Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > Ford discussions

Old 12-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Gettin' out havin' fun

bigrig81 Good newbie
HELP! calling all ford tech's.... need some input

So I have a 2003 f150 5.4 automatic and when I am cruising down the highway it starts to feel extremely rough when I am at low idle in what seems to be any gear but more in overdrive or 3rd gear. If i hit the gas and the rpm go up it's fine. it just seems to be at the lowest rpm before it would shift down or when it just shifts up into a gear.

my thoughts are maybe a tps, but i would assume that it would do that if i drove at that rpm at ANY time, so maybe it's not that.

EGR? I'm probably wrong, but I figured that would mostly show at idle

CTS? causing tranny to not shift right?

Please tell me it's not the torque converter haha

ANY help would be appreciated!

Old 12-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Gettin' out havin' fun

bigrig81 Good newbie
ok so I scoped the tps and it had no spikes and ranged from about 1V up to approx 5V ish..... soooo hmmmmm

any thoughts?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:48 PM
loves eating your moms

Mud Slinging Dumb Fawker Unknown Newbie
any codes
Old 12-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Out-N-About

Deathtrap Unknown Newbie
We had that at my work with our 05 5.4, same symptoms, was actually missfiring under load, replaced 3 or 4 of the coils and all the plugs, good as new.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Gettin' out havin' fun

bigrig81 Good newbie
that was the first thing I tried and the MIL even came on and went off a week ago, but there was no codes in the memory. even tried 2 different scantools haha

I noticed today that the it kind of feels like it's maybe not shifting down.... if the road is flat and it's chuggin at low rpm, it's fine, but as soon as it's under load, it starts to (what feels like) a bad bad misfire. you think it could be a torque converter lockout problem? seen anything like this come in to your shop?

any help would be appreciated AJ!

thanks loads

Old 12-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Gettin' out havin' fun

bigrig81 Good newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathtrap View Post
We had that at my work with our 05 5.4, same symptoms, was actually missfiring under load, replaced 3 or 4 of the coils and all the plugs, good as new.

hmmmmmm i think that could be it too.. was thinking it felt electrical more than anything.... and i have had a leaking shraeder valve on the fuel rail i just found today... looks like it has been dripping off the rail onto a couple of the coils.

hmmmmmmm

Old 12-14-2010, 09:49 PM
rollin a chev on 40's now bitches

toyon35s Good newbie
sounds like it needs a tune up ,but it would run funny if the injectors are not getting proper pressure ,so fix you leak and see how it runs
Old 12-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Out-N-About

tchevy Unknown Newbie
fiz the leak. you need plugs and boots, maybe a couple coils.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:01 PM
loves eating your moms

Mud Slinging Dumb Fawker Unknown Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrig81 View Post
hmmmmmm i think that could be it too.. was thinking it felt electrical more than anything.... and i have had a leaking shraeder valve on the fuel rail i just found today... looks like it has been dripping off the rail onto a couple of the coils.

hmmmmmmm

fix that first and make sure there is no fuel down any of the plug holes aand check the plug boots for cracks
Old 12-14-2010, 10:02 PM
it's 5' of
Swollen Member

D-Ass Good newbie
Put a chevy motor in it then sell the whole thong and buy a dodge

Beat your children or i will beat you!
Old 12-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Gettin' out havin' fun

bigrig81 Good newbie
fixed the leak yesterday... it was minimal... will take a look at the plugs and coils and such when i get a chance tomorrow hopefully.

thx!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Gettin' out havin' fun

bigrig81 Good newbie
k so it seems to be all fixed.

tried getting technical and using the Snap-on modis that i have access to but couldn't find the misfire information. if anyone has one of those i have some questions for ya haha

ended up just doing it the old fashioned way ....(fuel leak had nothing to do with the misfire btw) ..... bought plugs and 4 coils. chnaged the plugs and coils on ones side... no fixxy .... took the 4 coils that I then knew were good and put them on the other bank with new plugs and it's all good

now to change the removed coils in one at a time to find out which one was the issue.

thanks for the help guys and to deathtrap for getting me on the right track!

Old 12-17-2010, 06:35 AM
The Unstucker
Swollen Member

pumpkin bad newbie
What do you need to know about the modis?
Old 12-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Gettin' out havin' fun

bigrig81 Good newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
What do you need to know about the modis?
I am just wondering how to find the misfire information. I found my way into the Global OBDII section then the Non-Continuous Monitors, but once I am in there the TID's available are only displaying the O2 sensors and such, but no misfire information. So I manually entered the TID, but once i was in TID$53 all i could see was it was showing a couple of cylinders and not all 8 CID's.

now that I think of it... would pretty much need someone to walk me through it with my machine. but if you have any thoughts, maybe i missed something

Old 12-17-2010, 01:06 PM
The Unstucker
Swollen Member

pumpkin bad newbie
Going through the tids is a pain in the ass. The two latest updates for the modis can do the missfire through identified vehicle rather than global. What version do you have? The 10.4 has a lot of ford stuff in it.