Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If itís outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Mountain Man

Taxidermy bad newbie
Bear Lake Main Road - Westside

I interested to know about Bear Main Road? Has anyone driven up there during Christmas holidays? Is it icy or clear?

Thanks!!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:26 PM
loves eating your moms

Mud Slinging Dumb Fawker Unknown Newbie
just got back today from stuert and sandburg lake ice fishin there was alot of fresh snow up at the top but there logging out of there so it should be plowed sooon
Old 01-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Mountain Man

Taxidermy bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Slinging Dumb Fawker View Post
just got back today from stuert and sandburg lake ice fishin there was alot of fresh snow up at the top but there logging out of there so it should be plowed sooon
Where is Sandburg Lake? I tried to look it up on a print map - can't find.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:43 PM
loves eating your moms

Mud Slinging Dumb Fawker Unknown Newbie
sandburg lake is just past stuert lake about 4kms
Old 01-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Gettin' out havin' fun

bigrig81 Good newbie
Find Terrace mtn and Sandberg is NWW from there.. that's the general area. You may find another lake called Treadgold right nearby sandberg as well.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:59 AM
Outback adventurer

4-Trax Good newbie
Set trip meter at the start of Bear Main and Westside Road. Drive down Bear, and turn off onto Esperon, then take Stuart to km 44. It is, like someone else stated, about 4 kms part Stuart Lake which is on the left side of the road. Sandberg is on the right side.

Sandberg Lake Top pics.
Stuart Bottom Pic.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Rookie

rockershocker88 Good newbie
such a nice area up there, is that spot just off to the right of the road with all the trails still open? a friend was up there late in the summer and said there was signs hanging up stating a 100000 dollar fine for those messing around or causing environmental damage? i remember going up a few years ago finding a trail that takes you up to the top of carrot mnt, i think thats wat its called, the one with all the cell towers on it... any how great view! also camped out a bear lake for a night, beautiful spot but the old man that manages the place kept lurking around on his quad. nice place either way.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Gettin' out havin' fun

bigrig81 Good newbie
These lakes are a long way away from the area that you're talking about. You're talking about a turn just off of bear main soon after you leave westside road that takes you up to the top of Blue Grouse Mountain, which is for sure a great view!!!! (There isn't any towers on the top of Carrot Mtn). The lakes are like 44km past that point in a different direction from Bear Lk

and as for Santa Clause at bear lake..... a chump..... freaks out if you take a bike into the lake camping area but if you're camping there you can ride around all you want.... hahah anyway will never go back there whn there is tons of other sites that are nicer and you DON'T have to pay for.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Mountain Man

Taxidermy bad newbie
About one or twice a year we camp at Bear Lake. We have gotten to know the man who checks the camping spots. His name is Dave. He has been really nice to us and knows us.

The reason he checks everyone is that Bear Main is a good road and you get lots of people there. Some people do not act good. We have been there when goofs set off fire works in the dry season. Also other riding around too fast.

He also winters there because of the concern about vandalism in the cabins. Again, too close to the city and to easy to get to.. he has good reasons for being grumpy sometimes. We have seen this happen. Dave is a good friend to us.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Rookie

rockershocker88 Good newbie
haha yeah i guess thats a ways off, anyone have or know where i could get a map for the whole area? done most of my playing around in the chute lake and myra area, could prolly drive most of the roads blind folded , wouldent mind getting to know the westside a bit better. cheers
Old 01-09-2010, 12:11 AM
Gettin' out havin' fun

bigrig81 Good newbie
well Taxi i am glad he is good to you. Last experience I had with him... and it's only been a few firsthand..... myself and my dad (who rides like a grandma) and his gf (who is a new rider) rode in slowly onto the dam (knowing he isn't a fan of people ripping around in there) to take a peek at the lake and a quick breather. we were there for about 2 minutes and then turned around and very courteously turned around and headed back out to bear main and he took it upon himself to come up to us and actually follow us out to Bear Main to tell us we weren't allowed to bring out bikes into the forestry camp site. To me, when were doing nothing wrong at all and he makes a point of that.... not cool. if you pay him money... he's nice.. if not, not. but like i said i am glad you guys have had good experiences!

I have always tried to ride respectfully everywhere and especially around places that have caretakers like Dave and have never ever had a problem, except with him. Even Fred (who has a bad reputation) at Jackpine Lk has never bothered us when we ride past his site to get to Gellately lake.

Rocker... as for maps... best is still the BC backroads map book that you can get from pretty much any outdoors store. but the best way to learn.. is to go play! hahaha good luck and have fun!!!!