Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If itís outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Nothing Runs Like a Deere

85chevy Good newbie
I think the cars where loaded on to the ferry and then moved back to the mainland it was a dual purpose ferry. I mean there is a road going from the eastern part of the mill up and out of the valley but you never kno I mean really u only need to get to port mellon to get to the road but it doesn't look like they connected up because of the way the valleys are going northward.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Prospect

broncorandy bad newbie
My ex was from powell river and went there lots to visit her dad. And got to go wheeling with lots of guys from there and theres lots of stories about that trip. But from what i hread from them and her dad there is a road from squamish to powell river and only a couple of groups have tried it. Its very over grown and you need a done up wheeler to make it. The story i got was that they were trying to make a road so a ferry wasnt needed but think the goverment put a stop to that. I would love to make the trip even if it took a few years to open it up . If you like i could try to get more info from them. You would think with all the logging from both sides there must be roads almost close to making it. Need to talk to any logging companys in the area see if they let you see there maps , but they are very anal about that.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Now I see what FIBC is about

InteriorZR2 bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85chevy View Post
I think the cars where loaded on to the ferry and then moved back to the mainland it was a dual purpose ferry. I mean there is a road going from the eastern part of the mill up and out of the valley but you never kno I mean really u only need to get to port mellon to get to the road but it doesn't look like they connected up because of the way the valleys are going northward.
I know for sure that the cars were not ferried across, as the ferry was not equipped with rails, and transported very few trucks. It was mainly used as a shuttle for the employees at the mill. Although, now that I think about it, the box cars may have been barged to the mill. Next time I talk to my dad I will ask him how the box cars got there.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Nothing Runs Like a Deere

85chevy Good newbie
Yea sorry they barged them in and out the ramp for them is south of the mill looks like there is a matching one in north vancouver think that might have been where they took them to off load and reload new ones

Last edited by 85chevy : 02-05-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:42 AM

b00g Unknown Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncorandy View Post
My ex was from powell river and went there lots to visit her dad. And got to go wheeling with lots of guys from there and theres lots of stories about that trip. But from what i hread from them and her dad there is a road from squamish to powell river and only a couple of groups have tried it. Its very over grown and you need a done up wheeler to make it. The story i got was that they were trying to make a road so a ferry wasnt needed but think the goverment put a stop to that. I would love to make the trip even if it took a few years to open it up . If you like i could try to get more info from them. You would think with all the logging from both sides there must be roads almost close to making it. Need to talk to any logging companys in the area see if they let you see there maps , but they are very anal about that.
here's some more info on a route to powell river. we haven't tried the trip yet, but there is a map and some other stuff posted here http://weekendwheeling.com/index.php?topic=330.15
Old 03-26-2010, 03:01 PM

Baulde Good newbie
Using a dual sport dirt bike, I would be interested in poking around in this area this year and start GPS logging areas that are accessible. I would feel more comfortable doing it with someone.

Track on a gps anywhere you can access, from both sides if needed. Lay it out on a topo map software and you might see some areas that get close and would be able to connect.

Can write notes on trail impassibility with 4x4 and dirt bike.

This would be interesting to do, among other trails I want to try out that are defiantly passable but I have not done. Like Bear Creek Main to Kamloops.. etc.. Just an excuse for me to get out and poke around in the BC outback.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:23 PM

Fuct Good newbie
i was told the powerlines were hung with a helicopter because the terrain was too steep for equipment
Old 04-03-2010, 01:30 AM
Cact
Swollen Member

4skin Good newbie
shure b fun trying did duffy lake rd years
before it was paved in spring time forestry said impasible fun 2weeks
sadents broken stuff was last trip for 74 chevy shorty 3/4 ton
40 inch ground hogs
not a straight inch of body runing off jerry cans
tanks fuckt good run
Old 04-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

stockwheels Unknown Newbie
i like you new name bruce
Old 04-04-2010, 01:40 AM
GIVIN'R SHIT

TWOZEROFOUR Unknown Newbie
This would be interesting to do, among other trails I want to try out that are defiantly passable but I have not done. Like Bear Creek Main to Kamloops.. etc.. Just an excuse for me to get out and poke around in the BC outback.[/quote]

been done by my self and im sure a few members on here
Old 04-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Rookie

bond Good newbie
I wonder if if there might be a possability for orthophotos for the area in question?
for those that dont know what that is here is a link

http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/crgb/p...orthophoto.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthophoto

go to your local city hall and ask, this would be a nice way to start off this little trek.

I will ask the GIS tech here where I live if there might be any available if someone can provide me a place to start.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:48 PM

Fuct Good newbie
i think the better trail would be from the Mamquam FSR east to Pitt lake
Old 04-08-2010, 04:04 AM
BlahBlahBlahFriknBlah
Swollen Member

OldEnuff bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuct View Post
i think the better trail would be from the Mamquam FSR east to Pitt lake
I agree
Old 04-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Now I see what FIBC is about

ryanmacneil8448 Unknown Newbie
i agree lets find away to the north end of pitt lake so we can enjoy amazing hotsprings and amaze the locals that we didnt take a boat haha. in fact time for a new thread
Old 09-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Prospect

old codger Good newbie
Backroad Wood fibre to??

About 3 years ago I tried it in our Tracker! all I got was sore arms/acheing back, the trail I was useing to get to Woodfibre was completly overgrown, and had to back up about 2kms for a place to turn around, I think the road is a myth!. As Major logging has been stopped for quite a few years on the
Sunshine Coast, all the Loggers moved North to the Prince George Area,
finding an old logger with old maps of the area might be a TALL ORDER.
I was useing the BACKROAD MAPBOOK Vol 1 Southwestern BC 1998 edition.
If you are still thinking of giveing it a try! Count me OUT! old codger.