Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > Dodge Talk

Old 09-24-2009, 10:46 PM

muddycummins Good newbie
Ideas for traction aid? 2008 ram 2500

Im looking into gettin a locking differential/LSD/autolocker idealy im thinking something like an air locker possibly. Im not so keen on a detroit autolocker, as i wouldnt be to happy with the ratcheting and banging associated with them, but im wondering about the helical differentials and how they perform. im also not leaning towards and lsd cause eventually clutches wear out, which i think is the case right now with my factory unit. So anyone know whats out their and how well it works? let me know thanks
Old 09-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Make your own-iEdit Title in 'User CP'
Swollen Member

Moondog bad newbie
Detroit E-Locker
Old 09-24-2009, 11:02 PM
FUCK CANCER
Swollen Member

B bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycummins View Post
Im looking into gettin a locking differential/LSD/autolocker idealy im thinking something like an air locker possibly. Im not so keen on a detroit autolocker, as i wouldnt be to happy with the ratcheting and banging associated with them, but im wondering about the helical differentials and how they perform. im also not leaning towards and lsd cause eventually clutches wear out, which i think is the case right now with my factory unit. So anyone know whats out their and how well it works? let me know thanks

tell us more auto or standerd ?
what size tires and lift ...
daily driver ?
tow rig ?

all this stuff will help us help you make a informed decision

B ...

Originally Posted by Happypants
do you want this thread deleted?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:07 PM

muddycummins Good newbie
its automatic, cummins 6.7L, daily driver/hunting/offroading with a little bit of towing, currently have 35" tires thinking of geting a lift down the road possibly 5/6 inches and going bigger tires
Old 09-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Gettin' out havin' fun

Lynx Unknown Newbie
Most likely doesn't have a posi unit, only some of the 2500s do. Your truck has an AAM 11.5" rear axle. The posi in it doesn't have clutchs and should not 'wear out'. Mine has 175,000 kms and it works really good.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:58 PM
FUCK CANCER
Swollen Member

B bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycummins View Post
its automatic, cummins 6.7L, daily driver/hunting/offroading with a little bit of towing, currently have 35" tires thinking of geting a lift down the road possibly 5/6 inches and going bigger tires

a good 3" lift will fit 37's thats as much as i personally would go but that means nothing check out carli suspensions for some real killer suspension products for your ram as for the locker with a auto you will almost never notice a reg detriot locker execpt when you need it is there a reason you are thinking selectible ? ...

B ...

Originally Posted by Happypants
do you want this thread deleted?
Old 09-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Prospect

Crack Unknown Newbie
Carli is really good.. like he says. Super expensive though.

I have a 6" in mine right now with 37's. I love it. Though the lift that was in it when I bought it sucks. I picked up a long arm kit for the front that should make a huge difference. Add some bilstiens in there and you're good to go
Old 09-26-2009, 11:36 AM

muddycummins Good newbie
i want something that will work like an open diff in the city perferably, but when i need it to lock up the rear it does that. On my vehicle break down i got from the dealer it says theirs a posi unit in their, but i've gotten stuck before in a mud hole an only spun one tire. Also done a few burnouts again one tire, so thats why i was thinking selectable locker. I've also read up the detroit lockers "no spin" unit on the hiway affects handling im not shure if this leans more towards smaller vehicles like a toyota or suzuki an less in regards to a fullsize truck, hence i asked about a helical unit they call the "True trac" which i saw on the eaton/detroit website. basically i want the locking option with little to no side effects to ride quality. As for a lift i was looking into the fabtech 6" kits seems like most kits offer spacers for the front coils while these guys offer all new longer coils and shocks, also have a coil over option but thats takes the price of the kit from roughly $1,700 to $4,300 bucks i think its a little steep for me to get the coil over option. Any one know some one with coilovers in their ram?
Old 09-26-2009, 03:22 PM

muddycummins Good newbie
so i looked into Carli suspension systems and those are downright awesome who sells them localy in lower mainland?
Old 09-26-2009, 04:43 PM
doesn't play well with others
Swollen Member

m j bad newbie
true trac is an expensive open differential, useless
get a detroit and be done with it.

you wont hear any ratcheting, but it will make some noise now and again on cornering.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Prospect

Crack Unknown Newbie
I know Baja North in Kamloops sells Carli. Like I said... super expensive though. The dominator is something like 8g. If you're not going to be running through the desert at 100mph you don't really need remote res shocks or coil overs.

If you're going to be wheeling it and want a really good ride. I'd go with the long arms.... better articulation... better ride. Can get that for $1400, 6" coils for a couple hundred. Then 4" block or springs for the rear, adjustable trac bar, shocks.... and you're good to go.
For 4x4ing the long arm kit is going to make the biggest difference for you. Besides a locker of course.
If I was going to get a selectable locker I'd go with ARB. That way you can have OBA and you can add an exhaust brake later if you want
Old 09-27-2009, 03:19 AM

muddycummins Good newbie
well originally i was looking into a fabtech lift kit, which i dont think is a long arm, but i looked into ProComp,Tuff Country, and BDS long arm kits. thing that worries me is how the longer arms become more vunerable to damage compared to stock length ones any one have issues with bent arms? if it hasnt been an issue with anyone up till now i dont think ill have to worry myself, as for the lockers with an air locker i worry about pulling the line off, and e lockers shorting out at the connection when i need them ie mud... im sorry if i seem picky just trying to figure out wut might suit me the best and see wut you guys have found best out their
Old 09-27-2009, 02:17 PM

muddycummins Good newbie
so i jus came across Don Thuren radius arms and those looked like beefy mofo's any one know cost/were to buy?apparently he also makes progressive springs for the front, think i can get away with puttin together my own lift kit?
Old 09-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Prospect

Crack Unknown Newbie
Don Thuren is in the same league as Carli. Two of the best you can get for dodges. Expensive kits... but I'm sure you could get the arms for a decent price.
It's best to just call Don and talk to him.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Out-N-About

whazhappenin69 bad newbie
nice looking stuff.....time to start saving my pennies...