Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > Jeep Talk

Jeep Talk The only true 4x4

Old 12-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

64CJ6Willy Good newbie
My 64 CJ-6 Willys

Well I figured it was time to post up my current build. I bought this 1964 Willys CJ-6 Universal in January of 2011 after wanting to build a Real Jeep, made by Willys Kaiser and appropriately a true round headlight Jeep.

Sure there's jeeps out there being made everyday, but seriously after Chrysler bought out AMC in the late 80's, what's being made is just a Dodge in Jeeps clothing. The YJ was, and always will be the last of the true Jeeps, as it was the last AMC design of the "Universal Civilian Jeep".

Afterall all Chysler really did was change the original Kaiser CJ-7 design by adding square headlights and slightly longer nose to accomodate their engines, emmisions and crap.

So here's the beginings of my build, and where I plan to go with it:

So only 6277 CJ-6's were made in the 9 yrs before mine was built. It came with the original 4 cylinder flathead, the T90 tranny, Spicer 18 transfer case, and a rare original working Warn overdrive for a final 1.25 reduction to get above the stock 55 MPH on the highway.

I Love the four shifters.... makes a person's head shake in curiousity.

Anyways it came with a 302 ford already adapted and installed to the T90 but that leaves me with another dilemma that I'll discuss later.
First things first was to remove another rare and beautiful item that accented this purchase and that was the original aftermarket Kelly All-Steel Jeep Cab ( http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/Hardtops/Kelly.html ).

All the glass is in great shape, but there is some cancer in a few of the frames that was sandwiched in the gasket. A later project before next fall (2012) when the rain returns and I'll need it. New tinted glass is one of the scheduled upgrades for it during it's summer rebuild.

So onto my wish list for this build, keeping in mind that this will be my daily driver, and also my weekend wheeler.
As it sits right now I am driving the wifes Chrysler Grand Cherokee (Jeep WJ) as my daily driver, and we bought her a mazda precidia for her commuting, as it's way cheaper on gas than the Dodge will ever be.
With that being done, it left me with my first donor vehicle for this budget build, my Renegade. A sheetkicked, beat, and thrashed by me, 1992 Jeep YJ (Dodge's Yuppy Jeep)

So this vehicle will be my frame and suspension donor as it's based on the AMC CJ-7 frame which will easily accomodate the Jeep V8 I will be inserting, and since it used to be my daily driver and weekend wheeler, I have already installed a 4 inch lift, OBA, and built my own winch plate, air tank, and custom rear bumper with receiver.

Only hurdle that I will have to overcome, and really it's nothing as I am a welder by trade, is to extend the frame from 93.3" wheelbase to the required 101" from the CJ-6. I'll post up pics as that is the second stage of this build.

As I stated above, this Willy's came with a 302 Ford motor implanted with a Novac's adapter (ford???? WTF was buddy thinking anyways??). I'll sell that later to pay for another part I'll require in stage 3 of this build.

So the third stage is the drivetrain, as I want to wheel this baby!!

What better vehicle for a stage three donor than a 1976 AMC Jeep J20 equipped with a rebuilt 360 V8, GM THM400, QuadraTrac, Dana 44 front, and for the cherry on the sundae.... a Dana 60-3. Did I mention a Mercury 10,000 lb winch dealer option installed in the frame up front? Even works perfectly!!!!!

Sweet thing about this truck is that as well as with the CJ-6, the J20 has also got both right-hand pumpkins (differentials) on front and rear axles. Nice upgrade from the CJ-6's stock Dana44 rear, and Dana 25 front IMO!!!!! This stage will require SOA installation and pics will follow hopefully soon as I'm jonesin big time now.
Now that I've hopefully shown you the direction that I'm heading, here's a few pics of the teardown, and my current work on the tub.

Here's my partner in crime during this build, and it will probably be the first vehicle he wheels.

First on the list is bodywork, and yep THERE'S a lot to be done.

Luckily the front end is in decent shape, compared to the rear that is, so I'll leave it for the end of the bodywork stage. Some of the mods I want to make bodywise to this machine are custom built tube flat fenders, and a complete rollcage since it never came with one, yet alone a rollbar.

The back of this tub had some serious mileage and shows it's age so out it comes:

Worst part about all of this was grinding out all the spot welds. Yep drilling would have easier, but in some places you couldn't see them, and I wasn't a fan of filling all those freakin holes on the reassemble stage.

One of the nice things I happened to notice while drinking beer one day is that the tubs of the 64, and the 92 are absolutely identical inside. Same wheelwells, same stamped floor, same floor length, and most importantly same curveture. This got me to thinking about cutting out the renegade to patch up the CJ, however it's a POS and would be 8 times the work. So it's off to the boneyard and for $200 bux and a couple hours work I got this for my donor tub.

Look at how clean this tub is! Sweetness! I drilled all the spot welds out on this tub because I could see them and I'll use them for my plug welds upon re-assembly. I then got to noticing that if you flip the fenders over and put to the oppisite side the body seams on the outside would match. YJ has them on the sides after the corner, CJ on the back, But Damn This Will Work Perfect!!!!!

Only downfall was I had to make my own flat bends on the corners as the YJ has a different top slope for the hardtop, and the CJ has a stepout in it's design.

Lot's of holes to fill from all the drilling, and since I don't have a brake, clamps, a brass block, and hammers make me a new corner for insertion.

I also had to repair one of the wheelwells, and Holy Freakin Sheet wouldn't you know it..... the wheelwells from the YJ are the same as well. More donor parts from the $200.00 tub.

So new skins for passenger corner and wheelwell tacked into place and off to the otherside I go.

I plan on doing old school repairs to this so in the spirit of the original assembly of this vehicle in 1964 I'll braze the newer parts in. It also puts less heat into the panels, and mig welding just loves to blow more holes on thin edges :P

Driver's side was an easy fix, but again a homemade brake did the job for the seam, and tacked in as well.

Rub A Dub Tub Time!!!! 95% of the prep was done for the tub fitting, but with a couple cuts I could drop it in and mark out the remaining cuts on the floor to finalize the fit. I also had to chop the old frame in a few rusted through places to allow for the YJ's rear crossmember that I left on the tub for bolting to the YJ frame, and for finishing the back of the exterior tub.

You can see the old seam slots on the sides, and the new rear seam slots, as well as the cutouts for the factory antenna slots that are on both of the sides.

Little fight, little love, and just like that a 92 YJ interior tub in a 64 CJ exterior.

So with a few more lines scratched into the 2 parts I'm that much closer to finishing off the rear tub portion. Cut some floor out of my 92 renegade to make 2 more patches.

Well that's where I am now as of monday night as tonite's project (07/12/2011) was to type all this up, and last night i ran out of propane in the shop so i had lots of pics to edit, delete and upload.

I'll post up in a few weeks as progress continues, and if you want you can see all the pics @ http://s480.photobucket.com/albums/r...s/CJ6%20Build/
Thanks for visiting.

I'm a peice of shit, I treat women like shit because I'm a fucking douchebag and I deserve to have my face dragged across concrete,

Last edited by 64CJ6Willy : 12-07-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Blame it on my A.d.D

Lieutenant Johnson bad newbie
Finally gettin r done! Right on bud.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Wheeling a Golf Cart gives me a

harvester_sorrow Good newbie
looking good...

done yet?
Old 12-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Edit Title in 'User CP' ---updated

78bronco bad newbie
nice build and cool way of fixin the rust in the back
Old 12-08-2011, 12:57 AM
loosing pavement gives me a
Swollen Member

Trailjunkie Good newbie
gona be nice man . envy sit's on the other side of the screen and stares at yer willys.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:59 AM
MacGyver

Old 12-08-2011, 08:29 AM
iEdit Title in 'User CP'

crazybushcreature Good newbie
great project u have going on there.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Cact
Swollen Member

4skin Good newbie
nice builld but brazeing putting less heat into it
brazing is old school hack get some 023 wire for your mig
amd turn it down
brazing has litle strength on a butt joint
and once you braze it you cant use other welding methods
to repair it when it cracks and it will crack
Old 12-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Having FUN IN B.C.

BleepinJeep Good newbie
Lookin good buddy!, When you think you will have it on the trail?
Old 12-08-2011, 09:13 AM
kill cancer
Swollen Member

bakelite bad newbie
Sweet
Old 12-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

64CJ6Willy Good newbie
Thanks guys for all the comments, feels good to finally know I'm getting shit done and making it happen.
4skin - your advice taken to heart and acted upon. I ordered in a roll and some tips today, P/U tommorow :P
Cody - I'm aiming for march, but depending on cashflow and workload.... that could be Family day, or my b-day in may LOL
Mac - Good to see ya over, and thanks. Look forward to wheelin with ya again soon.
Thanks Todd, and I'm workin on it Jamie.

I'm a peice of shit, I treat women like shit because I'm a fucking douchebag and I deserve to have my face dragged across concrete,
Old 12-08-2011, 05:26 PM
mushroom capped

atoyot Good newbie
neat...
for a jeep...

buildy buildy...

Old 12-08-2011, 07:12 PM
665 neighbor of the beast

Tunabomber has a reputation beyond reputeTunabomber has a reputation beyond reputeTunabomber has a reputation beyond reputeTunabomber has a reputation beyond reputeTunabomber has a reputation beyond reputeTunabomber has a reputation beyond reputeTunabomber has a reputation beyond reputeTunabomber has a reputation beyond reputeTunabomber has a reputation beyond reputeTunabomber has a reputation beyond reputeTunabomber has a reputation beyond repute
and subscribed
Old 12-08-2011, 07:23 PM
iEdited my Title in 'User CP'

Hellboy Unknown Newbie
Nice build.... Looks gooder and 4 shifters is pretty funny
Old 12-08-2011, 11:55 PM
Cact
Swollen Member

4skin Good newbie
the trick is to tack it ever couple inches keep moving around
i cool every tack with a damp rag
keep tacking til there about a inch apart