Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If itís outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 10-16-2005, 03:33 AM
Prospect

richsworkshop bad newbie
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by On the Zone
.....One thing for sure is: My son needs his education.
I hear ya there.

We know someone that has got set up to home school her two boys, and may keep them out even after this whole thing. (She is pissed right off)

I know that Kristina is starting to get a bit tired of our little one... she needs a break.

Get back to school!

Rich [}]
Rich's Workshop
"Everything's Possible... just takes TIME and MONEY!"

TTC 2003
Been there... done that... What a Blast!
Old 10-17-2005, 09:11 AM
runnin into walls with a
Swollen Member

Punk in Drublic bad newbie
I'm sure glad i'm not in school any more, i would be pretty annoyed.especially in grade twelve. the teachers just gotta wait there turn like everybody else. first the econemy goes up THEN wages go up. there expecting a raise just because there is a small surplus, well sorry this province has some catchin up to do, ur not starving to death, how many teachers still drive to the picket line everyday. if they really need money that bad s=leave the SUV at home and take the fuken bus. go back to work ur raise will come.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:29 AM
Dusty

I'm not a teacher, but my sister in law is and this is what she's told me. There is a law (of sorts) that requires that the teachers' contract be re-negotiated every three years. That was two years ago and the government has just passed that bullshit law to push the contract through another year. They won't even talk to the union, let alone re-negotiate. That's crap, in my opinion. My sister in law did her practicum at a school last year where she had 36 kids in her classroom; there weren't enough desks so one child actually sat on hers. This same class only had 10 history textbooks for the whole class...books that were 10 years old even. There are currently no caps on class sizes and the kids are suffering because of it. As far as the wage increase is concerned, their shooting high with 15% expecting much less. I realise this strike is hurting alot of people; students, families that can't afford daycare, etc, and I can't say I definately agree with the strike because of that, but something has to change...the education system is going down the shitter. Hope this sheds some light.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:24 PM
smarter then the average bear

trevyota bad newbie
thank's dusty

pretty ballzy first post.

nice work

Old 10-18-2005, 02:42 PM
Dusty

Shoot, not trying to be a jackass here [:I]. I just think alot of people (as in the general population, not you guys) are making judgements based on bias information, myself included; just passing on what I've learnt. I guess I should have mentioned that I am personally affected by the strike, I'm just finishing up a special education teachers assistant program(working with the special needs kids in the classroom) and I was suppose to start my practicum this week; without my practicum I don't graduate, therefore, don't work. I promise, the next time I post something, it will be a lot less serious.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:15 PM

trevyota bad newbie
NO keep it coming dude

it's rad to see the new guy's (me included) really stickin up for something

people might grumble but i've found with this group all's settled over a cold one near some mud and some truck's

it's nice to have some more legimit info on this anyways

i dont think anyof us are expert's on what's goinon

were all just speakin too how it si effecting us

no oen think's your a jackass, your just like the rest of us, just sayin what you think

cheer's
no biggie

Old 10-19-2005, 03:58 PM
runnin into walls with a
Swollen Member

Punk in Drublic bad newbie
with sqirrel nuts, it,s all good

Old 10-21-2005, 02:10 AM
wanna see my
Swollen Member

Cookie bad newbie
pegoallyty evryun fuj opf. tuis mutter is crop of shit.butt wiperfs sellon dshiit tiot twolret bols.assses.fuk

whut da? k asses sellin shit to tolet bols! thats the best i nac do*

used!
abused!
and usually accused!
Old 10-21-2005, 06:45 AM
Having FUN IN B.C.

Fuzzydog bad newbie
Getting pretty sick and tired of BCTF (and others) stating as fact that 'our children are suffering', blah blah.

I have 2 kids in the education system and yes they have large classes, yes they share textbooks and yes they share desks but NO, they are absolutely not freakin suffering. The kids in asia who run the risk of terrorists taking over their school and killing them are suffering. the kids in literally dirt poor african countries who have NO textbooks and NO desks and probably no teachers and no breakfast are suffering.

The kids in BC may not have the optimal learning conditions but by no means are they suffering. Kids who want to learn are learning. Kids who don't want to learn but have involved parents are learning.
Now that it's over the BCTF still has to deal with the courts today. I sure hope the courts don't shrug it off now that it's settled.

"Your balls, once swallowed, cannot be reattached.....I'm just saying"
Old 10-21-2005, 08:12 AM
Dusty

I agree with you 100%; I've been to Africa. Comparatively speaking, we're ridiculously fortunate here. It's just that the issue here is between what it is and what it could be. Thanks for your perspective, though, you're completely right.

FYI, just spoke to the principal at my practicum school; the teachers are voting this weekend, school will most likely be back monday.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Make your own-iEdit Title in 'User CP'

On the Zone bad newbie
well said FuzzyDog, guess that's part of the reason why i don't live in Africa. I live in Canada. My kids go to school in Canada. Canada is NOT a 3rd world country. So yes, I do complain that it is affecting my kids. There daily routine, suffering is just a wrong choice of word, More like Loosing Out on education......the way they know life, not from any other perspective.

I know that the teacher that my eldest has, probably will be sending an Extreme amount of Homework home to catch up on. Which in turn is not fair on the younger kids.

For some, it's a "Hassle" to have them not in school, and for most, expensive.

~Lost~.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:34 AM

trevyota bad newbie
so who's going to be upset if the teacher's reject this proposal?

a couple of the leaders are already gunna recomend that it doesnt go through, including the STA