Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If itís outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 10-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Albatross
Swollen Member

barracuda bad newbie
cookie i would say a large portion of teachers got into teaching because they either took useless Degrees or could not find work or stay employed in their chosen field or they just plain old did not like working in the area of study they chose.
if you have a degree in basket weaving you just need you teachers certificate to teach . we know several people that have taken up teaching because of these reasons. In my mind it is a pretty good gig if you can swing it.

"A level" mobile welder
mig,tig,alum spool,stick
rates start at $65 an hr
welder rental from $125 per day

The way to a mans heart is through his zipper!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 02:48 PM

ShortStack bad newbie
Its about money, the class size thing is to save face.

They had all summer off and knew their contracts were up before classes started. They could have fought over the summer on THEIR time instead of OUR time. Their wages aren't unjust and neither is the law saying its an illegal strike.

I graduated with honors and we had class sizes of 35, that was in 97. So thats bull that its too high, it isn't new and obviously hasn't gotten worse. They dont want to babysit and deal with the kids that dont want to pay attention. Well, it was a babysitting job before they started and they knew it. No one has ever said the life of a teacher is glamorous, other than their what 2.5 month vacation every year. Not to mention spring break and christmas.

So they work from 7-3. Maybe have to take home stuff to mark at the end of the night, or plan the next day. Its life. Even as a mechanic i'd still take home work after a 12hour day.

so booo fucking hooo....

I wanna see a teacher that voted to this strike make it in the real world with a real job like the rest of us.

thats it for now.
~BlazerBitch

Old 10-12-2005, 03:30 PM
Make your own-iEdit Title in 'User CP'

On the Zone bad newbie
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BlazerGirl

Its about money, the class size thing is to save face.

and we had class sizes of 35, that was in 97. So thats bull that its too high,
when at primary levels i think it is too high, at that level of learning, the less in a class the better.

I don't think they need a wage increase, they make more than enough right now...but, look at what they do, they teach to our future generations of running this world. What do hockey players do? Entertain. There's a big difference. Look at movie and TV celebrities, what do they get? top wages for entertainment. If money was to go anywhere it should go to teachers, the Medical sector, police and firemen. (I know that hockey is not funded by the government, nor are celebs, but society today has this all wrong)

So i ride both fences. I don't agree they need a wage increase, right now that is.

I do agree that smaller class sizes are in need.

and my child is the one suffering.

~Lost~.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:56 PM

ShortStack bad newbie
In elementary we had teacher aids that would rotate thru the school. That helped a little.

I dont think the money should go to salaries. It should go into the school for books, teacher aids and stuff like counselling.

My nephew goes to school in abby now and if he gets even a little rowdy they send him home. The school wont give him counselling becuase there is one councellor for the school and is there maybe twice a week. It wasn't as bad in mission, but almost the same. So maybe its the town and town size. But if the teachers salaries keep going up then how do we pay for schools, books, and supplies? More taxes no one wants to pay, for teaching and support that isn't there.

So when a teacher wont teach kids because they throw a pencil or push a kid in the playground, but send him home. I can't agree with them getting more money. All they seem to want to do is read from the teaching manual and get the day over with. They dont help the kids at lunch or after school either.

You give some you get some.

There are tons of teachers that dont have jobs that would teach for the current contract. That DO want to teach.

As mechanics we make the world go round. No truck and transportation, no , no supplies, no nothing. I'm pretty sure the teachers get better treatment and benefits.

Old 10-12-2005, 05:27 PM
I really do love Honky's huge

Hey Ann bad newbie
Sorry, I'm still on the side of teachers. My son has been in the school system for 6 years now & from what I know, the teachers were already forced into a contract 4 years ago. At that time the government promised to talk to them over negotiations & never did.

And as far as class size goes, 35 at any level is too many when you have a son like mine with some social & learning difficulties. My kids go to a school that is in it's 6th year open with 5 portables on site & on a waiting list for a 6th. We have 560 students in a school built for 407. Where's the sense in that?

Our government does not put high priority on education or health care. We live in a community that is the fastest growing, house-wise, in all of BC. Surrey is in desparate need of more schools & the government has put a freeze on any new schools being built anywhere in the province.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:28 PM

ShortStack bad newbie
Mine has that too, maybe thats why they got along so good. And thats where I believe the money should go. Not to their paychecks when they aren't willing to help the system or bend a little for the kids. Cause thats what its about. The kids and thier education.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:32 PM
Now I see what FIBC is about

Big-Luke bad newbie
man i get affected and i go to kwantlen but its thru a secondary skool so my tech is part of the BCTU so im liek this is bunk

Curently truckless
Old 10-12-2005, 11:16 PM
Now I see what FIBC is about

bigyellowbronco bad newbie
the teachers havent had a wage increase in 10 years....the government promised that to them along with shortened class sizes and more help for the needy....but what does the government do...they slowly fazed out the promise af higher wages and more help for the special needed kids......I'm in grade 12 this year and I realy dont want this to mess up me graduating but the teachers are in the right..... cause I know I wouldnt wanna get screwed over in what is rightfully deserved and pluss who else is gonna teach us...I say give them the money so they can all stop this shit and get back to teaching the future generations
Old 10-13-2005, 03:15 AM
working the rails and lovin' it

nykoma bad newbie
the teachers and the goverment both need to grow up
my 5 year old is more grown up then both of them together

"So grow the up you two and play nice!"

--------------------------------
LIFT IT, FAT CHICKS CAN'T CLIMB
Old 10-13-2005, 06:50 AM
kill cancer
Swollen Member

bakelite bad newbie
As a Union member (Steelworkers Local 1-425)I support the teachers 100%. The last platform for a Union is strike and civil disobedience, they have the guts to do both. After all this time trying to get a contract that is not forced upon them by the government they must be at their wits end to resolve this. I believe they see this as the only way to get what they want, improve things for students and still end up with some dignity.

Old 10-13-2005, 07:30 AM
Stump hunter

Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut
Fucken teacher...........

Your village called their idiotís missing
Old 10-13-2005, 07:39 AM

stuckle bad newbie
well...

im going tomorow to go ans show my support for the union...im a union guy myself...and my dad;s the VP of ouy Longshorman's union...so imm gona be out there....

i think we will be back monday by the looks of it

92 Full-Size Blazer, 33 Inch Duellers, Bilstein's, and Lunchlady Horns
Old 10-13-2005, 07:51 AM

stuckle bad newbie
and...

HERES TO UNIONS

92 Full-Size Blazer, 33 Inch Duellers, Bilstein's, and Lunchlady Horns
Old 10-13-2005, 08:04 AM
smarter then the average bear

trevyota bad newbie
god on yah dave

i dont know to many guy's on here that would be happy with a 0,0,0 wage increase forced upon them

and for everyone who's sayin that the teacher's shouldnt be breaking the law, wtf, gordon campbell, the head of the government, DUI in hawaii how many years ago, at least the teacher's arent endangering lives, there just exercising there right's to a fair settlement.

both sides do need to get it figured out cuz family's cant keep there kid's at home for much longer........

it seem's like very time a contract comes up that involves the government they try to play hardball like there saving us money, last time i checked no one is saving money by missing work and paying for babysitting etc.

i remember the nurses union goign on strike

they only lasted a day after the LRB told them it was illegal, good on the teacher's for sticking to it, at least soemone has the ball's to try and get what they want.

and blazerbitch.

teacher's work more then a 7 to 3

the amount of planning it takes at the begining of the year and reportcard's and all that kinda crap, they dont get paid for, and they dont get paid for there summer,

which mean's thay have to save all year round to support them selves and there family's

both of my parent's work fulltime in the school system, one as a teacher and one as a teacher's assistant,

andi can say that teacher's dont really get paid alott, there's never been an excess amount of money around here.

sorry if i offended, it's just my .02$

and dave need's to learn

so if you guy's want your kid's back in school

support the teachers unioin

and all union's for that matter

cuz if we dont were gunna get pushed around by hte prick's that we vote in every electoin hoping that they'll be different then the last.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:25 AM
Stump hunter

Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut
I would dare anyone to walk up there boss and ask for a raze today. I bet you would hear this answerer-{NO}-If you didn't like the answerer and walked off the job in protest....Do you really think you would have a job to come back to????.....We are all in the same boat.with down sizing and steam lining to make things more cost efficient our work loads have increased but our pay has not.We are expected to all work a little harder for our money these days.I have NO FUCKING SYMPATHY FOR THESE SPOILED ROTTEN LITTLE BABIES. Its all bout the money for these people.They are paid for every head over and above the alotted class size.More kids more money,less kids in classes less money in there pockets.

Your village called their idiotís missing