Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > Quads , Sleds, bikes and Boats

Quads , Sleds, bikes and Boats Got a question or want to show off a new mod on your Quad, Snowmobile, bike or Boat? This is the place to go

Old 09-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Normal people make good pets
Swollen Member

Candiass bad newbie
Sled/ATV deck

Looking for a switch up from camper and flat deck trailer to sled deck and travel trailer combo. Looking for any insight from people that have this set up. Will an 8 foot wide ATV deck interfere with a travel trailer with a standard 3 foot tongue? We have a short box and Denali makes one that is 7.7 in length and will hang off our truck about 8 inches and the width of the deck is 8 foot. Will this work or should we spend the extra money to get one that is perfectly fitted to the box of the truck?

Old 09-29-2011, 10:41 AM
Not a Newbie

Dreded Unknown Newbie
I have one that's made to fit inside a short box and still fit a utility box in front/under it. You are welcome to borrow it to try it out(with some sort of deposit as I dont know you)

A large 4x4 ATV is 7' long so you would need a deck at least 7'5" and I can tell you two 4x4 atv JUST fit on a 8' wide deck(perfectly).

also if you are trying to decide new vs used the ramps for the deck cost around $400 new(11' folding aluminum from http://www.longatvramps.com)

and as an additional note atv decks make GREAT moving platforms... you can take 3 truck loads worth of stuff in one trip

I use my deck in a long box but logic says that 8" overhang is less than the distance from your tailgate to the hitch ball so it would be fine you just wouldn't be able to jack knife(I doubt you could normally anyhow)

'90 BII w/302 and 4" Susp Lift.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:05 AM
GIVIN'R SHIT

TWOZEROFOUR Unknown Newbie
i have a long box with a deck and tow, just don't jack knife it when backing in. the deck is the shit. nice for accessing tight remote areas for unloading. also nice to have the covered storage under the deck. be sure to buy one with sides that slide in and out, thats key. oh yea mount it inside the box, exterinal tunbuckels are gay and points that can snag.

enjoy
Old 09-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Not a Newbie

Dreded Unknown Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOZEROFOUR View Post
i have a long box with a deck and tow, just don't jack knife it when backing in. the deck is the shit. nice for accessing tight remote areas for unloading. also nice to have the covered storage under the deck. be sure to buy one with sides that slide in and out, thats key. oh yea mount it inside the box, exterinal tunbuckels are gay and points that can snag.

enjoy
my decks sides do not slide and admittedly it would be nice if they did for extremely rare occasions because in reality my mirrors stick out further than the deck does so unless you are constantly parking in mall parking lots with your truck and deck on without atvs(or just one) then sliding sides don't matter and just add to cost and rattle while driving(I hate rattle). I mount mine with external turnbuckles so I still have full use of the box under the deck and actually just throw a tarp over it and sleep under the deck when just go for quick overnighters funny how different people have different views

Oh and I am sure this is the reason for the switch but its VERY NICE to not have a trailer when just headed out quadding for a day.

EDIT: I just reread the post from TWOZEROFOUR and realized he probably is mounting it to d-rings located at the edge inside of the box so that would be the best way to mount it I was to lazy to install D-rings for that purpose so my choices are either attaching to the bed bolts or to the camper tie downs.. I already had the camper tie downs so since that was simplest its what I did

Last edited by Dreded : 09-29-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Having FUN IN B.C.
Swollen Member

redline bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOZEROFOUR View Post

enjoy

do you have any overhang past your tailgate?

i am concerned with a bit of overhang and being 8' wide the rear corner of the deck might contact the trailer.i realize i coulnt jack knife but i wanna still have a good turning radius
Old 09-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Swollen Member

Candiass bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreded View Post
my decks sides do not slide and admittedly it would be nice if they did for extremely rare occasions because in reality my mirrors stick out further than the deck does so unless you are constantly parking in mall parking lots with your truck and deck on without atvs(or just one) then sliding sides don't matter and just add to cost and rattle while driving(I hate rattle). I mount mine with external turnbuckles so I still have full use of the box under the deck and actually just throw a tarp over it and sleep under the deck when just go for quick overnighters funny how different people have different views

Oh and I am sure this is the reason for the switch but its VERY NICE to not have a trailer when just headed out quadding for a day.
Definatley appreciate different views. Exactly what redline and myself are wanting. . The idea is for us to be able to drop trailer wherever we want to camp and go stage elsewhere. Give more opportunity to see more of a place. Wished we had that for valemount
Old 09-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Not a Newbie

Dreded Unknown Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
do you have any overhang past your tailgate?

i am concerned with a bit of overhang and being 8' wide the rear corner of the deck might contact the trailer.i realize i couldn't jack knife but i wanna still have a good turning radius
I have no overhang but don't see why 8" would be an issue as I said come borrow mine and try it then you know for sure

Old 09-29-2011, 12:41 PM
GIVIN'R SHIT

TWOZEROFOUR Unknown Newbie
I welded some small tabs inside my box and mount to those, the deck i use also has a pull out tray that is aprox 4x8 on bearings thats slices out for gear and gas. All of the good sled spots that are not over run by tourists and albertans usally require you to deck the sleds in. Wail up in 4x4, turn around on a logging landing and leave Enuf room for your buddies to unload. As far as the silde out sides go, id say it's the only way. Just the foot print in your grage or drivway. and visibility is much better with the sides slid in, expically if yer truck is lifted or higher

2 cents
Old 09-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.
Swollen Member

redline bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreded View Post
I have no overhang but don't see why 8" would be an issue as I said come borrow mine and try it then you know for sure
Thanks for the offer,I will definatly keep that in mind .
Old 09-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Cact
Swollen Member

4skin Good newbie
my camper overhangs about 6 inches
thought i was being careful flat towing my jeep
but managed to get both front fenders
not a problem with my car trailer
yes not a sled deck and travel trailer
but a travel trailer is wider and taller than a jeep
so the pinch is going to be tighter
just sayin

Last edited by 4skin : 09-29-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:28 PM
Having FUN IN B.C.
Swollen Member

redline bad newbie
I got a 8 and a half foot camper I use on my 6.5 ft box so that's a huge factor in wantin to change up .I need to be super carefull with the quad trailer I have to tight of a turn and it will rip a camper jack off.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:25 PM
I got kicked and now have a
Swollen Member

kootenaycat bad newbie
I've heard of a few guys punching holes through the trailer on tight turns so need to measure things before you buy anything. I have a light steel deck that is about 6'6" and just fits my buddies CanAm 2 up so no need to get a really long deck just for quads. And yah a 800XP 163" looks really funny hanging off the back of it!

Word of caution buying a cheap aluminum (China) deck, you get what you pay for. Quads are heavier then sleds and with the extendable sides they do bend when bouncing down back roads. I thought of a Denali deck but starting hearing bad feedback from guys hauling ATV's on bumpy roads. $3500 is a lot of money for a new quality deck but keep your eyes open and you can find a good used one for $2000-2500. Plus make sure you have at least 10' of ramp and as wide as you can get, when you're backing down from that height you don't want to end up underneath a quad if it slips off the side of the ramp!
Old 09-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Cact
Swollen Member

4skin Good newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
I got a 8 and a half foot camper I use on my 6.5 ft box so that's a huge factor in wantin to change up .I need to be super carefull with the quad trailer I have to tight of a turn and it will rip a camper jack off.
unbolt the rear camper jacksyea a pita
guess my dodge one ton sits a litle higer
the jacks clear the car trailer
and i probably have a bit more room 9,5 camper in a 8 foot box
my towball is almost even with back of camper
Old 09-30-2011, 07:18 AM
Swollen Member

Candiass bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaycat View Post
I've heard of a few guys punching holes through the trailer on tight turns so need to measure things before you buy anything. I have a light steel deck that is about 6'6" and just fits my buddies CanAm 2 up so no need to get a really long deck just for quads. And yah a 800XP 163" looks really funny hanging off the back of it!

Word of caution buying a cheap aluminum (China) deck, you get what you pay for. Quads are heavier then sleds and with the extendable sides they do bend when bouncing down back roads. I thought of a Denali deck but starting hearing bad feedback from guys hauling ATV's on bumpy roads. $3500 is a lot of money for a new quality deck but keep your eyes open and you can find a good used one for $2000-2500. Plus make sure you have at least 10' of ramp and as wide as you can get, when you're backing down from that height you don't want to end up underneath a quad if it slips off the side of the ramp!
We definatley don't wanna go cheap with 2 quads up there. We are fine with spending the extra money for quality. Do it right the first time . Good to know. We started looking at denali cuz of cost but also there's a reason why they are cheaper so probably have to go for a better product. And best for us to get one for our shortbox that fit proper. We don't wanna be punchin holes thru a travel trailer we wanna be sure to get it right

Thanks for the feeback. Appreciate it

Last edited by Candiass : 09-30-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:48 PM
I got kicked and now have a
Swollen Member

kootenaycat bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4skin View Post
unbolt the rear camper jacksyea a pita
guess my dodge one ton sits a litle higer
the jacks clear the car trailer
and i probably have a bit more room 9,5 camper in a 8 foot box
my towball is almost even with back of camper

I had to raise my rear jacks on my 8' camper too (Dodge 1 ton shortbox) otherwise I would have torn a corner off the camper when I turned too tight!