Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If its outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Out-N-About

North49 Good newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARLORD View Post
'Fire Ban is Retarded'

a fire ban isn't retarded................people are
Haha well said!

Chrome won't get ya home
Old 08-15-2009, 12:23 AM
I got kicked and now have a
Swollen Member

kootenaycat bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
The province wide Fire ban was lifted at 12pm today.....

CAMPFIRE BAN RESCINDED IN PARTS OF THE SOUTHEAST FIRE CENTRE
8/14/2009 11:18 AM
CASTLEGAR Effective at noon August 14, and until further notice, small, controlled campfires are again permitted in the Rocky Mountain, Kootenay Lake, and Columbia Forest Districts, and in the Arrow Fire Zone (see attached map).
The campfire ban remains in place in the Boundary Fire Zone. Category 1, 2 and 3 fire bans, including a ban on fireworks and burning barrels, remain in place across the entire Southeast Fire Centre.

The Boundary Fire Zone, where campfires are not permitted, is bordered by the Okanagan Highland Range of the Monashee Mountains to the west, the height of land along the Christina Range to the east, and the Canada-U.S. border to the south. It encompasses most of the Kettle River and Granby River drainages.

Due to the high wildfire hazard, open fire and campfire bans remain in place across the majority of the province. Campfire patrols will continue in all areas where the ban still applies and the public should ensure they are within the designated area before lighting a campfire.

Within the designated area, the lifting of this campfire ban applies to BC Parks and to all public (Crown) and private land. It does not apply within municipalities or regional districts that have their own burning restrictions. Please check with your local authorities before lighting a fire.

This campfire ban has been rescinded because of reduced potential for fire starts, recent rainfall and cooler temperatures. Regardless of the lower risk in these specific areas, the public is urged to remain vigilant and cautious with their use of campfires.

The public is reminded to never leave campfires unattended and to fully extinguish them before leaving. Under the Wildfire Act, an individual found responsible for causing a wildfire may face a fine from $100,000 to $1 million dollars, one to three years imprisonment, or both. Failure to comply with burning restrictions may result in a fine of $345.

The Southeast Fire Centre encompasses the area extending from the U.S. border in the south to Mica Dam in the north and from the Okanagan Highlands or Monashee Mountains in the west to the B.C./Alberta border in the east. This includes all of the Arrow-Boundary, Kootenay Lake, Rocky Mountain and Columbia Forest Districts.

To report a wildfire or unattended campfire call 1-800-663-5555 or *5555 on most cellular networks.
I was surprised to hear that after I wrote my comment above. Weather forecast for next week is low 30's all week so by next weekend I suspect they will be implementing it again.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:15 PM
runnin into walls with a
Swollen Member

Punk in Drublic bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALiEn_OuT View Post
So I was checking things out and it turns out everywhere I would like to go camping is rated "low-very low" fire risk: http://bcwildfire.ca/Weather/Maps/danger_rating.htm

Yet there is still a ban everywhere. I hate to say it but Washington handles their bans way better than BC. I was down at Baker lake 2 weekends ago and their Ban depended on the leaves at the specific spot. If one spot was too dry you could just drive up the road to a greener area and find that fires were permitted for cooking etc. BC is getting a little lame with their coastal banning. Nothing like camping in the rain with a fire ban

you sound like the kind of idiot that starts forest fires, its been cool n rainin on n off up here for a week or more but its still tinder dry under the trees.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:52 PM

ALiEn_OuT Unknown Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by punk in drublic View Post
you sound like the kind of idiot that starts forest fires, its been cool n rainin on n off up here for a week or more but its still tinder dry under the trees.
Nope, just getting really tired of suffering because a minority of people out there don't know what they are doing. I also don't think fire bans are retarded. Just didn't like what they said about this one on the news..They have a place when they are needed. It is possible to moderate them better, as there are examples in plenty of places. They just don't here. I was just venting on a forum of other safe fire enthusiasts..That's all. I went on my trip, and I cooked my wife and kids dinner on my stove. Just lame that's all.. missin my And yes there are idiots out there, but you know what? They were still having their bon fires anyway, just further up the lake. So it didn't matter much. Also, it'll be lifted in the interior while we still have it down here. Just watch :-)
Old 08-17-2009, 12:19 AM
Fuck Jesus he does not exist

surreysinner bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALiEn_OuT View Post
Nope, just getting really tired of suffering because a minority of people out there don't know what they are doing. I also don't think fire bans are retarded. Just didn't like what they said about this one on the news..They have a place when they are needed. It is possible to moderate them better, as there are examples in plenty of places. They just don't here. I was just venting on a forum of other safe fire enthusiasts..That's all. I went on my trip, and I cooked my wife and kids dinner on my stove. Just lame that's all.. missin my And yes there are idiots out there, but you know what? They were still having their bon fires anyway, just further up the lake. So it didn't matter much. Also, it'll be lifted in the interior while we still have it down here. Just watch :-)
Not everyone on here is a fire saint. Even for that matter all it takes a ember floating threw the air to a tinder dry area and bam

90% of people camping in summer are just that.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Outback adventurer

yota90ca Unknown Newbie
The campfire ban was started because of careless campers not putting out there fires, Just be for the ban started there was 25 unattended fires in the southeast fire district.

yes the ban sucks but look at the cost to put one out and are you willing to put up a million if you are the one that caused the fire.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:52 PM
wanna see my
Swollen Member

Cookie bad newbie
ya what walt, said people are the retarded. deal with the bans and enjoy the outdoors best ya can. besides fires this time of year are almost pointless
Old 08-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Not a Newbie

d0ubledown Unknown Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
The province wide Fire ban was lifted at 12pm today.....

CAMPFIRE BAN RESCINDED IN PARTS OF THE SOUTHEAST FIRE CENTRE
8/14/2009 11:18 AM
CASTLEGAR Effective at noon August 14, and until further notice, small, controlled campfires are again permitted in the Rocky Mountain, Kootenay Lake, and Columbia Forest Districts, and in the Arrow Fire Zone (see attached map).
The campfire ban remains in place in the Boundary Fire Zone. Category 1, 2 and 3 fire bans, including a ban on fireworks and burning barrels, remain in place across the entire Southeast Fire Centre.

The Boundary Fire Zone, where campfires are not permitted, is bordered by the Okanagan Highland Range of the Monashee Mountains to the west, the height of land along the Christina Range to the east, and the Canada-U.S. border to the south. It encompasses most of the Kettle River and Granby River drainages.

Due to the high wildfire hazard, open fire and campfire bans remain in place across the majority of the province. Campfire patrols will continue in all areas where the ban still applies and the public should ensure they are within the designated area before lighting a campfire.

Within the designated area, the lifting of this campfire ban applies to BC Parks and to all public (Crown) and private land. It does not apply within municipalities or regional districts that have their own burning restrictions. Please check with your local authorities before lighting a fire.

This campfire ban has been rescinded because of reduced potential for fire starts, recent rainfall and cooler temperatures. Regardless of the lower risk in these specific areas, the public is urged to remain vigilant and cautious with their use of campfires.

The public is reminded to never leave campfires unattended and to fully extinguish them before leaving. Under the Wildfire Act, an individual found responsible for causing a wildfire may face a fine from $100,000 to $1 million dollars, one to three years imprisonment, or both. Failure to comply with burning restrictions may result in a fine of $345.

The Southeast Fire Centre encompasses the area extending from the U.S. border in the south to Mica Dam in the north and from the Okanagan Highlands or Monashee Mountains in the west to the B.C./Alberta border in the east. This includes all of the Arrow-Boundary, Kootenay Lake, Rocky Mountain and Columbia Forest Districts.

To report a wildfire or unattended campfire call 1-800-663-5555 or *5555 on most cellular networks.

sweet...heading to nelson this weekend for 2 weeks...hopefully the ban wont be reinstated...
Old 08-18-2009, 07:55 PM

Kodiak Kid Good newbie
Maybe i am missing something but the ban is not lifted according to the forest service. NO CAMPFIRES!!!!!! http://bcwildfire.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/Bans.asp
Old 08-18-2009, 10:53 PM
I got kicked and now have a
Swollen Member

kootenaycat bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak Kid View Post
Maybe i am missing something but the ban is not lifted according to the forest service. NO CAMPFIRES!!!!!! http://bcwildfire.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/Bans.asp
Click on the link (on that page) for campfires in the SE, you'll see that there are restriction for Christina Lake are and west of that. Campfires allowed for all of Kootenays.

"Until further notice, campfires are again permitted in the Cranbrook, Invermere, Kootenay Lake, Columbia and Arrow Fire Zones (see map below).

Campfires remain prohibited in the Boundary Fire Zone. This area is bounded by the Okanagan Highland Range of the Monashee Mountains to the west, the height of land along the Christina Range to the east, and the Canada-U.S. border to the south. It encompasses most of the Kettle River and Granby River drainages.

The lifting of this campfire ban applies within BC Parks and to all public (Crown) and private land. It does not apply within municipalities or regional districts that have their own burning restrictions. Please check with your local authorities before lighting a fire.
While small, controlled campfires are now permitted in some areas, all other Category 1, 2 and 3 open fires, as well as the use of fireworks and burning barrels, remain banned throughout the entire Southeast Fire Centre."
Old 08-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Outback adventurer

yota90ca Unknown Newbie
Here are a few more links about the ban. Looks like a few areas are having some things removed from the ban like campfires and propane stoves. They area a little slow on updating the website.

Memos Released:
http://bcwildfire.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/Bans.asp

Map for South east fire Boundary area in black is still restricted:
http://bcwildfire.ca/ftp/!Project/Wi...cind%20Map.pdf

Here is a broad spectrum of the areas and what is on a ban and not (little slow to update):
http://bcwildfire.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/Bans.asp

This means we can have a fire at the fire halls picnic this weekend after we bounce our asses down the Slocan river for a couple of hours. Don't light a fire in the Passmore area we are not coming Cresent valley is
Old 08-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Outback adventurer

4x4boy Good newbie
haha Gibsons North Road FSR are crazy about there fire bans. its awesome when they have to stop at the private property, walk 20min just to find out it is a propane fire and still hassle you for a $315 ticket...
Old 08-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Team Cliqueless
Swollen Member

UU is a splendid one to beholdUU is a splendid one to beholdUU is a splendid one to beholdUU is a splendid one to beholdUU is a splendid one to beholdUU is a splendid one to behold
so if I have a camp fire and the fire warden fines me 350+ and the money goes to helping fight forest fires, in a scence aren't I helping put out forest fires
Old 08-29-2009, 09:14 AM
winter camping give me a
Swollen Member

Honky bad newbie
another reason winter camping is the best!
Old 08-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Albatross
Swollen Member

barracuda bad newbie
what is the infatuation with haveing a fire?

i can understand for warmth or even cooking from a need point of view but we have developed other things to deal with those issues. (stoves and propane) especially in summer??

I enjoy sitting around a fire also but i dont NEED a fire every time i go out .

A fire does not make the trip or the experiance any better in itself .
In the scheme of things It doesnt make the day more fantastic .

One should ask themselves why they Need a fire ? is it the accomplishment of building one? is it a compensentary device ? Perhaps its a common bond/focus that binds , sort of a social crutch (wait a tic thats what booze is for ) perhaps its a power & control thing ?

how tough is it to have a fire free weekend?