons for both sides. The longer they stay out the less public support they will have.

One thing for sure is: My son needs his education.

~Lost~.