Fun In B.C.

Fun In B.C. (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/index.php)
-   Forum Support (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   How to “link” pictures from other sites (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73633)

Honky 12-14-2006 11:49 AM

How to “link” pictures from other sites

3 Attachment(s)
Please post your pictures that you take on FIBC. We have lots of room for you to do this and it makes the pages load faster.

If you are posting a joke picture or a picture that the group might find interesting here is another way to post it in your thread.

Step one:
Go to the webpage were the image is. Right click on the picture and go down to properties
Attachment 36982

Step two:
Find where is reads address (url) and highlight the link that starts with http. You can highlight the link by a click and hold of your mouse button and drag it across the text until the link is highlighted in blue.
Attachment 36983

Step three:
Now that the link is highlighted hold down your Ctrl and letter C button to copy the link

Step four:
Come back to FIBC and in your post look for the image button at the top of the post you are making. Click on the image button and a box will come up that say “please enter your the URL of your image”. Click on the white space in the box and then hold down your Ctrl and Letter V to paste the link

Attachment 36984

Now you have linked an image from another site and pulled it into your post.

Hope this helps [cheers]

]

Princess 12-14-2006 11:52 AM

wow you are gonna have some confused people [15] [f]

Honky 12-14-2006 11:54 AM

Is that hard to follow? It's a step by step

Tunabomber 12-14-2006 12:04 PM

cool thanx kev thats easy
well mabye not for some[f]

DURANGO 12-14-2006 02:19 PM

awwww man im sooooooo confused

Big_Ern 12-14-2006 05:16 PM

sweet, so now there will be even more red X's on the site!!![36][36]

[wako]

a lot of site's don't allow hotlinking. Especially the one's with 'joke pictures' etc. However the pic will usually show up for the person who posts it due to it already being in their cache so they won't notice, but everyone else will get a red X (or nothing in FF).

Not to mention that a lot of images are indirectly displayed through a script (such as most forums including ours), so even if they do allow remote linking it won't show up because the script usualy won't execute unless it originates from the same domain.

Some people may know what will & won't work for remote linking, but chances are those people don't need instructions on how to do it.

I know you're trying to reduce disk space and bandwidth, but there's more efficient way to do it than this[cheers]

Maybe there is a forum hack out there that will apply a quota to images that people upload in certain forums (jokes, around the bonfire, etc), but let others go unlimited (ie no limit to pics posted in events debriefing, carnage, etc). Or install one of those image optimizers we talked about waaay back when

kamloopsyota 12-14-2006 05:24 PM

oh damn i never knew how to do that

Honky 12-14-2006 10:08 PM

I link all the time....it works. This is just another way to post a pic from another site. does it work 100% of the time? no but most times it will work

Pudge 12-15-2006 11:14 AM

how come when I had a dancing smiley in my sig line, I got a pop up message that said "hot linking is not cool, please remove"???????????????

Honky 12-15-2006 11:17 AM

you did???? not from this site

Big_Ern 12-15-2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pudge (Post 1043856)
how come when I had a dancing smiley in my sig line, I got a pop up message that said "hot linking is not cool, please remove"???????????????

thats because the other site doesn't allow hotlinking

kev, you're right that it will work sometimes if you're careful enough to know which sites allow hotlinking or not

Pudge 12-15-2006 12:27 PM

how can you tell if it allowed or not Aaron?? I had it up for months before the message showed up, so I presumed it was this site not the hosts. But I guess i was wrong???

Big_Ern 12-15-2006 12:40 PM

you can't really tell for sure. Usually the joke type sites don't allow it because they want you to come visit their site and in turn view their ads which make them money.

the only real way to tell is to post it, and then clear your cache and refresh the post and see if it shows up or not.

other times they will allow it at first, but then they might notice in their logs after a while that that pic is getting downloaded huge number of times, and then either delete the pic or replace it with something else.

I know in the past when I've run other websites and noticed people hotlinking my images I'll replace the pic with something nasty along the lines of the Most Discusting pic thread so people will all of a sudden get some nasty tubgirl pic on their site instead of the image they had origianlly wanted. That'll teach those bastards for stealing my bandwidth:D

thats why I personally avoid hotlinking. If its not something that needs to be on the fibc server then I'll just throw it on my shaw webspace (where I know it is allowed) and hotlink it from there.

Pudge 12-15-2006 12:47 PM

well thanks for the info, I think I'll just leave well enough alone. I did really like my dancin' fool though

Honky 12-15-2006 01:14 PM

But please remember to post your pictures here. We have TONS of room for you to do this and will make the pages load faster. It will also allow old post to still have pictures in them as there will be no need to delete them where you are hosting your pictures.

This was just another way to post your pics. I do it all the time and it works well