Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > Quads , Sleds, bikes and Boats

Quads , Sleds, bikes and Boats Got a question or want to show off a new mod on your Quad, Snowmobile, bike or Boat? This is the place to go

Old 01-25-2010, 11:23 PM
Out-N-About

ktowner351 Unknown Newbie
05 yamaha rx 1

does anyone know anything of this sled... i know squat about sleds and im looking at buying one for 5 grand... 3000km and good condition..
Old 01-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Gettin' out havin' fun

buck Good newbie
personally not a big fan of the four strokes unles they are turboed but then you get into the big bucks, for 5 grand you can pick up a nice 800 2 stroke and youll love it 100 times more
Old 01-26-2010, 12:40 AM
Gettin' out havin' fun

bigrig81 Good newbie
ya it depends on your budget. if you have some extra dough and could turbo it, that would be an amazing sled, but that said, if you're just learning... a tamer version would be better. they are heavier then the two strokes, but your reliability will be way higher. 3000km on those sleds is nothing, you have a long way to go typically before rebuild. fuel wise... pretty sure you would use less too. if you're strapping yourself pretty tight on budget tho, like buck said you can get a cheaper 800 that is gonna be a bit faster and a bit lighter ... but unless it's a cat 800... count on a rebuild before too long. imo

Old 01-26-2010, 12:48 AM
Gettin' out havin' fun

buck Good newbie
i rode a new four stroke non turbo and from my experience they suck in the mountains every time you let off the throttle they tend to nose dive so i guess it really depends on the kind of riding you are lookin to do, the two strokes are still a very reliable engine my buddy has 7000kms on his cat and still runs like a champ but 4 strokes will get more life, if you wnat the quick power and a light sled buy a 2 stroke like this one, its a good deal

http://classifieds.castanet.net/show.../620639/cat/85
Old 01-26-2010, 01:17 AM
Gettin' out havin' fun

bigrig81 Good newbie
ya for sure, the cats are tanks.... and that's a decent deal for sure.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:17 AM
Gettin' out havin' fun

bigrig81 Good newbie
haha and by tank I mean very durable and long lasting.,.. not heavy haha
Old 01-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Having FUN IN B.C.

trencher bad newbie
The RX1 is a heavy beasty....but it will run without ENGINE issues for years. I have heard of those engines going 30000kms without any problems even when they have a turbo. Depends on what you want i guess. The two strokes are lighter and will out climb ANY stock RX1. The down fall is reliability. My bro is right with the Cat being the longest lived two stroker out there. The skidoos and polaris can last but they are hit and miss.......we have had both blow up and others work without issue. Either way you go look at the chaincase and the clutches every year and keep the skid bearings replaced as needed. That goes for all sleds. Good luck man. I sold my 800 rmk just a week ago....it was a great machine for me. But the next sled will be a 4 stroke.....but likely the nitro cuz they're light and then i'm set for a turbo when i can
Old 01-26-2010, 09:48 PM
I got kicked and now have a
Swollen Member

kootenaycat bad newbie
Gotta agree with all the guys, the Yamaha engine is bullet proof but the sled feels heavy - especially in the trees. Depends on what you want to do with it - boondocking, hillclimbing, deep powder? If so then get a 2 stroke for sure. If you're just into trails and the occasional poke at the hill, the RX1 will do the job and last a long time.

And I agree about the Cat having the strongest motors, haven't heard of one yet that grenaded a bottom end. And easy and cheap to do a top end every 4-5000km.

For under $5000 you can find a good deal on a 800 Cat from 2002- 2005. Even saw a 2005 M7 for $4600 but not sure how many km on it. If I had the cash I would buy it. Skidoo 800's from '01-'03 were pretty good, some crank problems and get rid of the stock pistons and rings. Polaris 800s were notorious for cranks unless the bearing update was done and even then I've heard of some go bad but that could be abuse (no oil) or bad assembly.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:28 PM
GIVIN'R SHIT

TWOZEROFOUR Unknown Newbie
get a rev 800, it will be money well spent
Old 01-29-2010, 11:42 PM
I got kicked and now have a
Swollen Member

kootenaycat bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOZEROFOUR View Post
get a rev 800, it will be money well spent
You mean you will be spending money like you've never before!

Never heard of a worse crank design, who makes a 2 stroke with greasable MAIN bearings? WTF? Just had the bottom end repacked in my '01 800 - new seals, impeller. $430! And I brought him just the cases with crank, disassembled the top end myself before bringing it in. Tube of grease is $63 and it's just enough to do one crank, I almost shit myself in the dealer!

I haven't heard of too many Revs that haven't had warranty engine work done and then after warranty is gone I've heard of many blowing up. Apparently '07 was the worse year, dealer said if they haven't blown up by now it's just a time bomb waiting to go off.

I'll be going back to Cat, they've had problems with the diamond drive but don't hear of any that spit the crank out the cases. The Rev works awesome but if Rotax can't build a solid engine by now they're not doing something right.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:03 AM
Having FUN IN B.C.

trencher bad newbie
Ya that greasable bearing is kind of a joke IMO....I was even giving a BRP engineer a hard time about it once at a show . That grease has either come down in price or i got fucked on it when I bought it rebuilding my engine years ago....was $86 back then . That was the only bearing that was fucked other than the rod bearing that failed .
Old 01-30-2010, 02:13 PM
GIVIN'R SHIT

TWOZEROFOUR Unknown Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaycat View Post
You mean you will be spending money like you've never before!

Never heard of a worse crank design, who makes a 2 stroke with greasable MAIN bearings? WTF? Just had the bottom end repacked in my '01 800 - new seals, impeller. $430! And I brought him just the cases with crank, disassembled the top end myself before bringing it in. Tube of grease is $63 and it's just enough to do one crank, I almost shit myself in the dealer!

I haven't heard of too many Revs that haven't had warranty engine work done and then after warranty is gone I've heard of many blowing up. Apparently '07 was the worse year, dealer said if they haven't blown up by now it's just a time bomb waiting to go off.

I'll be going back to Cat, they've had problems with the diamond drive but don't hear of any that spit the crank out the cases. The Rev works awesome but if Rotax can't build a solid engine by now they're not doing something right.
Hook Line Sinker

Your right Ski Doo's are Crap!
Old 01-30-2010, 08:39 PM
White in brown out
Swollen Member

StinkFinger bad newbie
i have a nice polaris 800 rmk for sale if you want a 2 stroke
Old 01-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Prospect

stevem bad newbie
get a mountain max, very reliable has desent power,put a longer track on it and you will climb,my buddy has a max that just turned 10000km on the stock engine.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Out-N-About

Lucas bad newbie
mountain max is old technology

and stay away from the rx1. ive seen 2 blow up with less then 6000km and had regular maintenance....overheating is usually the problem.

2000-2001 skidoo summits were good sleds 02-03 were good but only have 1 ring pistons so they need rebuilds every 2500km.Arctic cat makes the most durable engine.
06-07 doos had bad motors -08 and newer work good
m7 is what i ride.............best sled ive ever owned