Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > General 4x4 Discussion

General 4x4 Discussion General discussion and questions that would apply to all makes.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Not a Newbie

thrillbilly Good newbie
narrowing down oil burning/pinging issue

99 ram 1500 5.2
276,000kms

was using oil, poor fuel mileage, and occasoinally puffing oil. also fouled #8 plug again and again (according to my old man, he was friends with the orginal owner)

ifound out about the intake manifold plenum gasket being an issue on these things.

took it all apart, manifold was coated in oil, entire thing was black on the inside.

cleaned it all up, resealed it with new gaskets, put it together. seemed to run muuuuch better. did a trip to merrit on may long and while there, noticed the oil pressure gauge drop to zero occasionally. topped up the oil (2.5L) and drove home. its been needing a liter or two every few days.

I thought the gasket maybe didnt seal, so i redid the plenum gasket and all other intake gaskets, AGAIN. it was slightly oily in there, definitely some buildup since i did it a week prior.

it seemed to run ok for a day, now back to puffing blue on accelleration, or after prolonged idle and blip the throttle it will puff a cloud.

also accompanied with pinging/detonation.. like the oil is burning with the mixture lowering the octane.

so basically its detonating on medium-heavy throttle, and burning blue often.
like at least a liter a day type burning.

my thoughts are either valve seals or piston rings? anyone have an idea by this paragraph of a story .
Old 05-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Nothing Runs Like a Deere

85chevy Good newbie
Compression test it. Dry then wet if the the pressure stays the same after the wet test its valves if its low if it increases with couple squirts of oil in the cylinder its rings they should all be within a specification for ur engine
Old 05-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Not a Newbie

thrillbilly Good newbie
not sure if its just from low oil or maybe a symptom of some kind of other issue, but when i come to a stop the oil pressure drops to 0 and check gauges light chimes. when i blip the gas it comes back up to 275 on the gauge, or just under half way. and when i start driving again it goes right up to 275 or just below half on the gauge. just when i come to a stop the gauge reads 0
Old 05-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Not a Newbie

thrillbilly Good newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85chevy View Post
Compression test it. Dry then wet if the the pressure stays the same after the wet test its valves if its low if it increases with couple squirts of oil in the cylinder its rings they should all be within a specification for ur engine

cool awesome ill look into this. i've done head gasket and engine swap but never fixed or diagnosed this much oil being burnt. thanks man.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:35 PM
Cact
Swollen Member

4skin Good newbie
Is the PVC plugged but the loss of oil press when you stop
is more a sign the motor is worn out or the pickup has fallen off
A leak down test will tell you more than a comp test
With the hi km on it and the truck having a history of oil use
Think you need a motor just pull the oil fill cap and see how much blow by it has
I had a truck that comp tested excellent but smoked and went through oil like yours is
The top ring was good but second ring was broken and oil rings were seized
Old 05-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Nothing Runs Like a Deere

85chevy Good newbie
Pulling ur plugs and looking for signs of oil will help to but 4skin is right compression test probably won't turn up anything because ur burning so much oil that its creating compression
Old 05-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Not a Newbie

thrillbilly Good newbie
the rear passenger plug foils cause it gets so gunked up in crap. just that one tho the rest were fine.

pcv was gunked up but still rattled when u shake it. replaced it anyways. no difference.

it drives ok till its fully warmed up then it starts burnin more and detonating more.

im leanin towards thinkin it needs rings not just valve seals... sucks cause it runs so strong when its not burning oil .

how long can somethin run in this conditoin

and anyone know of any magnum 318 or 360s for sale?
Old 05-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Not a Newbie

thrillbilly Good newbie
probably cylinder 8 (rear passenger) rings are toast?
Old 05-25-2013, 01:10 AM
Cact
Swollen Member

4skin Good newbie
Well it could run a long time if it was just rings the loss of oil press worries
Me more that's what will strand you
And the detonation is what's causing the crappy milage
Before you would hear it the computer pulls timing out
So it's running with the timing retarded a lot of the time
And the way it's going through oil how many times has it been ran low on oil
Old 05-25-2013, 02:30 AM
having fun wheeling with a
Swollen Member

Fencepostxjay Good newbie
and what 4skin said mine went into limp mode and it drank the fuel ,
i had the same prob no leaks but slowly loosing oil but not burning , at least not enough to see , then one day playing at stave it started to smoke but went way , but now i was going through oil badly , i had to put oil in about every 3 days , mine turned out to be a common prob with the magnums with the bee hive intake manifold , the plenum gasket, was gone as seen in pics , my #8 was really bad , have a look into the intake and see if there is oil or if wet in intake , it may be same thing as mine , if gone and let to get worse it will suck the oil right out of the motor just about daily , it gets that bad , i drove mine for about a year before it gave up on me , just about a full rebuild , but yes check compression , my #8 was low but if going as far as rings do all other bearings too i didnt do lower bearings and i should have , i had to put a high flow pump in to make up for loose bearings i have them now but to find the time to roll them out
there is a kit to fix prob from hughes replaces the steel plate with aluminum so it wont expand and shrink at different rates
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...partid=2709 1

hope this helps and not your prob
if you need any parts let me know i may have them , my spare motor is in truck so dont have hole motor but my old one is in pieces

Last edited by Fencepostxjay : 05-25-2013 at 02:34 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Not a Newbie

thrillbilly Good newbie
hey xj thanks for the reply. the crazy thing is i've done the plenum gasket, i was told about it too so i did it, ran great for a bit but then drove to merrit for may long and it started burnin again. when i got home i looked into manifold from the TB and saw oil so i said FUCK a couple times then redid all the intake gaskets again... put it back together took my time and babied it, no issues, next day its back to puffin blue and detonating. havent looked in to see if its wet in there again, if it is i HIGHLY doubt its from the plenum, since its been done twice in 2 weeks. oil must be getting in there somewhere else?

and the oil pressure issue, ive come to the slight assumption its from crud and sludge being sucked up from the oil pan once the engine is hot? havent had a oil change in long time and its an old engine 276kms.

when i come to a stop and oil pressure drops to 0 in half a second. when i blip the throttle or resume driving it goes right back up to 275 on the gauge. and it shoots up n down not slowly falling / climbing.

i put in higher visc oil and seafoam for the carbon in there and its running pretty good right now.

might have to just baby it till i have time / $ for a full rebuild..?

id just hate for it to be a small issue thats fixable and tear the whole engine apart.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Not a Newbie

thrillbilly Good newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4skin View Post
Well it could run a long time if it was just rings the loss of oil press worries
Me more that's what will strand you
And the detonation is what's causing the crappy milage
Before you would hear it the computer pulls timing out
So it's running with the timing retarded a lot of the time
And the way it's going through oil how many times has it been ran low on oil
everytime the check gauges light has come on, i top it up. so its never ran LOW low, just gone down to the "add" section of the dipstick.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:21 AM
Swollen Member

That plenum is a bitch. If that tin pan isn't true. You will keep blowing gaskets. One way is to fix with the huges plenum fix And be done with it. But check compression. Too. I had to do mine twice. After fixing. I found 2 low cylinders so again. . That's why I did just about full rebuild. The bottom bearings didn't come in in time so I had to drive it. I still have them in a box . But my low oil pressure now is because of the bearings. At idle it dropped to nothing. When warm. I added lucus. To try and solve. But it did the same just at a higher temp. I had to put a high flow oil pump in to compansate for bearings. I know bad way. But no time and bearings weren't in yet. If you have done the plenum twice already. I would just about say again and Somthing is wrong with the beehive or the pan. I did mine ounce. And plenum is still good. And I drive it hard. That way I can justify the fuel Milage . Because with the intake and oil issues. The computer goes to limp mode and sucks gas An pinging. It will just get worse. Your pistons probly look like mine did. And that crud recked the rings. I think I did mine. Plenum, rings , valve seals , and gaskets. For around 250-300. If I remember right I have a beehive and tb. From my old motor if needed. Both my motors did the same thing Around the 260-280000 mark. I have te compression tester if needed Oh. And don't try to adjust timing or move the distributer for ping. Ih found out you can't. By turning the distributor. Alters the fuel timing. Not spark. I spent a lot of time on phone and computer to find same prob Fn dodge But i wouldnt give up my truck . Its the same. 99 quad 318 4 spd , Lol. Was a 5 I lost 2nd gear 3 years ago still runs . I like the old motors 3 wires. Is all you need. No computer.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 AM
cornbinder on coils
Swollen Member

epic3 bad newbie
Mines got a high rise single plane intake. Problem prevented.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Swollen Member

Nice. My next motor. Was going to get some parts . Huges engines has some cool stuff for the magnum motor. But anything cool costs money. Lol