Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > All about your Ride > Quads , Sleds, bikes and Boats

Quads , Sleds, bikes and Boats Got a question or want to show off a new mod on your Quad, Snowmobile, bike or Boat? This is the place to go

Old 05-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
Solenoid Quad starting problem

Never had a problem till yesterday with my 1996 Suzuki 300 Quad. Started out neutral light would not come on and when we turned key to on position all we would here was solenoid click. Hit start button and nothing. So we replaced solenoid with a aftermarket one from lordco. The solenoid sits left of headlights. The solenoid that I replaced had one little post on it and two big ones on opposite sides. Lordco sold me one with two little posts and two big ones that all sit on top of solenoid. A mechanic that was there buying parts said it would work just the same. Once we installed new solenoid neutral light came back on as normal and quad started fine. Then after about an hour of riding quad stalled and immediately after all this smoke started coming out from near headlights. Turned out a hole had litterally melted in side of new solenoid and smoke was coming out of it. So we replaced it with another solenoid and replaced 20 amp main fuse since it was burned out. Now neutral light wont come on and we decided to stop for day since Canucks were about to play. I also noticed headlights dont even come on. Before we replaced first solenoid the head lights would work. Also to add the quad has aftermarket handle bar warmers that have wires going to solenoid. So tommorow we will try jumping solenoid. Any ideas. I'm not even sure if this solenoid is normally installed from the factory where it sits to left of headlights under headlight cover. I'm thinking we replaced the original solenoid with one that may not have matched the function of the original one... Any ideas much appreciated
Old 05-16-2011, 06:09 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
I'm thinking this solenoid is exclusively used for relaying power from battery to handle bar warmers. The control box for the handlebar warmers has a cig lighter hole for gps, etc., so that explains two wires coming from the control box to the solenoid, one power wire for cig lighter and one for warmers. I'm also thinking the single small post on solenoid is for when key is turned on and that the solenoid is a "continuous duty" solenoid so that power is relayed from bat side of solenoid to other side post to run power to cig lighter and warmers. That may explain why aftermarket solenoid from Lordco melted and smoked - it was not ment for continuous duty... as for why neutral light won't come on I'm thinking the problem lays somewhere else....

There are fuses located by headslights and I wonder if there is another location for fuses??
Old 05-18-2011, 08:36 PM
I got kicked and now have a
Swollen Member

kootenaycat bad newbie
Sounds like the neutral switch is acting up in the trans. Most quads will start in gear with the brakes on, have you tried that? If that doesn't work find the neutral switch and remove the wire and ground it (or jumper connectors if it's a 2 wire) to see if the light comes on. If so, the switch is bad. Could just bypass it if that's the case, just remember it will start in gear.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:43 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
hey thanks!! Quad has been in garage a week now and I think it was just a corroded bat connection or loose wire it seems to be ok now. Found wires to neutral switch, i think its one wire. Will try starting it in gear with brakes on before next ride.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
Cleaned batterty connects really good and now no problems.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:18 PM
I got kicked and now have a
Swollen Member

kootenaycat bad newbie
Good idea to always start with the basics no matter what the symptom!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Nothin' but a post whore

godtool bad newbie
We found neutral switch wire and it looked good. This old suzuki king quad 300 would not start in gear with brakes on. Maybe if a 2nd guy decompressed the engine and pulled it over? I just tried hitting start switch . Not sure if I did that right. Now quad starts every time. since terminals cleaned. I drove it for a few months without headlight cover on which also covers battery so the weather got in their I expect and corroded terminals and wires!