Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If itís outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

BleepinJeep Good newbie
CFSC/CRFSC Exam Challenge.

I would like to know if anyone here has challenged the exams and passed.
I have read both of the course books front to back , watched the videos
for the course, but would love to avoid taking the course.
What does the exam consist of?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Prospect

geezer Good newbie
It consists of muliple choice answers, I think 36 questions if I remember correctly. I just came back from Silvercores' Delta office this morning and there was a fellow taking the test as a challenge option. If you know your course material you will fly through the exam with no problems. Call Silvercore, I think they are the best company around for all your firearm related questions. You can join their gun club and if you want to own restricted firearms they can issue you an ATT form fully filled out for you. You need to belong to either a firing range club or a private gun club like Silvercore to be able to own restricted firearms.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

BleepinJeep Good newbie
Cool , thanks geezer, is it really all multiple choice questions? I thought there was also a hands on portion?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Prospect

geezer Good newbie
Oh yes, sorry about that. There is a hands on test as well. You are asked to point out either the semi-auto firearms, lever action and bolt action and how to carry it when you are out hunting, they like to see barrel pointed downwards in a semi-forward position. You will fail if a firearm is pointed at an instructor. They will ask you to prove the guns' in a safe mode, they will ask you to work the action, whichever it is and ask you as well which ammunition belongs to which firearm. They will ask you to obey range rules like "ceasfire" and what to do with the firearm when that command is asked as well as 'safe to fire' command. If you are trying for the restricted PAL all is the same just with a handgun or maybe 2 or 3. Its' all just common sense safety oriented drilling. They will then fill out a form telling the powers that be you have successfully passed the hands-on portion of the exam and you will get a copy of your reports for your records. Have fun and best of luck! Let us know how you made out eh?

Last edited by geezer : 10-26-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

BleepinJeep Good newbie
Right on, I plan on getting both Restricted on Non restricted so that I dont have to bother with it again in the future.
Any other info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 10-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Prospect

geezer Good newbie
There are 3 different written tests and in a class forum each student gets an unknown test while sitting beside another student so there can be no cheating. But, in your case you will be alone one-on-one with an instructor. There are a couple of trick questions on the multiple choice test so read each question thouroughly so you can make it past the trick ones. The main focus is of course the safe handling of firearms. There is no time limit on either tests so take your time. Once you get your PAL I highly recommend taking the C.O.R.E. hunters; course, that is a really great course, you will learn a whole pile of good stuff.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Prospect

geezer Good newbie
I would also like to recommend you take the challenge tests with Silvercore, they are a great bunch of people. They have a challenge scheduled for November 7th and 21st at the Delta branch only. Call to book 604-940-7785. Tell them I recommended you to them. PM me for my full name.

Last edited by geezer : 10-26-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 10-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Albatross
Swollen Member

barracuda bad newbie
yup just what geezer said.

if you know your material and handling and you will be fine.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

BleepinJeep Good newbie
Thx, I thought about the CORE course but I do not intend on hunting anything, Just for targets etc. Do you think it will still be valuable to take?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Albatross
Swollen Member

barracuda bad newbie
learning something is always good. who know perhaps later on you may want to hunt. haveing your hunter number always gives you the option of doing it even if you dont.

If they ever go the hunter competency route where you have to jump through more hoops it may be far more difficult or costly in the future. ( i like the competency aspect but increased cost would not be very inviteing)

Last edited by barracuda : 10-26-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.

BleepinJeep Good newbie
I honestly dont want to shoot animals, I would if I had to for survival but thats it. I like to shoot them with cameras instead.
But you are totally right, learning something new is always good.
Thx
Old 10-26-2011, 06:03 PM
doesn't play well with others
Swollen Member

m j bad newbie
I did the silvercore course in abbotsford a few months ago,
I recommend just doing the course as they give you some hints on filling out paperwork you need after you pass.
it isnt that pricey but it is a boring weekend
Old 10-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Now I see what FIBC is about

keadyn Good newbie
I finally got legal and did Both the restricted and non with Silver Core a 2 day weekend class about a month ago.

It's 50 multi choice questions for each test. This part is pretty simple if you took the class and did not sleep through it your going to pass. There are a few oddball questions but chances are good you can pass the writen test without taking the class. Given your not a complete loony toon and plan to hunt deer with a handgun or use fullmetal jackets to hunt with.

The practical exam has some questions they ask and then you have to prove about 5 or 6 guns. I would not have passed the restricted as I have never used a semi auto shotgun or semi auto hand gun before. The pratice to load and unload was usefull. Also my knowldege on handguns was low and I would not have been able to identify the different kinds, I have only used a revolver before.

For the non restricted I have used all the guns they tested me on. So it was pretty simple.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Now I see what FIBC is about

keadyn Good newbie
As for core I did it when I was 16 many years ago and once you have it it's yours for life. Personally I would take it after you get your pal and get the hunter number.

For much the same reason I took the restricted, which was, I wanted it before they decided to take that right away from us too.

For the money and time I would just bite the bullet and get the CORE over and done with.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Prospect

geezer Good newbie
Yah, once you have the CORE course under your belt your hunter number is good for the rest of your life unless you fuck up and cause yourself grief and lose it. It is a priviledge, not a right. Just like a drivers' license.