Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > Chevy ramblings

Old 11-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
Duramax 6.6 oil pressure?

I have a 2003 Chev duramax 6.6 and the computer has been saying low oil pressure at times and guage reading low too. Just over 300,000 kms on it. Thought I'd attach a mechanical pressure guage to block. Anyone know of a spot to attach it? Heard somewhere near oil filter...
Old 11-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Nothing Runs Like a Deere

85chevy Good newbie
Did u check the oil?
Old 11-23-2011, 08:20 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
I know I need to change trhe oil but its always been low on pressure guage . I dont know yet. Had lots of oil but I'll check again .
Old 12-12-2011, 08:11 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
Changed oil, and as it starts gushes out the drain pan is filling way way too much. Figured 16-18 liters came out. My mechanic buddy said leaking injectors or not changing oil regularly. A few weeks ago another mechanic buddy of mine hooked his "snap on" computer to my truck since it was not shifting properly at 80 km/h. He found about 6 error codes and reset them. I came back three days later and 2-3 error codes had came back, specifically ones dealing with fuel and injectors. So now with new oil in truck for past three days oil pressure has never been better . I guess that oil & diesel mixture did a nice cleaning. My truck also belches smoke when you punch it and you can tell when its idling, say when unloading firewood from the box it is running really rich. So I guess its time to replace injectors? Someone also mentioned if the diesel delivery system is electrical or mechanical, diesel pressure could be staying on after ignition is turned off causing fuel to leak through injectors, or say mechanical and something is leaking past pump into crankcase. This all baffles me so I guess time to take it to a garage or are injectors something a backyard mechanic guy do himself. Feels like too many thingsa to check what it could be for me to figure out....
Old 12-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
Oh yah, my truck is a 2003 Chev Silverado with 6.6 duramax if anyone has had similar problems.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:31 PM

85chevy Good newbie
This is probably ur problem

RPO LB7 (engine code "1") was first introduced in 2001 and continued until mid 2004. It is a 32-valve design with high-pressure common-rail direct injection and a experimental composite design cylinder head. The most problematic issue with the LB7 is injector failure. Fuel leaked and entered the crankcase, causing oil dilution. Early on customers came forward complaining of severe overheating, and also in some situations blown head gaskets. Initially GM denied it was a problem, but after being sued by a consumer group, GM relented and included overheating and blown head gaskets as a warranted item. GM issued a warranty for this after the fact for injectors, which now have 7 year/200,000 mile coverage.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:02 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
Thanks!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
My Mechanic I called in early Dec finally called me back today. He said he is 99% certain my fuel injector pump is the culpurt. He said if the injectors were leaking I would be having a ;ot more serious problems. So on the phone he qouted me $1100 for injector pump and $500-600 labour to change it. I asked if I could do it and he said if I made mistake I could cause problems entailing engine to have to be pulled apart. $$$ is a wee tight since Christmas so anyone know if these qoutes are reasonable? He said new injector pump would come from Diesel Shop in Kamloops. I was going to ask if Lordco could get it yet did not ask .

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and have a happy new year!
Old 12-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Out-N-About

tchevy Unknown Newbie
i work for gm so take this for what it is....

if you truck is not running proper, it could be an injection pump. (CP3)
but if u are getting overfilling of the crankcase then its your injectors, the injector bodys crack and leak raw diesel into the crankcase. i have the same year dmax as u as well. at 300 for stock injectors you did well. if your mechanic is replacing your cp3 for a overfilling of crankcase problem, you should have someone else looking at it no offence. its not cheap, and all injectors avalible for this truck are reman, but watch out, no all injectors are remanned the same....

it wont be cheap, but it is the fix.. good luck
Old 12-30-2011, 01:35 PM

85chevy Good newbie
Go right ahead and change it but pretty sure its not the CP3 pump.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:57 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
Yah lots of $$ to spend. I'll have another Mechanic check it out. Plus buddy gave me number at GM in Houston?? that is a disesel service manager guru so I'll call him too. The other guy who is 99% sure did say he would need to check my vin and some other numbers, yet everone including yourself are pointing at leaky injectors... Thanks.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:02 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
The mechanic that thinks its an injector pump hooked his snap on computer to my truck. If he hooks it up again would you suggest any codes that may help?? CP3 is not a code I expect. My injectors look easy to change on my old tractor but a 03 6.6 may be more complicated??
Old 12-31-2011, 09:20 AM

85chevy Good newbie
There is no actual test to check the pump because the tool crib guy at school had his go and the only way to check it was to go through a list of stuff with yes and no answers and in the end it pointed to the pump but if ur truck is running its not the pump. The teacher actually was talking to the a guy at valley fuel injection and that was what he said too.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
Just went and seen my mechanic and he said the pump can still fuel the injectors yet can leak past front main seal into engine crankcase. Based o the 16-18 liters of dilluted diesel engine oil I drained out, if the injectors were the cause it would be blowing blue, lots of smoke, etc etc. He will inspect pump and if it looks good go from there. So I got about 2000 kms on new engine oil so going to drain it this weekend and see how much diesel has added to its volume. Should only drain approx. 9.5 liters so I'll keep you all posted. My Mechanic did say he has done one pump in the past and that was the cause of diesel in oil.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Out-N-About

tchevy Unknown Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by godtool View Post
Just went and seen my mechanic and he said the pump can still fuel the injectors yet can leak past front main seal into engine crankcase. Based o the 16-18 liters of dilluted diesel engine oil I drained out, if the injectors were the cause it would be blowing blue, lots of smoke, etc etc. He will inspect pump and if it looks good go from there. So I got about 2000 kms on new engine oil so going to drain it this weekend and see how much diesel has added to its volume. Should only drain approx. 9.5 liters so I'll keep you all posted. My Mechanic did say he has done one pump in the past and that was the cause of diesel in oil.
just cause iits leaking fuel doesnt mean injectors will make it smoke or blow blue, the injector body cracks and leaks past.

alot can happen at 23000 psi u know