Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > Chevy ramblings

Old 09-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

bcwheeler Unknown Newbie
dana 60 hub probs

so got a question about some dana 60 shit ,, have a mid 80's dana 60 ,took the dually hub and rotor off and replaced with a srw ,, problem is the warn hubs I got dont fit the same there is no groove cut into the hub where the selectable hub goes in to catch that spring the guy from north shore says " Oh its jus tdouble redundancy you dont need that in there that he runs without it ", so I set it up but the hub isnt tight in there now it can slide in and out about maybe an d1/8th inch so its loose in there ,

any ideas , I guess have the groove machined in or get full time hubs ,
its one of the last t things holding this truck back from being on the road that hub , need tie rod tapped for tre's bolt up exhaust , tighten a cable or two and shes finally on the road . oh and lets nto forget the drive shafts need to be lengthened
Old 09-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

bcwheeler Unknown Newbie
no input ? come on am I the only person on the planet to get these f'in hubs?
Old 09-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Now I see what FIBC is about

automan bad newbie
no groove where?
in the hub spline area or on the axle shaft
Old 09-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

bcwheeler Unknown Newbie
on the inside of the outter hub I guess if that makes sense , if you were to disassemble a hub the cver piece comes off with the 6 allan heads then behind that is the c clip that holds the other piece in , then behind that piece there is usually a flat steel spring that kinda clicks inso there are actually two retainers one in fron tand one in back well where the one closest to the inside of truck is supossed to go there is no groove to hold it in its just smooth serface , Im thinking maybe the srw hub and rotor ass. that I have put on is from a truck that did not have selectable hubs ? I dunno I guess i fneed be ill take it back apart and take pics if I can ...
Old 09-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

bcwheeler Unknown Newbie
I think its actually called the inner bearing hub that doesnt have the groove for the spring/clip thing that looks like someone torn apart a slinky
notsure what its called just tryin to describe it best I can

Last edited by bcwheeler : 09-04-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Having FUN IN B.C.

bcwheeler Unknown Newbie
sooo anyone know WTF im talking about or what !?!?!?!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:26 AM

automan bad newbie
can you post a pic
sounds like you took your hubs apart
Old 09-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Having FUN IN B.C.

bcwheeler Unknown Newbie
well of course I took it apart we jsut builkt the thing ... but like I said the hubs meaningthe warn bit is off of a dually selectable hub dana 60 the new hub and rotor assembly is off a srw ,, and they do not have the little groove machined in to them to hold the spring I tried to explain the best I can ,if you ahve taken one apart you should know whatim talking about just go through the installation of a sectable hub in ur head rotor and brake assembly go on to axle housing so now axle shft is sticking through the opening in the hub... so now you installed drive flange I believe (order might be a little off )then there is another part of the "selectable bit and pieces that goes in and has to be retained by that spring well that spring locks into this non exsistant groove then another part goes on and a locking nut then another retainer clip then you put the selectable hub cover on with the 6 allan heads and ur done ..but buddy at
northshore says: OOOH no you dont need that extra spring its double redundancy.;

Me no think so after seeing ow much play is in the axleshaft now ..you can pull onthe cover (dial part of hub) and the whole thing moves in and out liek an 1/8th"

????
hope that explains more I really dont want to take this thing aprart again

'
Old 09-05-2010, 12:32 PM

automan bad newbie
i'm guessing the new srw hub was full time 4x4
in some cases the cover was like a dust cover (no lock ring)
i'll be the groove is full of crud ,if you scrape it clean there should be a groove
also guessing your whole hub assembly is held on by the axle shaft
Old 09-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

bcwheeler Unknown Newbie
It's been cleaned there's no groove and I think it is held in by the shaft cause the whole thing moves in and out. Sooo how do I remedy this I guess either get full time hubs. I'm assuming they don't need the other ring or what ?? Or have the groove machined in ? Any ideas.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:22 PM

automan bad newbie
thats strange there should be a groove
should post a pic
might help in figuring out whats wrong
Old 09-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

bcwheeler Unknown Newbie
Lol I appreciate it but like I said trying to avoid taking apart it's not under cover and doesn't fit in my garage It doesn't have groove. So if it was a full time it wouldn't ?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:31 PM
kill cancer
Swollen Member

bakelite bad newbie
Should be something about what you need to know here...
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ont/index.html

Hope it helps, it's a lot of info
Old 09-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

bcwheeler Unknown Newbie
wish it did but I have read that thign front to back , and nothing exept one section where he talks abotu wether or not you need to run snap rings , and it explains that it does cause walking and a loose seal allowing water and mud to get behind the dust cap/cover plate.. i just need to find otu if I have to go with a full time hub or get it machined ,

Unless someone wants to trade a set of srw with the groove for mine if any one is running a full time hub
Old 09-06-2010, 01:08 AM
kill cancer
Swollen Member

bakelite bad newbie
Yeah, lots of reading there. I ended up swapping front hubs with a guy off Pirate to get SRW front Dana 60. Maybe try posting up in there what you need?