Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If itís outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:03 AM
Original Chia Head

crimsen bad newbie
i read this thread and cant help but laugh.

your worried about the wireless giving you cancer? this is a worry for you? what about the use of cell phones around you? you got wireless internet? bluetooth?

you think this meter can tell what devices are hooked up and in use or not? there is no toaster electricity, computer electricity, tv, stove, dishwasher, incandescent bulb, or led electricity. electricity goes through the meter and is measured. done deal.

i am a little iffy on if this can be used to detect theft. when they hook up grow rooms, the way they steal the power is to bypass the meter (tap into the line before the meter) if you are bypassing the meter, smart or regular, im not sure how they will detect it.

Official FIBC DD
Old 12-22-2011, 12:11 AM
Prospect

johny5 bad newbie
I would be more concerned about them increasing rates during peak power uses times

I can see them charging extra for using your stove at dinner time or your ac on a hot day.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Cact
Swollen Member

4skin Good newbie
they did ours last week would have been nice to have known they were doing it
lost something i was working on on computron when power was disconected
Old 12-22-2011, 12:40 AM
Albatross
Swollen Member

barracuda bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsen View Post
i read this thread and cant help but laugh.

your worried about the wireless giving you cancer? this is a worry for you? what about the use of cell phones around you? you got wireless internet? bluetooth?

you think this meter can tell what devices are hooked up and in use or not? there is no toaster electricity, computer electricity, tv, stove, dishwasher, incandescent bulb, or led electricity. electricity goes through the meter and is measured. done deal.

i am a little iffy on if this can be used to detect theft. when they hook up grow rooms, the way they steal the power is to bypass the meter (tap into the line before the meter) if you are bypassing the meter, smart or regular, im not sure how they will detect it.

The bypasing or tampering of the meter is detected and an alarm is sent out . They also monitor consumption before the meter and at the meter so if x amount of power is being drawn from a section of users and it doesnt match up with the meters then they know there is leakage .

It monitors it from station to end user and places in between.

pretty sure eventually they will have peak hour usage and such .

I allready have my smart meter http://www.bchydro.com/energy_in_bc/...rd_smartmeters

Last edited by barracuda : 12-22-2011 at 12:44 AM. Reason: http://www.bchydro.com/energy_in_bc/projects/smart_metering_infrastructure_program.html?WT.mc_id=rd_smartmeters
Old 12-22-2011, 06:11 AM
My carbon print is the size of a crater
Swollen Member

dirka dave bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by johny5 View Post
I would be more concerned about them increasing rates during peak power uses times

I can see them charging extra for using your stove at dinner time or your ac on a hot day.

Thats what I was thinking
Old 12-22-2011, 06:29 AM
Normal people make good pets
Swollen Member

Candiass bad newbie
So far there been no increase. Had mine for about a year and actually for some reason my hydro bills are lower. Probably just coincidence.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:27 AM
kill cancer
Swollen Member

bakelite bad newbie
You know in the end we will be paying more for hydro and considering where we live it is already overpriced.
I don't like the idea of anyone monitoring anything about my life, mind your own business. Fuck BC Hydro and all other government run monopolies.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Prospect

mountain man Unknown Newbie
[quote=bakelite;1618753]You know in the end we will be paying more for hydro and considering where we live it is already overpriced.
I don't like the idea of anyone monitoring anything about my life, mind your own business. Fuck BC Hydro and all other government run monopolies. [/QUOTE

I love all these people pissing and moaning about these meters!! take a quick inventory of your life and see if any other part of your life is monitored already....... Do you have a credit card? How about a points card at a grocery store? How about a vehicle with GPS or Onstar? Do you have the internet? what about a cell phone? All of these concern me more than the power company installing a "smart meter". YES it will lead to more expensive power at "peak times"..... so just turn your grow lights on in the evening!
Old 12-22-2011, 11:37 AM
cornbinder on coils
Swollen Member

epic3 bad newbie
No the machine watches you. If shit like this as appluaded and accepted whats next smart speed meters in your car?
Old 12-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Having FUN IN B.C.

64CJ6Willy Good newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic3 View Post
No the machine watches you. If shit like this as appluaded and accepted whats next smart speed meters in your car?
They already have those in semi's. The gps trackers they use tell homebase everything.

I'm a peice of shit, I treat women like shit because I'm a fucking douchebag and I deserve to have my face dragged across concrete,
Old 12-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Having FUN IN B.C.

64CJ6Willy Good newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
The bypasing or tampering of the meter is detected and an alarm is sent out . They also monitor consumption before the meter and at the meter so if x amount of power is being drawn from a section of users and it doesnt match up with the meters then they know there is leakage .
And the real reason for them is stated!

I'm a peice of shit, I treat women like shit because I'm a fucking douchebag and I deserve to have my face dragged across concrete,
Old 12-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Outback adventurer

bandog Good newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic3 View Post
My 2002 pickup truck has a stock cpu that records EVERYTHING. I suspect most GM vehicles these days do this.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Having FUN IN B.C.

64CJ6Willy Good newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandog View Post
My 2002 pickup truck has a stock cpu that records EVERYTHING. I suspect most GM vehicles these days do this.
All about the warranty. If they can see what you have been doing to cause the damage, then they can deny millions a year in parts and labour.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Blame it on my A.d.D

Lieutenant Johnson bad newbie
Because what they are using it for isnt ALL illegal anyways now ...
Old 12-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Frog Legs

4Lo bad newbie
Alot of newer devices and appliances have technology built into them that "talks" to smart meters. That is how the meter knows what device or appliance you are using at what time.

I would support this statement with a google search link for you but I won't lie, I am just too damn lazy to.