Fun In B.C.  

Welcome to the Fun In B.C. forums. your outdoor adventure headquarters.

As guest on our site, you have the chance to take a look around and get an idea of what we're all about. Feel free to check out some of the current topics of discussion and some of the stories of adventure gone by, by clicking on the top right picture to view past "Pictures of the week" .

Don't be shy, come on in. By joining our free community you'll be able to join in the fun with other outdoor adventurers and find out about upcoming events. you will also get access to View posted pictures. Stop sitting on the outside looking in, join today it's easy and it's FREE.

It's time for you to start having FUN..... in BC!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

HOTMAIL USERS: Check your 'junk mail' folder for the confirmation message and add 'funinbc.com' to your safe list so you don't miss anymore important emails from us.

Go Back   Fun In B.C. > Adventure B.C. > General outdoor Discussion

General outdoor Discussion For any outdoor adventure. Trail talk, camping, skiing, hiking, etc If its outside and fun talk about it here.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:01 PM
winter camping give me a
Swollen Member

Honky bad newbie
The BC four wheel Association Stave lake and more

You know for years in my opinion this was a take your money do nothing association that had very little focus. I have never been a member and was a pretty vocal critic. About 2 years ago it was about to die until Steve Dillen stepped in and in my opinion everything has changed.

I see some real positive things that are starting to happen. With the changes at Stave Lake and there WILL be changes this spring/summer he has been getting the voice of us wheelers to be included. After talking to Steve and listening to the steps hes taking to make sure collectively we are all part of the planning all I can say is he has my full support. What a thankless Job he has.

Im not sure if their website is updated but I look forward to reading the progress he has made.

Its better to have one collective voice then a lot of people with good ideas but no direction

I think its time for me to finally become a member
Old 01-08-2009, 04:35 PM
cornbinder on coils
Swollen Member

epic3 bad newbie
What a thankless Job he has.

Kev I think your thanking him
Old 01-08-2009, 04:48 PM
winter camping give me a
Swollen Member

Honky bad newbie
I am? I just really glad that someone is at the helm that is taking it in the right direction.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:25 PM
cornbinder on coils
Swollen Member

epic3 bad newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honky View Post
I am? I just really glad that someone is at the helm that is taking it in the right direction.
appreciation is often thanks enough for some
Old 01-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Now I see what FIBC is about

sdillen bad newbie
Thanks for the vote of confidence.....I tell you, some days I wonder what in the world I stepped into -- and my absence from the forefront of issues of the last few months can only be attributed to burnout! BUT, things are still ticking along.

I posted an Association update a few months ago that I didn't replicate to all of the sites. Take a look at the association's temporary forum here: http://myblackheep.proboards54.com/i...lay&thread=316 (sorry for the link to another forum.....too lazy to retype everything here).

With respect to Mission/West Stave Lake. It sounds like there will be a draft document produced by the city of Mission sometime within the next month that will be the basis for the ongoing recreation opportunities in the West Stave Area. There are (of course) concerns about the Stave flats and Mission, as the licensee for TFL 26, has requested that 4x4 vehicle access to the West Stave Lake mud flats be curtailed until such time as concerns related to potential damage to sensitive ecological and culturally significant areas can be addressed and a long term sustainable recreation plan for the area can be devised.

I, for one, will be respecting this request and ask that others do as well.

It has been brought up in many discussions that if the West Stave mud flats are closed to motorized recreation use and an alternate location is not identified and endorsed for this use that there is a high probability that the issues presently surrounding the West Stave area will simply migrate elsewhere. I believe that this will be a key item to be addressed in detailed planning sessions once the draft plan is published. Every organization that I have discussed this issue with (MoF, MoTCA, area residents, City of Mission staff, other recreation groups, Forest companies, etc.) is aware of the likely results associated with complete closure of the flats -- and I believe that a reasonable solution can be sorted out when all of the stakeholders are brought together in planning sessions.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:49 PM
doesn't play well with others
Swollen Member

m j bad newbie
as I said on PC4x4

those 2 reasons are complete bullshit.
the mudflats were created by the dam and there is no way you can call that "sensitive ecological and culturally significant areas"

of course anyone that is against the search for a culture will get branded as racist.
there is good $$ in this search for a culture so all you guys that were laid off from housing should get in on it. Gov is paying the tab.

pretty much smells like they pull two, emotionally charged but factually insignificant, Jokers out of the deck to block any realistic discussion about the area and the difficulties (real or not).
Old 01-08-2009, 06:07 PM
your wife loves my

NickB bad newbie
We just need to get rid of the idiots up there before anyone takes us seriously.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Out-N-About

waggie Unknown Newbie
stave flats is a culturally sensitive or a culturally significant area. ( of or pertaining to culture - a particular form or stage of civilization ) we are that culture, and we are very sensitive about our ways. and I think that is quite significant.

and as for sensitive ecological area - sure - ( of or pertaining to ecology - the branch of biology dealing with the relations and interactions between organisms and their environment ) we ( the organisms) are continuously paying attention to our relations and interactions with our environment ( stave mud ). we see how our vehicles interact with the mud and then take them back home to the science lab ( garage ) and modify them to attempt to get them to relate (work ) better with our environment.

yes, there needs to be some kind of control on the area. but only enough to curtail the real problems - stolen, burned, dumped vehicles - dumping of garbage -

the rest of us should be left to do as we have always done at the mud flats - operate our motorized vehicles, camp, socialize, and just generally have a good time.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:52 PM
winter camping give me a
Swollen Member

Honky bad newbie
I like how you think Waggie !!
Old 01-10-2009, 02:19 AM
Prospect

Kraqa bad newbie
thanks steve.

you have my support!
Jeap Thrills Customs Sponsored CAN-ROCK Buggy #604
Toyo Tires Race Team