Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If itís outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Sofa king wee todd did
Swollen Member

EIEIO bad newbie
The whole Matsqui prarie thing works like this:

Currently there are big pump stations that pump water back into the Fraser / Canal's in the Matsqui and Sumas flats. If The river raises to the point of breakage along the dykes they will shut the pumps off and let the other side fill up to maintain constant pressure on the dykes from both sides. If this doesnt happen you could have a catastrophic failure (1948, broke in Hatzic and Chilliwack).

If they did this they are talking about flooding it up to Lou's Bar and Grill in Abby, or a certain point on that incline going into town. Thus Clayburn Village and Matsqui would probably be under a good 20-30 ft of water.

The one thing that I have noticed is that on the Matsqui side the dykes are being worked on at an incredible rate where the Mission side is getting next to no protection. My work is basically gonna get shut down if it floods (might give me some nice holiday time, haha!), the dykes on the Mission side (Where the Junction and industrial area is) is very low, especially where the train goes through.

Hurry up time and start, today the upper fraser is supposed to get hammered with rain (Queen Charolottes have had mesurements of 130mm already) and down here on the South Coast temps are supposed to rise to 20ish, and close to upper 20's in the Interior. Prepare, I think its gonna happen sooner than later.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Stump hunter

Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut
Not Lou's Bar and Grill ...thats the best place in the lower mainland to have calamari

Stay away from my Moose Ribs
Old 05-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Sofa king wee todd did
Swollen Member

EIEIO bad newbie
Have you tried there bacon wrapped scallops or Lou's spuds?? DAYYYUMM!!!

I dont think they will get it right up to Lous, maybe the Christian Church School
Old 05-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Stump hunter

Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut Jeepnut
Ya...I need to get back there again...dam good

Stay away from my Moose Ribs
Old 05-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

Stavemudder bad newbie
I saw work going on by Mission's waterfront at the Captain's cabin area, and can't believe the new dike will hold back water for long. I think it will be swept away in no time. This is just a big band aid to appease us but if we all get wet, we wont be appeased for long. Still have to wonder where all our diking taxes went to all these years.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Frog Legs

4Lo bad newbie
Didn't mission/hatzic get another like 1 million from the provincial diking fund recently??
Old 05-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Having FUN IN B.C.

Stavemudder bad newbie
ya, they are really spending now but all this should have been done years ago. this new loose soil dike ifar from reassuring for me. they do pack it but if the fraser can erode it's banks, think what it can do to fresh pour.
go to Captains Cabin area and have a look yourselves. may just be me.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:58 PM
there's a visine for that

230 bad newbie
I saw it too and it aint going to do shit.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Make your own-iEdit Title in 'User CP'

arjan bad newbie
I think it's more a part of an early election campaign. This way it looks like they tried to do their part. Realistically it's a little to late.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Frog Legs

4Lo bad newbie
I believe it's a good effort on the gov't side. Good pr or not it is better than sitting back and not doing anything.

I can't understand why the public always see the negative issues on these types of things. Yes they should have dredged the river more. Yes they should have built the dikes up years ago. Yes they should not allow people to build in flood plain....yada yada. Be thankfull of what IS being done.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Having FUN IN B.C.

Stavemudder bad newbie
HHS will be testing their emerg. siren and now they are moving the cows out of the low laying areas. Fraser is rising too fast for my liking.
guess you all heard that this week is going to be a tense one for us all.
when i go down to the river banks in my area, there sure are a lot more people down there.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Prospect

Throttle Unknown Newbie
I just love how they didn't dredge the dykes because of some activists saying it'll kill the fish.... You dont think that all the pesticides, chemicals, and garbage that will flow down the river if it bursts its banks wont kill the fish anyway? I'm hopin that after all this flooding threat goes away that they START DREDGING AND DREDGE DEEP because it will only get worse as time goes on.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

Stavemudder bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle View Post
I just love how they didn't dredge the dykes because of some activists saying it'll kill the fish.... You dont think that all the pesticides, chemicals, and garbage that will flow down the river if it bursts its banks wont kill the fish anyway? I'm hopin that after all this flooding threat goes away that they START DREDGING AND DREDGE DEEP because it will only get worse as time goes on.
dredge the river, big time and build up the dikes, for sure.
went again today, there is so much crap flowing down the river that it is starting to build up under the train bridge. of caorse, some areas are flodding. just hope we all make it past this w/o going under.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Now I see what FIBC is about

DaB2200 Unknown Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle View Post

What they need to do, is plan the dredging better. Unlike that fuckup in Chilliwack last year, when they were taking rock out, and destroyed 2 Million redds. If they do the dredging between the runs, then there shouldn't be an issue. but the Bleeding hearts & the government are all fucking stupid.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:33 AM
Fuck Jesus he does not exist

surreysinner bad newbie
Every year its the same shit. Where going to flood, should have dredged, dykes ..yada yada yada.

Then every year fuck all happens