Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If itís outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:44 AM
Keep

same sorta thing was goin on here in Chilliwack...someone went into Spoon Valley behind Cheam and tore the place apart on their quad...the place is frikin beautifull...person prolly didn't even realize what they were doin. Don't know how many of ya have been in the valley, but man...it's like standin in a picture.
There has always gota be a few dips in ever group that without thinkin screw things for the rest eh. Spoon Valley is clearly marked too "no atvs!" and if ya walk in there...ya see why. from the parkin spot to the valley is only like 200 yards too.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:25 PM
I got kicked and now have a
Swollen Member

kootenaycat bad newbie
I've read about the Spoon Valley on Club Dread, lots of unhappy hikers there. I don't blame them for closing it off to atv/dirtbikes because a few idiots had to go off the beaten trail and chew the shit out of a meadow/marsh and then try to highmark the hills.

But on the other hand, I have a thing about signs. My problem with "no motorized vehicle" signs is WHO put it up? Anyone can put up a sign anywhere they want, but do they have the right to put it up and stop other users from going in there? It's still crown (OUR) land. C&W Railbed is an example, the mountain bikers put up signs at their own expense that have no legal binding. But, for any non-local atvers who are are honest, it will stop them from enjoying a great trip. From what I gather, the Spoon is similar as there was logging done up there, so there is a good old road passed the parking area. Of course, I would be tempted to travel along the old road and on any well defined trails. The problem starts with guys who have to mudbog in the marshes, or making their own trails though the meadows. If there is one defined trail, why can't you stick to it?
Old 01-29-2006, 06:09 PM
Now I see what FIBC is about

Wagz bad newbie
Did u guys notice they posted a link to this discussion at the bottom of that sight now!

Fukkin hippies.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:01 AM
dave

This crap is why you guys take abuse in the first place!! Red-necked, collective and narrow-minded. I take it that the opening comment about 'trail nazi's' was self-directed. To classify people who care about the environment as granola eaters and tree huggers is boring. Those pics of habitat destruction sicken anybody. To say that there was a road in there before, or that it was logged before and therefore I'm justified in going back is garbage. Just because someone screwed with the environment in the past does not give me permission to do it again. We're supposed to be working at fixing mistakes, not repeating them. And also we don't ALL have the right to do whatever we want on Crown land. I can't cut down any old piece of forest I feel like, I can't build a cabin where-ever I like, I can't build a paved wheelchair ramp over a mountain, I can't dam a creek and create a fishing hole, so why would I think I can hack an ATV trail whereever I like, or better yet, just drive across a 500 year old meadow, and the next guy be damned. Try using the rest of your brain cells, and since you can type, do a Google search on 'Tragedy of the Commons'
Old 02-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Prospect

Torch2815 Unknown Newbie
Wow this is a pretty tense chat forum....glad I could figure that out for my self being that i'm rednecked, and narrow minded... but with all the name calling aside everyone needs to agree (and most do if you read every post Mr.Dave) that We as a collective or a community feel that this destruction is horrible but what you fail to understand is the rage we feel by being labled when the majority of us havn't even been to each area that gets closed due to OUR careless actions. Thats like blaming the hikers for every thing when in fact it's not true it may only be the actions of a few person(s). So if Your crusade to have all trails closed to ORV's then there will be no other way to enjoy our lifestyle other than illegally.Besides, when the responible majority of us do go out in the backcountry we almost always bring back more garbage than any hiker can hold in a back pack. So before you go and label all of us, be careful what you say, we arn't all a bunch of stupid rednecks, hell I could be your boss, or your brother in law...

P.s. The term trail nazi is a accurate verbal discription... why are you offended if your not one don't like being labeled.

P.P.s If there was a road there in the past and it's still travellable I.E. not blocked by more than some fallen tree's or such why shouldn't it be used if it prevents people from damaging the pristine environment, I don't hear you crying about the tree's that died to build your house, or the forest that was knocked down to build the roads that you drive to get to where your hiking... It's not the attitude of " To say that there was a road in there before, or that it was logged before and therefore I'm justified in going back " It's the mentality of preservation and protecting what hasn't be disturbed to help make sure it there for future generations to enjoy. But with your attitude "Trail Nazi" who doesn't want OHV's out there for his/ her of selfishness I don't know if there will every be balance cause this isn't about preservation of the environment it's about you. So as far as I'm concerned I have not done anything to harm the environment intentionally so FUCK YOU you selfish piece of shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2006, 10:26 AM
seem to have lost my
Swollen Member

Nutbar Good newbie
I couldn't have said it better myself Torch

Even team Cliqueless doesn't want me
Old 02-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Prospect

Torch2815 Unknown Newbie
Thanks, this is bullshit...LEAVE US ALONE...

P.S. I spent most of my teenage years growing up in the gulf islands so I do know that the majority of you hikers are granolla eaters and don't shower much either... But to all the normal recreational hikers who use the trails thanks for your understanding and feel free to pm me in regards to areas of concern and maybe we can work together to help stop the people responsible and prevent any further damage.

Please keep in mind that Hunters are large users of ORV's and although we have many as members on this site I would have to say that they may be the ones you may want to be in contact with, not pointing blame just stating the facts that they do go off trails to hunt.... And may not understand the impact of there actions,or may be excited in the midst of there hunt and have a lapse in judgement,but I'm not laying blame or accusations just thought of another party that you may want to consider discussing this with (Brainstorming to find a solution)
Old 02-06-2006, 11:13 AM
seem to have lost my
Swollen Member

Nutbar Good newbie
I would like to agree with torch I don't want to throw blame around most of the people I go out with are very mindful of where we tread, and pointing that out to other abusers. I do think that we need to talk intelligently and reasonably to one another.It is all the narrow minded overly oppinionated people on both sides of the argument that make this so hard on the rest of us.We need to make concessions on both sides.WE ALL like to go out and enjoy what we have here in one way or another.Lets try to get along and come to an understanding.We the ORV users are always going to be here and so will the hikers so lets try to get things done together.

Even team Cliqueless doesn't want me
Old 02-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Prospect

Torch2815 Unknown Newbie
Well said Nutbar
Old 02-06-2006, 10:52 PM
I got kicked and now have a
Swollen Member

kootenaycat bad newbie
Torch, I've suggested working together to stop the idiots from straying from the trails/roads, but usually I get no response at all. They (CT members) know I'm an off-roader so I am "the enemy"! Very narrow minded those people are, not all of them, but seems like the majority. You hit it on the head when you said they want to close all trails from ORV's is for their selfishness. That's exactly why most of them want us out of the back country. They don't like the sound/smell of my quad/sled, so they think we should be banned. Well, I don't like braided arm pit hair (especially on women) and stinky hippies, should the tree huggers be banned? If you don't believe me, take a walk down Baker street in Nelson.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:13 AM
Prospect

Torch2815 Unknown Newbie
Yup , not a big fan of the hippies...been to nelson...been to saltspring...You know it is really weird cause when you turn on the t.v. and watch the news you always hear about the lost Hiker....rarely if ever the lost OHV'er But you never hear our camp crying and whining about having hiking banned cause they (hikers)get lost in the woods.Maybe it's cause most people that become lost in the wild are usually not prepared or experianced enough to attempt the hike they had planned, and the general public understands the diffrence between a person that goes for a (hike) and a hiking or outdoor ''enthusiest".
Yet at the same time any person can walk into a store and purchase a ohv and proceed to use it but they are all assumed to be "enthusiests".This is very frustrating to me cause it paints everyone with a label based on the actions of a few, like they did to the africans in the southern states.We are the ones who follow the tread lightly motto, we are the ones who make routine clean up trips to various locations and spend our free time cleaning up after other people...we are the ones who help raise money for charities...And yet we are the ones that are being targeted time and time again based on caveman thinking,and we're suppose to be the narrow minded ones...We ask to work together and get no response...strange isn't it? self intrest maybe?....
Old 03-18-2011, 10:16 PM
My carbon print is the size of a crater
Swollen Member

dirka dave bad newbie