Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > Quads , Sleds, bikes and Boats

Quads , Sleds, bikes and Boats Got a question or want to show off a new mod on your Quad, Snowmobile, bike or Boat? This is the place to go

Old 07-22-2009, 11:23 PM
don't know what it is anymore

Broncoo bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabomber View Post
well i was told years ago and dont quote me on this

this my understanding on fuel

87 octane is the most explosive.... ie higher flash point

higher octane has a lower flash point but a longer burn

i have used high and low octane in my 05 400 honda and have never noticed a difference
you got that backwards

low octane fuel can cause pre ignition because it has a lower flash point and a lower potential of energy
high octane does not preignite (from heat/pressure in the cylinder) and has a higher energy potential this is why you need to run high octane on high compression engines... to prevent preignition
i dont need to say much else as it is self explanatory but i run 87 in the winter and 94 in the summer
Old 07-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Outback adventurer

98ranger Good newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoo View Post
i dont need to say much else as it is self explanatory but i run 87 in the winter and 94 in the summer
Why? Just because of the heat? I know "cold" gas will have a higher ignition point than "hot". But I didnt realize it makes that much of a difference. I guess it also ties into temp at higher elevation, as well as the amount of air?
Old 08-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Rookie

hoseclamp Good newbie
I have a '09 sp850, the wife has a sp500 carbed, both get 87 octane from the mill, commerical account. I've ran higher octane but it's only been when waaaay out in the middle of nowhere and I need to buy fuel from a secluded fishing resort, and they're usually marked premium. Heck, I even ran marked fuel mixed 50:1 for 2 strokes once in a '05 sp800, wouldn't get home without it, ran just fine with the mixed. I do know 1/2 a bottle of injector cleaner really waked up a fuel injected quad every 250km's though. I even add a bit to the carbed one to keep things flushed out.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Not a Newbie

shawn_ruley Unknown Newbie
I use marine fuel in my bike. its 89 octane and its usually at least a few cents cheaper than 87
Old 09-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Nothin' but a post whore

FZJ80 Good newbie
Octane has NO relation to energy content.
High octane gas run in an engine designed for low octane fuel will most likely make LESS power.
Unless the compression ratio has been changed, open your manual and run the gas the engine was designed to run on.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

trencher bad newbie
Wow alot of experts again. I have worked on small engines for almost 8 yrs and ridden snowmobiles for over 25yrs. They as anyone who actually knows sleds are some of the most effected engines by octane and running conditions.

Anyways higher octane ,as a couple people have said, Will delay the burn thus allowing the use of higher compression. A low octane fuel in an engine ment of high octane will predetonate and cause loss of power and engine damage.
As for using high octane fuel as a better safe than sorry thing. I have seen many engines that are ment to run on 87 that will actually NOT run as well on 94 because you are basically pushing the burn point past what its timing allows for.
Farm fuel is NOT low grade or poor quality....BUT the dye in it can and will foul spark plugs and plug injectors if used over long periods of time. The dye doesn't burn away cleanly. The farm duel straight out of the pump is definately better than the shit that has been sitting in a farmers tank for months too.
As for high octane fuel lasting longer sitting in a tank....this is not true. The additives that have been removed from fuel for emissions over the years, this includes lead, have removed the fuels ability to stand for long periods of time without stabalizer.
Best advise is to read your manual or even your gas cap on some machines and follow what is recommended
Oh and the running high octane in the winter thing is kind of right but only if your engine is running at the edge. Ie you have a high compression, performance mod that needs it to running safely. You will notice a little change due to jetting in some fourstroke applications in colder weather but you again are running pretty lean in the first place and high octane is only a bandaid fix as apposed to rejetting properly
Old 09-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

trencher bad newbie
Oh and i forgot the ethanol thing....this is a constant arguement in the industry but imo there is no real proof that the ethanol drys fuel systems out...but it will effect your jetting.....it usually requires jetting up(more fuel) a couple sizes. Depending on what you are running and kind of carb. And it is safe to run in two strokes, you just have to rejet. That said i do not run it in my mod sled because 94 octane form chevron is imo still the way to go for consistant performance. I do run the 90 octane husky fuel in my truck though and have no issues
Old 09-11-2009, 12:20 AM
Back at it

Josh_M Good newbie
I run AV gas in my quad. Getting its the problem. Runs awesome because i premix, from what ive read premixing lowers the overall octane ratio, so my 100 octane is actually less then that. Lots of power, smells good too, and only a buck 50 a litre
Old 09-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Rookie

savage420 Unknown Newbie
I run 100LL in my banshee and 800REV. I set my banshee up with 180PSI via a NOSS head with 19cc custom cut 13 degree domes cut by Dave himself at (NOSS Machine) outa Oklahoma and also run +5.5 advanced timing. My shee moves out REALLY great. AS well with all the other shit ton of mods ive done over the years. But im not getting into that.

Things and stuff.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:21 AM
Outback adventurer

Rx7_Rudy Unknown Newbie
I wouldn't run aviation fuel, as i have seen 3 drag cars try it and have detonation promblems, that were previously running a 92-vp116 50/50 mix. 2 of them were running 200hp+ nitrous shots, and everytime they went full throttle which turned the nitrous on the engine would backfire and sound like it was having ignition break up. Drained the tank, put in our mix and we were back to normal. We were told it was because av fuel has 5times more lead in it then street gas ever had, its made to burn at a high alttitude and has a different flash point. Just my experiance, mabye you guys got different av gas.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Outback adventurer

five.0L Unknown Newbie
aviation fuel is leaded gas and diesel, wouldnt run it in your car
run it in a bobcat works f**king awesome
Old 09-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Having FUN IN B.C.

trencher bad newbie
A little info on av gas
And no it's not leaded or a diesel fuel

http://www.rockettbrand.com/techsupp...viationGas.pdf
Old 09-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

crazydude Unknown Newbie
Well found the my manual for my 700 grizzly and it says to use 87 gas thats what its tuned for so guess im going to use 87 and see if it runs any better instead of using 91 or 94.