Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > Ford discussions

Old 12-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
96 Ford brake pad re&re pointers

Buddy is bringing his 96 Ford 3/4 ton or 1 ton 4x4 over on Friday to change the front pads. It has a straight axle. Appears one front calliper got its pistons so far extended it started leaking. He said now he needs to pump brakes for even rear brakes to work. I know the rotors will need to be turned. Do the rotors come off like my 03 Silverado or do you need to pull the hub off too? Any special precautions I should know about before I try to bleed his brakes? I'm not charging him for labour since $$ is really tight, plus hes a new buddy of mine I met that needs to be educated on the necesasary things about taking care of a lifted 4x4... He is this insane but smart guy thaty moved up to McCleese lake from the coast. He bought 40 acres and is currently building a cord cabin I sold him a bunch of wood to build it and then lent him my concrete mixer and a bunch of chimney parts when I saw what he was up against... He is insane for building a cabin in the winter but truly he know what he doing.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:18 AM
ewwww mustard is gross
Swollen Member

mus-Tard Unknown Newbie
with the D60 there are 2 bolts that hold on the caliper. 1/2 or 9/16th l think. then pry the caliper off.
the 2 that hold on the mounting bracket. 7/8th l think.

as for the rotor, you need to take the locking hub off, and then the wheel bearings. lock nut is the same for the 60 as is the 50. the 44HD is smaller.

then you can pry the rotor and hub off together. there is a seal that may make it difficult.

then separate the rotor from the hub some how.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:39 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
As for the wheelbearing nuts, use the same socket used for say a gm 14 bolt rear end??
Old 12-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Cact
Swollen Member

4skin Good newbie
nope front nuts are round with notches
and dhech with whoevers turning rotors should not have to take rotors of hub like rebel said just sayin
Old 12-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Rock hard and ready to roll
Swollen Member

In The Zone bad newbie
rotors will come off with out hub removal...... It is a d60
Old 12-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
Thanks! I have two wheelbearing sockets, one fits my 14 ff rear axle and a 2nd socket for D44 and Corp 10 bolt. If I was re-packing the bearings on this Ford Front D60 do I need to buy a 3rd socket?? Will the ff socket work on a 1981 chev front dana 60?

Thanks for all the tips... and if anyone here lives locally within a hour or two, do you have spare rotors or callipers?? Cheaper to buy new I hear for rotors vs 25 bucks for turning each plus fuel to drive into town... 250-397-2652
Old 12-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Out-N-About

radman Unknown Newbie
i have the socket u require if u dont have the rite one, i took the rotor off and took it in and was told to leave the hub on next time. and if the pistons have gone out that far the rotors are probally past there service life. ill bring the socket into town so its here if u need it.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:32 PM
ewwww mustard is gross
Swollen Member

mus-Tard Unknown Newbie
KD tools 3246
Old 12-03-2010, 07:04 PM
giver hard

Troy bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Zone View Post
rotors will come off with out hub removal...... It is a d60
???

unless its a superduty dana 60 then you would have to take the spindle nuts off, then take the hub off the spindle , then pound the studs out to seperate rotor from wheel hub
Old 12-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
Nightmare job its been!! Ice caked everywhere and taking too darn long! Had to remove nuts and seperate hub. Glad I had a press for the studs and a air hammer to seperate rotor and hub. We got new rotors and hubs on last night and then the pistons would not move back in with a c-clamp. Tried to release bleeder screw but it was rusted in. Going to try some heat on it today after 12 noon. Release brake line fitting on calliper but pistons would still not move back, even one at a time!! I thought of welding a nut on my c-clamp and use the air gun. Callipers are $45+ each but my freind has zero $$. I might end up buying a pair for him and he can pay me back. He also needs a new front drive shaft. U-joint 2nd from t-case in cv is shot. Slip yoke is either shot but looks like 1" of splines on stub don't even go into slip yoke. Its 21.25" weld to weld. Anyone have a used ds for sale or trade or to donate?? I was thinking 23" weld to weld. Yoke on t-case, not a flange.

Truck is a F250 HD (HD pretty sure) XLT 7.3 diesel standard. Brake shoes he brought were wrong app. We took them back to Napa and ended up getting pads for a 94 front axle!!

Bought 2 wheel bearing lock nuts. One was kinda stupid cuz nut slipped past the 4 nubs in the socket and then socket just spun. @nd socket is like the one radman pictures above.

I'll check my email before noon today for any pointers. I took lots of pics and they are still loading so got to leave by 9 am so pics may not be loaded. Any suggestions you can phone me or text me at 250-706-0655.

Last edited by godtool : 12-04-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Nothing Runs Like a Deere

85chevy Good newbie
Sounds like someone has been in there before or something got changed if the parts store has to change years to get the right pads seems weird
Old 12-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
The truck has 8" springs in it! Its a nice project someone built years back...

Last edited by godtool : 12-04-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
More pics:

More to come to help ID this thing. Did I say the front end diff to hubs is from a 94 F350??
Old 12-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
Job all done, buddy left last night. Stops on a dime now but at least he had a month of learning how to slow down with gearing being a 5 speed with 4:10's. He would like to trade it for a small jeep or other smaller 4x4 and a couple horses.

Radman the nut picture here I bought and was too small in dia yet the part # and brand was different and did not have the dips in it... It was a lot bigger than the f150 socket I have.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:57 PM
ewwww mustard is gross
Swollen Member

mus-Tard Unknown Newbie
are you sure it wasn't pn 2467 you got? thats the pn for my dana 44 socket.
for my 60, part number 3246.
they are exactly the same 'cept for diameter.

l ended uo buyin both ages ago too