Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > suzuki Talk

Old 03-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Having FUN IN B.C.

sparkes3 bad newbie
88 sami electrical problems

i got a 88 sami that im working on as i have said before.the other day it died and would not start so i checked the battery totally dead ,give it a boost and it fires up.
ok no problem new battery fixes that and it did for a couple of weeks and then dead again so i go looking for the reason its not charging and find that i did not plug in the wires on the back of the altenator just put the ones on the posts on so i plug in the ones i missed and hit the key instant smoke show under hood burnt off a wire that went to the positive terminal on the battery.
fixed the wire and tried again same thing (engine did not turn over at all either time)same results .
so i unplug the plug on the altenator leave the wires on the posts as before hit the key and now there is nothing .swap alternators try again still nothing checked fuses all good starter is good, any ideas as to what i should check next and what might have caused the wire to burn off in the first place.
its my first sami and i want to get it wheelin.
appreciate any and all help thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Out-N-About

SuzukiSamurai Good newbie
There is a fusable link between the distributor and firewall, is that still there?
Do you have lights, any power at all coming from the battary?
I'll be around next week and can give you a hand in the morning
Old 03-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Not a Newbie

yoda604 Good newbie
bad ground. Is your positive and negative lead going from the battery to starter/ground in the same loom? could be that the insulation is worn out making them ground together. Dare I say computer? could have fried. unfortunate but true. Check all your grounds first, on second thought replace your positive and negative leads, try again. Make sure you have a nice new solid ground going from the battery to your block.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Now I see what FIBC is about

redwingfan_number19 bad newbie
Theres one wire that goes from the charging post on teh alternator to teh battery, ( a thicker white wire )
and then theres one 3 prong green plug that plugs into the back of the alternator. thats all.

It sounds like you may have a ground or something connected somewhere it shouldn't be.

Matt
Old 03-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

sparkes3 bad newbie
the thicker white wire is the one that keeps burning off.
i will check the link and grounds on my next turn around
Old 03-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Now I see what FIBC is about

redwingfan_number19 bad newbie
Check the ignition switch in the column, the factory service manual shows the white/yellow wire going to the fuse block fuses for ( both headlights, brake light switch, horn, 4 ways) which can all be turned on when the vehicles ignition is not which makes sense, it also shows the white/yellow branching off to the ignition switch which if burnt will cause you to have no lights in your dash/no auxillary and no starter, then the white/yellow continues on to a fusible link which is a foot or so from the battery maybe ( i'm unsure if my truck still has the fusible link, though I would suggest leaving it there if its there )
If it will help I can scan the fsm wiring diagram but it will be on two pages which may be more confusing than anything.

I would bet on burnt wires to teh ignition switch, my ignition fried itself as well, I'm unsure why the white/yellow wire of thicker gauge would burn though. When you do get it running, check to be sure the alternator is charging properly, not overcharging? they are internally regulated.

Hope this helps,

Matt