Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If itís outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:24 AM
Gettin' out havin' fun

bigrig81 Good newbie
Any must do places to see North of PG?

Hey guys, I've been asking around and just had a thought that i should throw it up on here too.... just wondering if you guys have any suggestions for things my wife and I should see this summer? We are tentatively planning a trip north..... at the very least going from PG over to terrace area, then north along the Cassiar to Watson Lake and back down and around through the Peace area and back to PG and home. was hoping you might have some awesome places you've been mainly on that route, but if we have enough temptation we might even be lured into going north into yukon more or even NWT

Any ideas?

Old 05-14-2011, 07:26 AM
Gettin' out havin' fun

bigrig81 Good newbie
Don't forget to throw in any ideas of off the main road suggestions bc that's going to be a major goal for us too! I would rather go somewhere awesome that's farther to get to then just do the main hwy attractions, but i am totally open to anything!
Old 05-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Long where it counts
Swollen Member

longhorn bad newbie
Same trip Im doing this year but Im going to go to Whitehorse while im at it.
Going in July ...
Old 05-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Make your own-iEdit Title in 'User CP'

crazylike bad newbie
well then if ya wanna go 4 baggin on the way take the telkwa trail that starts at telkwa obviously and goes to terrace area then you could back track a bit on highway 16 to kitwanga then head north towards dease lake take a small back track to stuart and checkout the glacier you might even see the fox he always running up side of highway by bell I, then the beautiful drive to bell II maybe take a helicopter tour if not there lots of stuff to see. i was just through there on way to whitehorse roads good only maybe 2 k of gravel now. all but 2 patches are at bottom of the switch backs at stikine river. when you get to watson lake check out the sign posts if i was you though i would make the trip to whitehorse, in whitehorse there tons of off road trails to checkout i recommend going into riverdale and going up grey mountain awesome views and tons of 4x4ing trails,and if you have the time go upto dawson city yukon and take top of world highway to alaska and then back around. i would take the alaska all the way back. on the way down alaska there the hot springs you can walk to be careful of bears. then i recommend stopping in toad river its pretty neat all the hats . you'll see lots of caribou buffalo bears moose deer elk. gas was between 131.9-155.9 most exspensive was dease lake.

Last edited by crazylike : 05-15-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:21 AM
wanna see my
Swollen Member

Cookie bad newbie
fort liard hot springs. just watch for bears. basically its like a big human soup bowl for grizzly bears. nice tubs bad bears.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Now I see what FIBC is about

john deere Unknown Newbie
if you do the telkwa pass over to us in terrace do not back track but head up the nass hwy to the lava bed and then hit the cranbary connector to the cassiar hwy i was up there last week end on our way to hyder witch is also a must see ..lots of good lakes and also allot of bears out
Old 05-14-2011, 10:27 PM

crazylike bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by john deere View Post
if you do the telkwa pass over to us in terrace do not back track but head up the nass hwy to the lava bed and then hit the cranbary connector to the cassiar hwy i was up there last week end on our way to hyder witch is also a must see ..lots of good lakes and also allot of bears out
good idea thats saying the telkwa pass is even passable.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:48 PM
Gettin' out havin' fun

bigrig81 Good newbie
hahahah I knew you guys would have lots of suggestions! thanks so much! I am going to write all these down when i get a chance.

as for all the suggestions for offroading and such, i willl make note of those too, but as for now, i think we're are going to make it a budget sight seeing trip instead of a wheeling trip and we will be taking the car.... mind you, the car has been places it's not designed for, so any fsr's are juuust fine

Crazylike.... what did it cost you in your truck to do the drive and exactly what loops did you recently do?

cheers
Old 05-15-2011, 12:27 AM
Gettin' out havin' fun

hillclimber Good newbie
heres a vid of telkwa pass

http://www.yotatech.com/f100/telkwa-pass-trip-229582/

i'd stop at liard river hot springs. don't know alot about places up there but if your in the northern rockies 4x4in be careful some roads/trails have a rule if you go 15 or 400 metres off the road you can get a fine n shit.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:54 PM

crazylike bad newbie
i took my hyundai accent last trip (weekish ago) cost about 400 bucks and i went to kitwanga and up to whitehorse then back to kelowna via alaska highway as i wanted to hit the fort liard hot springs, but my brother took his s10 pick up and it cost 600 bucks. you can go most places in a car. i wouldn"t recommend the telkwa pass with a car but the rest of it should be ok. cheap hotels in new hazelton and the rooms are clean. to do the whole figure 8 upto dawson city and back through alaska it would cost about 800 in little car or 1200 in a truck. just upto whitehorse and back is over 5000kms. so you gonna be in need of an oil change aswell and if you do the top loop you gonna need 2. theres a wal mart in whitehorse cheapest place for oil change just north of whitehorse 30ish kms is another hot spring and camp ground then its 8ish hours to dawson city awesome fun place. its light out there till 12 or 1am right now in a few more weeks it'll be 24/7 sunlight and folks where upto the claim and said roads in good shape. if you go that far checkout the boreal forest in moose creek campground about 2 hours before dawson city its pretty neat place. hope this helps and all quoted prices are round trip hyundai is 2010 and s10 is a 98
Old 05-15-2011, 09:43 PM

john deere Unknown Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylike View Post
good idea thats saying the telkwa pass is even passable.
tes that is true with the amount of snow we have it could be not tell late summer that it is passable. there is a creek on the telkwa side that might stop you if run off is to strong but if you can cross that you will be good
Old 05-16-2011, 01:05 AM
Gettin' out havin' fun

bigrig81 Good newbie
hey guys that's great thanks! my truck ('03 f150 with 5.4L) uses twice the gas my car ('03 Cavalier) so i think it's in our best interest to use the car. maybe buy a fuel pump and come COP's as well as a oil change stuff haha.

my truck cost about $700 last summer to drive here to fredericton (approx 5500km) to pick up my bride, but with the new gas prices and how much more winding and hilly the roads are going north instead of east, i think I'd be looking at double that.

man just reading thru some of these tips, i am pretty stoked so take it with me so i have a better idea of what is good to do or not!

thanks again!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Long where it counts
Swollen Member

longhorn bad newbie
good info......
Old 05-05-2013, 10:05 PM

drywallrocker Unknown Newbie
Be very careful around Cassiar stay away from the that area you could expose yourself to Asbestos there was an open pit Asbestos mine there and it still blows all over the place. And do not ride your Atv's in the pit or the area for that matter. You kick up the dust you breath it and get it on your clothes you could sentence yourself to a painful death in the future there should be a five mile safe zone around these area's . I'm an Activist and I want to have these mines fenced off and posted.My oldest brother died June 10th 2010 from Mesothelioma.In northern Ontario I have a contact that tells me that people are riding Atv's in the open pit mines god help those poor people contrary to what the Asbestos lobbyists are telling people you do not have to exposed more then once to get cancer from this dust.Ride safe have fun.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:48 PM

BigRon Good newbie
Wells Gray Park http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...pgs/wells_gry/

Wonderfull area also if your into rock and land formation views Volcanic and Glacier big time here.

Last edited by BigRon : 05-06-2013 at 12:52 PM.