Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > suzuki Talk

Old 04-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Rookie

swampbugg Good newbie
Idle, timing issues

Hi Everyone,

Well I was planning on heading out to the Easter Camp tomorrow night but now I have a problem ... I went to pick up my truck from my uncle's last night after sorting all my gear, and beer ... he had adjusted the timing the other day to turn down the idle but I don't think it was done correctly, and it was done without a timing light. Here's the scenario:

Previously, it was idling around 1500-1700 rpm's so he turned it down. When I went to leave his place, I was getting sputtering when Id shift into a new gear, kind of like if youre trying to start off in too high of a gear and up until I hit about 2500-3000 rmps and couldn't get my speed up past 70. I adjusted it back up a bit and it ran much better no more sputtering and was able to get up to normal speed. When I turn on the headlights, heater, etc. it has always idled high approx 3000-3500 rpms. The idle-up needs to be either disconnected or turned down from what I understand. After my uncle had changed the timing it now idles even higher just over 4000 rpms with the headlights and/or heater on leading me to start to overheat on my way home. Even with the high idling before, it has never heated up like that or had any of the other sputtering or speed issues before so I'm guessing that whatever he adjusted may have caused this.

I think (now bear with me since I'm a total newb at this!) that it should have been the high idle and the idle up that was adjusted and not the timing. I'm hoping to still make the trip tomorrow if this is an easy fix and I can manage it tonight but I also am still trying to figure out what Im doing nothing like jumping straight into the deep end!

I hope this is enough info. Does this sound like a reasonable solution based on the scenario above? Or a bigger problem? Also, is it an easy enough fix? I have no problem getting in there and getting my hands dirty Im here to learn! - but Im not 100% sure on what Im doing. Haha I dont want to make things worse. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!! Or if anyone would be willing to give a basic mechanics lesson I pay in beer !

Thanks!

Jessica
Old 04-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Prospect

blower bad newbie
jessica ,you need a timing light and a vacume gauge and set that up properly,thats why your over heating.once that is done then play with your fast idle and mixture screws to set your rpm properly.just by putting on headlights and heater theres no way you should be up so high on rpm.
you need the proper equipment and some know how,it's not that easy to explain in a few minutes.sorry this does't help you right now.

o-ya welcome to the sight. cheers.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Rookie

swampbugg Good newbie
I had a feeling that may be the case. Thanks for the input! It give me a great place to start!

J
Old 04-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Out-N-About

SuzukiSamurai Good newbie
Are you using the stock carb?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Rookie

swampbugg Good newbie
Yes, the carb is stock (that's half the problem I'm sure) I have a pony carb that I am planning on putting in, I'm just waiting for a family friend to have some time to show me how and provide a bit of guidance since it's way beyond my level of expertise.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Out-N-About

SuzukiSamurai Good newbie
How to install pony carb:
http://www2.izook.com/?page_id=310
http://www2.izook.com/?page_id=311

there are lots of how to's on this site,
also i had a similar problem with my stock carb, and just gave up on it and put a weber in... as for keeping the stock carb running for now, not sure how to help
Old 04-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Outback adventurer

talen bad newbie
when setting timeing with the stock carb or any carb, make sure that the vacume advance is unhooked and the vacume line is plugged off. then set the timeing according to the sticker on the hood. 8 or 6 degrees if my memory is right.