WTF is with some people? This idiot needs to be caught and given a good beating!
Dog owners alerted
Burnaby man's pet dies after chewing on stick
Joe Couture, The Province
Published: Monday, August 18, 2008
A North Burnaby man is devastated by the loss of his three-year-old French mastiff Jada in what police suspect was a deliberate poisoning in a park.
"Somebody is out there deliberately setting booby traps for either defenceless animals or my three-year-old daughter," said Jada's owner, Jaime Walton.
"It kind of leaves an empty feeling in your stomach that there's someone that sick."
Walton and his daughter took Jada and their other dog, Euro, also a mastiff, for a walk in the park beside the Kensington Sports Complex at about 8 p.m. Friday.
"We found a perfect stick in the middle of the walkway by a swingset," Walton said yesterday. "I let Jada play with it and she carried it over to the swing area where my daughter was."
Walton took the stick and threw it into some bushes. A few minutes later, Jada started wheezing and spitting up.
"By the time we got home, her breathing turned from somewhat laborious to extremely heavy," Walton said.
"I was thinking maybe she had a bee sting and this is an allergic reaction, or she had something stuck in her throat because she couldn't breathe."
He carried Jada to a car and rushed her to a veterinarian. The doctor gave her a shot that should have cured an allergic reaction. But the situation didn't improve.
"They started giving her other medication, and put in an IV [intravenous]. The vet showed me her mouth and tongue, where the pink was turning into spots of blue from blood vessels breaking."
The vet told Walton there was a 95-per-cent chance Jada had been poisoned, and advised him to call police.
Jada died at about 1 a.m. Saturday. Police accompanied Walton back to the park, where they were shocked by what they found.
"Not only was the stick I found for Jada placed back on the walkway, there were another two sticks," Walton said. "The Mounties looked at the sticks and could tell there was a substance on the very end of them."
An officer smelled the substance and described it as wormy and sweet-smelling.
"That's when he told me this looks really suspicious," Walton said.
Jada's autopsy results are expected today, but testing of the sticks could take several weeks.
"What's abnormal is somebody would choose to put an abnormal substance on a stick," said Burnaby RCMP Cpl. Alexandra Mulvihill.
"Not in my time in Burnaby have I taken a file like this," she said.
jcouture at theprovince dot com
© The Vancouver Province 2008