Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If itís outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Not a Newbie

poostang bad newbie
winters are not as bad as people make it to be up north different cold ............... -30 is no wind and dry not damp ill never live in lowermainland lived there all my life hate rain...........ive lived in pg for 3 years now and its nice
Old 12-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Now I see what FIBC is about

ShuswapRedneck bad newbie
I vote Salmon Arm. Small enough with most of the necessities, 5 hours from Van, 5 hours from Calgary, 45 minutes to Vernon, 1.5 hours to Kamloops, Revelstoke (skiing) or Kelowna. Shuswap Lake right there for lots of fishing, swimming and boating, tonnes of 4x4 trails, quad trails and groomed snowmobile trails. It's the ideal 4 season destination for people who love the outdoors. House prices are reasonable (if not I couldn't have bought a house here, 2 blocks off the lake).
Old 12-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Rashed and itchy

T.O. bad newbie
Salmon arm/Sicamous is my second choice.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:29 AM
working the rails and lovin' it

nykoma bad newbie
Nakusp

Right here in Nakusp, where can you hop on your sled, atv, Utv or your truck and drive less five minutes be on the dirt roads. Or the water side of things anywhere in town less then three minutes be i the water. Or drive north and south drive about twenty minutes to next set of loading ramps or the lake.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Boy I'm glad I don't have a
Swollen Member

curlee has much to be proud ofcurlee has much to be proud ofcurlee has much to be proud ofcurlee has much to be proud ofcurlee has much to be proud ofcurlee has much to be proud ofcurlee has much to be proud ofcurlee has much to be proud of
all these places are awesome, but what do you guys do to make money up there??
Old 12-26-2009, 11:37 AM
My carbon print is the size of a crater
Swollen Member

dirka dave bad newbie
Mission, with a big ass shop..
Old 12-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Fisting for dollars

Trooper bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlee View Post
Making money up there is easy enough. Only problem with small towns is every one is always in your bussiness.

Taint nothin'
Old 12-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Now I see what FIBC is about

ShuswapRedneck bad newbie
I have my own business because the economy sucks
Old 12-26-2009, 08:45 PM
it's 5' of
Swollen Member

D-Ass Good newbie
sunshine coast

because it isn't the lower main land or van island any other questions ??

Beat your children or i will beat you!
Old 12-26-2009, 09:34 PM
flavored
Swollen Member

Candy Good newbie
id have to say Summerland, spent most of my summers and winters there growing up... its relaxing and quiet up there and they usually have awesome weather as well
Old 12-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Mountain Man

Taxidermy bad newbie
I love Beaverdell - Carmi area. Lots of trails - KVR - West Kettle river - fishing - atv - snowmobile - beautiful valley at Carmi. Quiet - not too many people. I don't know about what work is there. I fly fish the West Kettle river as much as I can in the summer - great place to catch fish.

Lots of trails for my Toyota truck.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:58 PM
I got kicked and now have a
Swollen Member

kootenaycat bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykoma View Post
Right here in Nakusp, where can you hop on your sled, atv, Utv or your truck and drive less five minutes be on the dirt roads. Or the water side of things anywhere in town less then three minutes be i the water. Or drive north and south drive about twenty minutes to next set of loading ramps or the lake.
Always liked Nakusp, very scenic and "away" from it all. Without forestry though, not sure what there is for work up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
Making money up there is easy enough. Only problem with small towns is every one is always in your bussiness.
Not really, moved from Castlegar to the Beaver valley outside Trail 5 years ago and I still have yet to meet more then 3 of my neighbours. Best thing about a small town is NO FRIGGEN RUSH HOUR!!!!! Work is 25km each way and takes about 15 minutes at most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxidermy View Post
I love Beaverdell - Carmi area. Lots of trails - KVR - West Kettle river - fishing - atv - snowmobile - beautiful valley at Carmi. Quiet - not too many people. I don't know about what work is there. I fly fish the West Kettle river as much as I can in the summer - great place to catch fish.

Lots of trails for my Toyota truck.
If there was work I'd live anywhere between Greenwood and Beaverdell. Gorgeous country there and endless back country exploring.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:03 PM
I got kicked and now have a
Swollen Member

kootenaycat bad newbie
Quote:
If you dont' have a trade it's pretty tough making a good living around here but you can still buy a house in Trail for under $150K. Average price for housing around here is roughly $200-$250 I believe. For $400K you can have 3000 square feet on acreage. So you don't have to make huge bucks to live. Can't ever imagine buying what we have here down in the lower mainland even on both our incomes.

For the record, Teck Cominco has about 500 retirees coming up in the next 5 years, lots of opportunities coming up there for just about anyone in a trade or not. I got on a couple months ago and see new people coming into the plant I work in every month. Average age of the work force is something like 51 I think, so over the next 10-15 years it will basically be all new employees. If they managed through this recession (and actually hired people) I think they will be around for a while.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:40 AM
Not a Newbie

Zibi Good newbie
Teck have some serious debt issues right now
Old 12-27-2009, 09:39 AM
working the rails and lovin' it

nykoma bad newbie
Quote:

To answer your questioj about what and how to make money here. You can't, I've been working out of town for the last threee years. Fiinally getting some paid holidays coming to me. Hope to have some pictures of the 4x4 trips the family will be taking in 2010.