Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If itís outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

85_GMC_4x4 bad newbie
Tire Chain Advice

I'm looking for chain advice/info for out 2006 Ford Escape - mostly for icy conditions.

On Sunday we got into a bunch of trouble coming back from the family cabin. About 4Km of the FSR was sheer ice. Crazy ice... the kind of ice where you get out of your truck and slide 10' down the road just on your feet (if you don't fall on your ass 1st). I had my 18month son and the wife in the truck with me. Despite having brand new studded winter tires, crawling at a walking pace, and literally driving in the ditch to try to get traction, we ended up doing multiple 360's and sliding over 80' before finally coming to a stop in the ditch. I'm just glad it was the ditch side of the road and we didn't go over the steep embankment. No way was I going to risk driving any further like this so I manged to get a buddy to bring his quad up to help and thankfully we managed to beg a passerby to borrow his tire chains (my buddy followed him down the road on his ATV and then brought the chains back up).

So..I want to pick up some tire chains for our 2006 Ford Escape before we go back to the cabin. No way am I risking my family like that again. The chains we borrowed got us down safely, but were horrible. They were an old style and getting them on/synched was a PITA and the clasps rubbed on the lower control arm which can't be good.

Was hoping for some reccomendations. The Escape is stock and will stay that way. I'm not looking for something to 4x4 with, just something to carry in the truck in case we ever come across that kind of ice again in the future.

The Ford Escape is a AWD SUV with the front wheels being the primary drive wheels.

What brand/type of chains would you reccomend for icy conditions and this type of vehicle?

Thanks!

Last edited by 85_GMC_4x4 : 01-11-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Now I see what FIBC is about

keadyn Good newbie
If they will fit get a V-bar style chain. I got a stock exploder and they V bars only fit on my rears.

I think all chains are PITA to put on btw.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

85_GMC_4x4 bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by keadyn View Post
If they will fit get a V-bar style chain. I got a stock exploder and they V bars only fit on my rears.

I think all chains are PITA to put on btw.
Thanks.

I've heard that the V-bar are the best in regard to traction. And yeah, I'm expecting that no matter what I end up with they will be a PITA to install... but certainly would like to pick the easiest install of the bunch.

Do you know if there is a quide out there or any way to tell if X-type chain will fit properly? Otherwise I won't know until I use them and it's too late to return them at that point.

I've also read that the chain pattern is important. A Z or criss-crossing pattern is supposedly better than the traditional ladder style pattern for both the ride and traction.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Cact
Swollen Member

4skin Good newbie
the v bar is the best for traction
unfortunatly on these new suvs youre pretty much stuck with the cable type
Old 01-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Now I see what FIBC is about

keadyn Good newbie
the issue is the V-bar is quite wide on the inside of the tire. I'm not sure if there is a Guide or not.

Buy--->try---->return--> try agian.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Wheeling a Golf Cart gives me a

harvester_sorrow Good newbie
i got sure grip Z for my stock tacoma. They have the Z pattern so they are abs compatible and offer decent side hill traction. I would not recommend them for hardcore wheeling but they would be good for what you are describing. Not the biggest pita to install, just bring a small trap with you and some work gloves. I used them once and they worked good. What ever you buy try them in your driveway first.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Original Chia Head

crimsen bad newbie
to tell if the tire chains will fit, look at the size of your tire, and then look at the list of tire sizes that will fit the chains you are looking at.

when i bought chains for the tires on my car, it has a list of like 20-30 different tire sizes written right on the package to tell you what those chains will fit.

V bar will be the best for traction as the points of the V's will want to dig and bite in more.

the Z/criss cross pattern ones will be the next best bet. with them, there will always be some part of the chain in contact with the ground at all times.

the cheap simple ladder bar will work for forward/backward traction. lateral traction will be limited to the times where the chain is in contact with the ground. depending on the spacing, there will not be a huge portion of time where the chain is not in contact, and even less where no chains on any tires will be in contact at the same time.

there is also basic cable "chains" which is just wire cable instead of actual chain, there is wire cable with little metal sleeves/collars over the cables in the tread area, and actual chain. cable will be the least effective, chains with mods will be the most effective. just look at it and think "is this chain smooth and going to slide over the ground, or are there edges to dig in and bite the ground?"

as for installation of the chains, they should connect so the inside of the tire has the chains meet about 1/2-3/4 up the sidewall. on the outside you pull it tight by either bungee cords, turn buckles, clasps, or how ever else it was designed. on a stock vehicle with stock size tires you should have atleast 1/2 inch clearance from the tire rubber to any surface so contact should not happen, especially with properly fitted and installed chains.

and yes, please to try installing the chains at home in the driveway first so you become familiar with them and know they will work for you.

Official FIBC DD
Old 01-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Nothing Runs Like a Deere

85chevy Good newbie
Check ur owners manual first it may tell u what chains u have to run it may not though
Old 01-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

85_GMC_4x4 bad newbie
Thanks Guys, especially crimsen for the detailed info.

With regard to fit, I'm more concerned about contact with the fender and control arm/suspension rather than the tire. I know there are different sizes for different tires.

I'll check the owners manual to see if there is any info in it.