Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > Chevy ramblings

Old 12-17-2009, 06:11 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
Big block vs small block?

I thinking which to go, small block or big block: So far I have heard....

Putting one high performance part on or in a big block 454 is like putting 3 high performance parts on a small block such as a 350.

454 will bolt right in no problem in place of your small block, however you will need to change your exhaust where it comes to meet up with the engine manifolds...

454 has more bottom end low rpm power than a small block. Small blocks are made for more top end high rpm power. 454 's are great for lugging or chewing through that mud hole with your 44 inch tires!! 350 will stall out unless you can keeping thr rpms up and the gearing just right.

I'd go with the 454 if its not my daily driver. I'm still stuck between having a rock krawler that is trail only or for highway use too. I'm still undecided with a bb vs a sb. The 81 high perf. 454 I got really twists the truck when I rev it up which is cool when showing off. I'm going to post a vid about that.

Some say a 454 turning 3:73's in rear diff, with 38" tires will get the same milage as a 305 struggling to turn the same gears\tires. A 350 would do better than a 305.

I've heard here at funinbc.com or reading about the guys that do snow wheeling, or what guys are putting in their high speed rock crawlers say for pro events its mainly the big blocks. Its good to have gobs of power and no risk of stalling out. Stalling out meaning your tire size, diff ratio, t-case ratios, put to much torque back on the engine causing it to power out. Gooey deep sucking-at-the-tire mud holes or sandy hill climbs that you want to just fly up, big blocks are the way to go I'm told...

My plan this winter (if I can sell some parts )is to put a cj7 or yj jeep body on my fullsize jimmy frame. My Jimmy already has a 14 bolt rear and a dana 60. I have a detroit locker in the rear and will put a selectable locker in the front. I'll put detachable fender flares on it for highway use. My buddies are saying 454, 454, 454 but I'd like the good fuel economy family oriented low budget rock crawler for a bit of fun! I do want my rig to be good for a trip to the sand dunes and Mohab down south one day!
Old 12-17-2009, 06:21 AM
doesn't play well with others
Swollen Member

m j bad newbie
BBC is a good high rpm motor
it has a short stroke and short rods

a well built big motor will always beat a well built small motor in power as the name of the game is burning fuel and air, so the more you can burn the faster it is gonna go

fuel ecomy is the other side of the coin, you still have to feed the cubes at low power and at idle
Old 12-17-2009, 06:31 AM
Make your own-iEdit Title in 'User CP'

crazylike bad newbie
i would say go bb you'll regret it if you dont. i went small block thinking fuel economy and by time i put the 39's on and everything else my fuel economy was crap and i still have no horse power so now i looking at a bigger motor and wishing i would have just gone big in the first place. saved time energy and alot of money rebuilding the small block. but thats just my 2 cents
Old 12-17-2009, 09:00 AM
FUCK CANCER
Swollen Member

B bad newbie
go fuel inj witch ever one has it use it ..... its really that simple if you are serious with what you say in your first post ... if it's all bullshit there's nothing wrong with a panty dropping big block

Originally Posted by Happypants
do you want this thread deleted?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:09 AM
thay call me drunkin Ira Haze
Swollen Member

lincoln locked bad newbie
i would like to see your build when you have made up your mind on a sbc or bbc, i know a lot of the guys are running big block power for the snow but is that what you have in mind ?and it is very cool seeing the bbc in action but Mason runs a very nice small block toy on 44" boggers and turns them like hes on the race track and saves a bit of weight too and he keeps up to the big blocks . mind you mason has a realy nicely built 383 stroker with no lack in power as for fuel milage throw that out the window bbc or built sbc and running the shit out of it you wont have much for milage eather way but youl have no shortage of funinbc

Ira.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:25 AM
THIS IS HOW I ROLL... BITCHES
Swollen Member

MUD CHILD Unknown Newbie

Most guys around here run big blocks in the snow, but like Ira said there are a couple guys that do run small blocks, I will be one of them. I just finished building a 383 stroker that will have more torque and horsepower that a lot of big blocks out there. First you really have to figure out what you are planning on doing with the truck and build which ever motor you use to suite your needs. I'm using my motor for snow wheeling, so when i built this motor I spent many hours thinking about what cam heads and intake would suite my needs here is what i came up with, it'll turn 46's easily

z1.jpg
Old 12-17-2009, 11:46 AM
thay call me drunkin Ira Haze
Swollen Member

lincoln locked bad newbie
very nice Ryan i cant wate to see it in action
Old 12-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Make your own-iEdit Title in 'User CP'

crazylike bad newbie
nice and shiny
Old 12-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Outback adventurer

snowman Unknown Newbie
You will never regret a big block!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 815gmhemi.jpg (29.0 KB, 167 views)
Old 12-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Outback adventurer

98ranger Good newbie
Know what they say, No replacement for displacement
Old 12-17-2009, 08:03 PM
The on board nurse is still scared of
Swollen Member

Always broke bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ranger View Post
Know what they say, No replacement for displacement
No truer words ever said !!!!!! but i like mud soooooo do what makes ya happy!!!
Old 12-17-2009, 08:23 PM
FUCK CANCER
Swollen Member

B bad newbie
seeing as we are posting pics of big blocks

chev power

bigblock%20pics%20006%20%28Small%29.jpg

bigblock%20pics%20001%20%28Small%29.jpg

Originally Posted by Happypants
do you want this thread deleted?
Old 12-18-2009, 12:35 AM
The on board nurse is still scared of
Swollen Member

Always broke bad newbie
OK even if ya don't like Chevrolet that is damn sexy
Old 12-18-2009, 06:49 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
I need to pay a buddy back $1000+ for buying me a truck so I want to sell a bunch of these parts cheap . If I can sell enough to pay him back and end up still having a big block left over I'll put it in my rock crawler!! Heres the stuff I'm trying to sell... I'm going to the coast with an empty car trailer Saturday if anyone needs stuff taken down from 100 Mile area. I had a couple deals on the go but they fell through...

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102642
Old 12-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Make your own-
Swollen Member

Ginger Snaps Good newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
You will never regret a big block!

is that whats going in the cruiser?