Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > suzuki Talk

Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Rookie

swampbugg Good newbie
Carbs

Hey everyone,

I'm planning on swapping out my carb as mine has a leak in it. I'm getting a lot of mixed suggestions and have been told that one of the best ways to go is a sidedraft carburetor but I don't really know anything about them ...
I was hoping to get some advice and other's experiences.

Edit: Opps sorry (haha I'm a newb!) I have an 87 Samurai JX - Everything on it is pretty much stock - a slight lift and slightly bigger tires but other than that the gears, engine, carb etc are all stock.

The options that I have been given and come across so far would be to put in a rebuilt stock carb (not leaning towards that one as these things are so fussy), the sidedraft carb, a holley carb (from what I gather they don't fit very well) or the weber.

Last edited by swampbugg : 04-07-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-07-2011, 12:42 PM
FUCK CANCER
Swollen Member

B bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbugg View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm planning on swapping out my carb as mine has a leak in it. I'm getting a lot of mixed suggestions and have been told that one of the best ways to go is a sidedraft carburetor but I don't really know anything about them ...
I was hoping to get some advice and other's experiences.
first you need to list your veh spec's so we aren't geussing what your rockin for a ride

Originally Posted by Happypants
do you want this thread deleted?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Rookie

swampbugg Good newbie
Oh wow that post was a total fail on my behalf! Thanks for pointing that out B!

I've edited my original to contain what is (hopefully!) enough info!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Prospect

homeboy Unknown Newbie
http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=38177

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...83&postcount=2

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...highlight=carb

the weber I found to be useless even on slight side hills it would sputter no matter how much i screwed around with the float level and changing the jets.

the harley carbs are nice if you wanna spend money getting the carb then getting mounting plates and are comfortable setting it up and tuning it.

or find a pony carb from and Hyundai Pony, the car was only made in canada and is a direct bolt on to the 1.3 http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...38&postcount=6

from the sounds of it you are not a hardcore wheeler, you should rebuild the stock carb or man up and put EFI on the motor or go propane.

1.6 8v EFI on a 1.3: http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=24215

Last edited by homeboy : 04-07-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:46 PM
nout to do with me

norm bad newbie
i put a pony carb on mine years ago ,has been pretty reliable.paid $40. bux for it at an autowrecker.likes to flood going downhill but if the clutch is out and your in gear it'll keep going works good climbing,nice and simple with a mechanical choke.stock air snorkel fits,choke cable kit is cheap or get the one out of the pony!
the stock suzuki carbs work better when they work they just don't always work
Old 04-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Rookie

swampbugg Good newbie
Thanks for the links and the info! I'll be sure to check them out and see what else I can find on there.

I'm definitely not considered a hard core wheeler now. I used to always be the passenger so never responsible for my own rig. This is my first stab at building one up and mainting it on my own so it's a bit of a learning curve, but a lot of fun!

Appreciate the input!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:31 AM
FUCK CANCER
Swollen Member

B bad newbie
x 2 on the pony carb work awesome for cheap for us on the sami we had way back when

Originally Posted by Happypants
do you want this thread deleted?
Old 04-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Rookie

swampbugg Good newbie
Great, thanks! I'm going to try and track down a pony carb.