Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > Chevy ramblings

Old 01-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
Alison tranny noise...

My Alison tranny in my 03 Silverado when it automatically up-shifts especially under load such as going uphill my tranny shift will be twice as long from 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th can't be certain which shift it is but I think its 3rd to 4th. Along with the long shift it makes a noise, like a grating noise. Not loud but you can hear it... any ideas? Thought it may be a broken engine or tranny mount.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Make your own-iEdit Title in 'User CP'
Swollen Member

ROBO bad newbie
first things first... scanit.. oil check... see wats in the pan ... then open your wallet ...them things aint cheap!!
Old 01-03-2010, 11:25 AM
FUCK CANCER
Swollen Member

B bad newbie
id say it needs a band adjustment sooner than later or ones allready on it's way out either way id get on it quick or you will be stranded and then you dont got a choice but to spend to fix

Originally Posted by Happypants
do you want this thread deleted?
Old 01-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Rollin like a redneck
Swollen Member

Happypants Good newbie
Sounds like the bands are loose, I've wasted a few grand on the Allison in my diesel and ya catch it before you end up on the side of the road with no gears left
Old 01-10-2010, 08:19 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
Service Manager took it for a rd test on Wed. and said shifting is fine. We came up through the canyon on Sat. and I still heard the noise once or twice. Seems there may be slack in the system. I remember similar slack because of past loose rear u bolts and then worn out shocks. Maybe its a rear u-joint now? crown tooth maybe broken? Sometimes feel slack being taken up when leaving a stoplight or stop sign....
Old 01-10-2010, 10:52 AM
ewwww mustard is gross
Swollen Member

mus-Tard Unknown Newbie
was ridding up to castlegar a couple years ago and the tranny grenaded in the chev just as we were getting on to the hope princeton outside of hope. ended up driving it all the way back to maple ridge in second gear. 5000 rpm and about 80kmh on the number 1.

yeah get it before it gets you
Old 01-10-2010, 08:46 PM
i have a fullsize
Swollen Member

regulate34 Good newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
was ridding up to castlegar a couple years ago and the tranny grenaded in the chev just as we were getting on to the hope princeton outside of hope. ended up driving it all the way back to maple ridge in second gear. 5000 rpm and about 80kmh on the number 1.

yeah get it before it gets you
kuz its a chev
Old 01-11-2010, 05:23 PM
ewwww mustard is gross
Swollen Member

mus-Tard Unknown Newbie
yeah your probly right and that truck was rat bagged far more than it deserved. fucking pulling out that 4L60E under 2 inches of dried mud.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
odd shift at exactly 80 km\h!

After I posted this a ways back I now remember the Service manager told me my Allison shifts way better than some and it has "no bands". Since then I notice that odd "sounding\feeling" shift occurs at exactly 80 km\h under load when it automatically shifting up. It has not changed or gotten worse. Sometimes it shifts normal.

Also before this odd shifting in the fall occured I had a problem in the summer where my internal rad tranny cooler was leaking tranny fluid into the rad system. It leaked about 4 liters since that is how much tranny fluid it took to top up my tranny when I noticed it slipping. I fixed that problem and then a month or so later the shifting "sound\feeling" occured. Neighbor said I should change the spin-on-filter on the tranny since it could be clogged with debris from when the slipping initially occured. No coolant never did leak into the tranny fluid. The slipping occured on a slight hill (0.5 km) from my driveway, then it goes downhill after that and once I got to the store I topped it up with the 4 liters.

Sometiumes my tranny feels sluggish off the line but I think thats mainly after start up in the cold morning. Fluid has stayed full since I fixed the tranny cooler. I figured maybe somebody here has some insight into this befoe I drive anoth tranny mechanic crazy with my questions...

Last edited by godtool : 03-20-2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: adding