Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If itís outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

xtremeyj Good newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by exploderck View Post
I've looked at this before, from the standpoint of quadding. It looks really do-able, if you can find some way to get to Woodfibre. Otherwise, it looks like there are some serious inclines to deal with.

Anyone know if that hydro right of way visible on google earth between Squamish and Woodfibre is passable?
its not at all, unless your into some serious rock climbing
Old 02-03-2010, 05:06 PM
runnin into walls with a
Swollen Member

Punk in Drublic bad newbie
wondered this myself, i worked in wood fibre as a pre app boilermaker, last job before she shut down completeley and heard a couple old mill guys talkin bout it. they were sayin it was doabele on horseback. horses are capable of pretty extreme terrain, but i dont think they can do anything a locked, linked n winched wheeler can do. width of trail pending.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:46 PM
never go full
Swollen Member

Evan the Blue bad newbie
I have asked a friend who lives in Squamish to do some sniffing around for more info and for possible barge contacts.
I have to agree with Mudslinger, a scout trip from both sides might not be a bad idea. I'm already pulling my bike out of the garage seeing we aren't getting a winter this year.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:13 PM
i gots me a
Swollen Member

Ironman bad newbie
seems like every year on most local sites, a post comes up about this trail or road. nobody ever does it or finds it. be interesting if a few people actually spent the time to try and find it.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:56 PM
I don't have a
Swollen Member

apefrill Good newbie
It's amazing how a simple inquiry has exploded into this! [9] I'm glad that I'm not the only one who would love to do this run!!!

Unfortunatly this sounds like more of an urban legend than truth. The person I heard it from gave me some more info today. She called her ex, who grew up in Powell River, and who's father is the one who originally told her of this fabled road. He says that it's been going around the town as long as he can remember that a couple guys in their 4x4s took 3 weeks to create this road. The problem with that being that Powell River borders on the coastal mountain range, which makes it almost impossible, especially in that short a time period. So we may be SOL on this one folks....would still be fun to try it though!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

crazydude Unknown Newbie
If you your looking for the old road from sechelt to the old mill its there but it is like real old follows the power lines in and out from the kwum kwum indian reserve. Did this 10 years ago on quads and bikes dont know if you can get to the mill from squamish but you can from the other side.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

xtremeyj Good newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydude View Post
If you your looking for the old road from sechelt to the old mill its there but it is like real old follows the power lines in and out from the kwum kwum indian reserve. Did this 10 years ago on quads and bikes dont know if you can get to the mill from squamish but you can from the other side.
That was never the debate, the old forest service roads go all over from that mill. I think the only way through is the other one evan spoke of, I think it can be done that way, it just may take some time going over topographical maps. Is there anywhere we can get historical topographical maps? that would point out the old fsr's. None of the newer ones would cover deactivated roads.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:06 AM
The C stands for crazy
Swollen Member

C-Dog bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by apefrill View Post
It's amazing how a simple inquiry has exploded into this! [9] I'm glad that I'm not the only one who would love to do this run!!!

Unfortunatly this sounds like more of an urban legend than truth. The person I heard it from gave me some more info today. She called her ex, who grew up in Powell River, and who's father is the one who originally told her of this fabled road. He says that it's been going around the town as long as he can remember that a couple guys in their 4x4s took 3 weeks to create this road. The problem with that being that Powell River borders on the coastal mountain range, which makes it almost impossible, especially in that short a time period. So we may be SOL on this one folks....would still be fun to try it though!

Powell River to where ever is a whole other Ball game u said Mainland to the Sunshine coast two totally different parts of the Sunshine coast......You have sparkes som interest here and im sure there will be some progress i did plan on doing allot of exploring over on the Sunshine coast this year some smaller camping trip into the bush since i havent done any fsr cruisn over there....This seems like something to do

FUCK CANCER !!!!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 01:07 AM
BlahBlahBlahFriknBlah
Swollen Member

OldEnuff bad newbie
I have scoured google earth and searched the web for the last five years about this but although there have been some tantalizing "almost got it" moments there has never been a breakthrough to the "got it" moment

but

as Ironman said, I did not go out and look myself just searched the web.
And, I must say, If someone had made it through, no matter how quiet they might have wanted to keep it it would be on the web in this day of facebook and cellphones.

just my $.02

Old 02-04-2010, 08:05 AM
I don't have a
Swollen Member

apefrill Good newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSLINGER View Post
Powell River to where ever is a whole other Ball game u said Mainland to the Sunshine coast two totally different parts of the Sunshine coast......You have sparkes som interest here and im sure there will be some progress i did plan on doing allot of exploring over on the Sunshine coast this year some smaller camping trip into the bush since i havent done any fsr cruisn over there....This seems like something to do
You're right, my bad I don't know that area at all, didn't realise that Powell River was so far to the west side of the penninsula until I looked. My point though was that the story that I was told was that this road started in Powell River and went to the mainland. This part appears to be a load of crap. It totally seems possible that there would be some way of doing this from one of the closer towns. My truck won't be ready for an exploring mission of that kind by the summer, but I'd like to get some of the guys from up here down there to join the recon trips....and tag along of course
Old 02-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Out-N-About

Redneck_04 Unknown Newbie
if u look in a backroad mapbook there is a road that leaves from squamish area and a road that leaves from the gibson area however they miss each other by about 1/4 of an inch on the map but i think thats a good start! My mothers whole side of the family lives up there and ive been researching for a long time. As for trying it never have but id bee in for an exploratory. and if its hell to get though..... the ferry is free on the way back!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:08 PM
BANNED
Swollen Member

Murd0c bad newbie
Well I would be down to go check it out. Seems like a great adventure that's for sure . That's if anyone has a spare seat!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:42 PM
The C stands for crazy
Swollen Member

C-Dog bad newbie
Well like i said my Brother in Law did a school project on it a couple years ago just confirmed that with his wife so he is gunna dig up what he has and pass it on to me so hopefully if is like any of his other work im sure it will have some good detail

FUCK CANCER !!!!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 06:10 PM
One shot!
Swollen Member

F150HULK bad newbie
I have family over there Ill do some asking. also like Ryan up fior and adventure over ther sometime.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Now I see what FIBC is about

InteriorZR2 bad newbie
The Mill

My dad worked at the Mill for many years. He used to load the ships as well as box carts. Maybe check with CN, there may be an unused line that would get you to or from the mill if you end up there. Would suck to make it to the mill, and not have a way across.