Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > Dodge Talk

Old 02-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
1975 1 ton driveshaft problem

My neighbors kid has a 75 1 ton 4x4 extended cab flat deck. One piece rear driveshaft. He busted it in half and I said I would fix it for free since he helps me out sometimes. He got another driveshaft for it but the u-joint caps are too small and I noticed there were no dogs on either side of the yokes to keep the u-joint centered. So I'm hoping to buy the right u-joints. I have the busted rear driveshaft but all the caps are missing. The "right" u-joints... do they use inner c-clips to keep them centered in the yokes? I was hoping to buy some u-joints that would be correct for this other d.s. or weld the old one together but I'd still need u-joints for it. I have lots of old u-joints kicking around. The kid was thinking of welding some pieces of flat bar to either side of the yokes to keep the u-joints centered . Can anyone tell me the diameter of caps to use, or a catalog lordco #, etc, etc. Figured I should do some research before I walk into the stores in town.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Prospect

nebowe Unknown Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by godtool View Post
My neighbors kid has a 75 1 ton 4x4 extended cab flat deck. One piece rear driveshaft. He busted it in half and I said I would fix it for free since he helps me out sometimes. He got another driveshaft for it but the u-joint caps are too small and I noticed there were no dogs on either side of the yokes to keep the u-joint centered. So I'm hoping to buy the right u-joints. I have the busted rear driveshaft but all the caps are missing. The "right" u-joints... do they use inner c-clips to keep them centered in the yokes? I was hoping to buy some u-joints that would be correct for this other d.s. or weld the old one together but I'd still need u-joints for it. I have lots of old u-joints kicking around. The kid was thinking of welding some pieces of flat bar to either side of the yokes to keep the u-joints centered . Can anyone tell me the diameter of caps to use, or a catalog lordco #, etc, etc. Figured I should do some research before I walk into the stores in town.

Nah...go to Lordco and tell'em that application...they have a book that will give the right U-joint and the style of connection.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
thanks!
Old 02-15-2010, 01:15 PM

Back_Country83 Unknown Newbie
Do yourself a huge favor and buy a genuine dana part for the ujoint at the I rear pinion. I just did my 76 and this one was different than the rest, even though the lordco book listed it the same as the others.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
Turned out the kid had the old caps.... I wish he told me that a month ago! Anyways the u-joint in the old rear ds, one near the diff, was in A1 cond. so I pressed out the ujoint and put it in the rear end of the good ds. So we bolted it in last night. Unfortunately the replacement ds is a tad shorter so the slip joint is extended I'd say a bit too much. He does not care so if it strips or breaks or comes apart he will be calling me. I enjoy helping him since my son is more interested in xbox and computers (girls too uckily)