Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If itís outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Not a Newbie

Yager Good newbie
Bear Safety

Soooo. I live in an area where there are bear, and I try and go for a walk every morning before 7. How foolish is it to not carry bear spray? From what I've been reading online they are much more scared of me than I of them (one even said a black bear mom would likely abandon her cubs when frightened) but that doesnt sound realistic to me.... so ya, I'd appreciate real answers for this, as I really hate carrying things while walking (but also dont want to be mauled by a bear) thanks
Old 05-16-2013, 12:49 PM
Jimmy Rustler

Chody bad newbie
i just carry my 12G
Old 05-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Not a Newbie

Yager Good newbie
. that might result in having my walk cut short by one of the many prison guards/army guys that pass me in the morning. (and I still have to carry something)
Old 05-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Quit Looking At My
Swollen Member

Metal Mulisha Good newbie
Sooo if you live in an area with Bear......then one would be lead to believe it would be in one's best interest to carry some sort of Bear repelent.

seems pretty self explanatory to me
Old 05-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Jimmy Rustler

Chody bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yager View Post
. that might result in having my walk cut short by one of the many prison guards/army guys that pass me in the morning. (and I still have to carry something)
let the army guys worry about the bear then
Old 05-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Prospect

Deggs Good newbie
80% more fatalities from blacks than browns according to my CORE instructor. they disembowel rather than beat you down.

That said I have yet to ever see an aggressive black or brown myself. Usually make a bunch of noise and they boogie out of the campsite.

Since walking down the street with yer 12g is probably going to cause you some grief... bear spray wouldn't be a bad idea.

You never know.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:32 PM
Cact
Swollen Member

4skin Good newbie
Wear a bell seriously you are more likely to be attacked if you startle them
One of those small clip on ones for bar fishing would do
Always kind of wondered how effective bear spray is
Will it deter them or piss them off??
Think spraying a charging bear you're getting fu either way
But should work good for that crack head that keeps asking for a smoke
Or change
Old 05-16-2013, 01:44 PM
jamming in my
Swollen Member

procircuit Good newbie
walking stick with bells?...
Old 05-16-2013, 02:10 PM
winter camping give me a
Swollen Member

Honky bad newbie
A Bell? ….Oh good idea have her wear a dinner bell to tell the bears it’s time to eat.

Just kidding

Bears are like big rats of the forest. You are NOT a source. I wouldn’t give it a 2nd thought. Just don’t be stupid and give her cubs a scratch behind the ears or rub their belly. And yes a bell is a good idea. They want nothing to do with you and if they hear you they will go the other way.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Gettin' out havin' fun

bigrig81 Good newbie
I take my dog almost every morning for a 4-5k run on trails in the bush off the end of our rd. I have seen quite a bit of sign in the last few weeks (turned stones, bark peeled of logs, rotting logs chewed apart), but have yet to see one. They are more of an evening animal than they are morning so you're less likely to see one in the am. watch some youtube videos on identifying bear behaviour and then you'll be good to go. Bear spray DOES work really well, but has to be used right (ie close range with proper wind direction) and it's not too bad to carry, but I just carry a knife in my pocket sometimes on the very very rare chance you might need to use it.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Rollin like a redneck
Swollen Member

Happypants Good newbie
Don't rule out the momma leaving her cubs and running, I watched it happen when my boss chased a mother bear outta his yard and one of the cubs went up the tree, the momma bear wouldn't come near my boss, he was pissed cuz they were in his garbage cans when I pulled upto his house, fuck it was funny cause my boss is about 120 pounds, if that
Old 05-16-2013, 03:58 PM
loosing pavement gives me a
Swollen Member

Trailjunkie Good newbie
been around bear's my whole life and im still here so. make noise ie. jingling keys a small bell ect.. doesn't need to be to loud , they can hear real good. and yes when it comes down to it bear spay is better than no bear spray. walking stick is gooder if needed to defend yourself aim for the face or nose is best. if you get between mom and cubs your gonna get a reaction. so back away slow . like honky said they would rather never see you so help them out and announce yourself and youl be fine.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Not a Newbie

Yager Good newbie
my horrendously off key singing (yes my ipod sound is quiet, I dont want to be surprised either) should be good enough to announce my presence . Thanks for the help guys. Lots of info out there and so hard to know whats real and whats not.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Nothing Runs Like a Deere

85chevy Good newbie
Yup bell ftw then they can hear u coming and just wander away instead of u startling them
Old 05-16-2013, 08:13 PM
Albatross
Swollen Member

barracuda bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honky View Post
A Bell? ….Oh good idea have her wear a dinner bell to tell the bears it’s time to eat.

Just kidding

Bears are like big rats of the forest. You are NOT a source. I wouldn’t give it a 2nd thought. Just don’t be stupid and give her cubs a scratch behind the ears or rub their belly. And yes a bell is a good idea. They want nothing to do with you and if they hear you they will go the other way.

Not true at all bears can and do act aggressively and are as individual as stray dogs some may run some may skulk and some may bluff charge which can sometimes roll into a real charge. Just be aware and treat them with respect bears that are a problem are normally ones that see you as a f00d source directly or indirectly or ones that are defensive territorial ,f00d cache , cubs etc.

Bear spray is there for a reason carry it if you want .

Last edited by barracuda : 05-16-2013 at 08:16 PM.