Fun In B.C.

Fun In B.C. (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/index.php)
-   General outdoor Discussion (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Rumor has it Eagle is being closed for good again (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102682)

JeepManager 12-10-2009 10:13 PM

Rumor has it Eagle is being closed for good again

Does anyone talk to these people?

I've only been up a few times but I've never seen anyone being wreckless or disrespecting the trails at all.

Can't someone suggest to them that they gate it and charge for entry or something?

I'm pretty sure most people would drop $5 or $10 for a day if it kept it open.

rockycotton 12-10-2009 10:17 PM

Well that is not good .. I guess they want us out , too many new homes. Residents in the area wat to keep it for themselves , to walk dog or something .. go fuck yourself

Hello Kitty 12-10-2009 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepManager (Post 1468466)
Does anyone talk to these people?

I've only been up a few times but I've never seen anyone being wreckless or disrespecting the trails at all.

Can't someone suggest to them that they gate it and charge for entry or something?

I'm pretty sure most people would drop $5 or $10 for a day if it kept it open.

ya i have been workin on building a small hut to put at the entrance and collect fees. with the money i make (wearing a smokey bear costume) i plan on building the biggest ball of duct tape. i hope everyone will pay as with my wooden leg it's hard to chase after criminals. should have the hut in place in 2 weeks.
[cheers]

Sailor 12-11-2009 01:20 AM

Come on guys- It's a shithole. Trash, abandoned cars, beer cans, paintball shit, construction debris etc. I want this place open for my use as well, but that doesn't seem likely for long. Every vehicle that roars up/down Plateau Rd. with a busted loud exhaust, Every time some drunk pisses off a resident, Every time some Pt. Moody taxpayer wants to go for a nice hike on the trails and is offended by one of us (loud music, Booze, exhaust fumes, off leash dogs- you name it)- it's just one more nail in the Eagle ridge coffin.

It isn't going to matter one bit how many times we organize a yearly clean up or do toy runs or what ever. It doesn't matter that it isn't US who are fucking up Eagle- (fucking up hydro insulators- leaving garbage everywhere Pissing off the hippies) - we are going to loose access for good at Eagle and other places that have the same 'clientele' sooner or later.

So i've bitched here, I'm likely not the first. I don't know the answer but maybe when you see some disrespectful douche ( a double d!) making a mess or behaving like a jerkoff or leaving his shit laying around give him a swift kick in the nuts for a re-education. Unfortunatly- the hikers and mountain bikers will likely have Eagle all to themselves soon and I don't think anything we 4Xers can do will change that with the present attitudes some of us display.
Thanks- Flame on!

OldEnuff 12-11-2009 03:12 AM

I agree with you

I do not leave "shit" laying around while wheeling but many many many others just throw shit out the window wherever they are .... it all adds up
The big dollar tax payers can hear peeps at the entrance to the trails.... everyone might be well behaved while entering but when coming out broken and full of partying the locals can hear it no problem

Years ago I was going up the first part of the road after the bypass and saw a guy coming down walking with his dog
I had no music blaring and my truck was quiet and I was not going fast
.... the evil eye he gave me I remember to this day
good luck to wheeling eagle

JeepManager 12-11-2009 08:30 AM

What ever happened to freedom of speach? Not that it will help us at all but I know of someone who wheels up to the top of Eagle only because he and his wife love the view but are slightly disabled and HAVE to wheel up there as they can't hike it.

There is an area at the North end of Pipeline that seems to have a bit of an enterance. Nobody seems to walk dogs there, it's not near any major housing areas and it could be a nice replacement to Eagle if someone with more truck then mine wants to meet there and start breaking some trail.

Apathy 12-11-2009 09:36 AM

the worst thing that can happen is to keep us out. we are not the ones makeing the mess, but we are normally the ones cleaning it up.

Sailor 12-11-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pathy (Post 1468556)
the worst thing that can happen is to keep us out. we are not the ones makeing the mess, but we are normally the ones cleaning it up.

Exactly. But consider this for a minute. Do you think that the Regional District authorities can differentiate between the respectful and the responsible? All they see is a bunch of 'younger' types with damaged vehicles. And as to cleaning it up... Well done if said authority arrives on 'clean up day' or the two days after before Eagle morphs back into the garbage dump it is the rest of the year.

I am not an influential person. I don't pay taxes, own property or a business in Pt. Moody or Coquitlam. I drive there in my old truck, attempt to drive over the most ridiculous obstacles (obstacles=mother nature, remember) tear up and turn into mud many trails that 'green' hikers want to use. Oh- I also knock over the odd tree and drive through fish bearing streams.

The last time I went up ( 3 weeks ago) I met a group of walkers in their sixties. Well dressed, extremely well spoken ( damn literate types!) each packing a hefty bag with their alpine walking sticks. I spoke to one lady and brought up the old saw- my club does a huge clean up here blah blah. I wasn't able to impress upon her that there were 'good' wheelers. These people are the stakeholders that will get Eagle shut to motorized recreation. They are the ones who know how to work the system, have paid taxes to the municipality for 40 yrs etc. Have friends in influential positions. Or more importantly- Look like they should be listened to!

I'm sorry to go on like this but I love having a place like this nearby that we can go easily for some good times and off roading. Has anyone thought of approaching the Municipality or the crown about forming a non profit full time management scheme for Eagle? Consider this. Make it attractive to them and cost effective. You pay at the gate, which is secured after hours. your insurance is verified, There is no garbage dumping, no campfires, security with the authority to eject someone if they violate a clear simple set of regulations. Form a close relationship with the police/ RCMP/ Forest service/Hydro and present it as a 'responsible, ethical and environmentally conscious enterprise.' Protect Hydro's equipment and eliminate the illegal/damaging activity. Sounds like a win/win for all of the Government outfits, doesn't it? You would need one hell of a business plan and a consultant to present the idea to the various offices. I bet if you could get Hydro on board, or the police- the Municipality would follow.

You could go in there with a 'risk vs. reward' scenario. Hey-it's a business- we're creating opportunities, employment and a new taxation stream while protecting a public asset kind of thing?

Just a thought- rant off

hamberger 12-11-2009 10:42 AM

Its kinda funny. You bump into Conservation Officers all over the place in the Stave/Harrison/Chilliwack area but never one up Eagle. They could on any given weekend do more business there than an entire years worth elsewhere.

ham

Honky 12-11-2009 10:56 AM

You do know that Eagle has been officially closed for at least 10 years. Users have just been tolerated to this point.

Use it while you can then move on to the next place. No next place you say? I agree that there are only a couple of local places to go so the answer is to open up some new trails. I know of a great location to open up endless trails. Spring is the time

Apathy 12-11-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailor (Post 1468572)
Exactly. But consider this for a minute. Do you think that the Regional District authorities can differentiate between the respectful and the responsible? All they see is a bunch of 'younger' types with damaged vehicles. And as to cleaning it up... Well done if said authority arrives on 'clean up day' or the two days after before Eagle morphs back into the garbage dump it is the rest of the year.

I am not an influential person. I don't pay taxes, own property or a business in Pt. Moody or Coquitlam. I drive there in my old truck, attempt to drive over the most ridiculous obstacles (obstacles=mother nature, remember) tear up and turn into mud many trails that 'green' hikers want to use. Oh- I also knock over the odd tree and drive through fish bearing streams.

The last time I went up ( 3 weeks ago) I met a group of walkers in their sixties. Well dressed, extremely well spoken ( damn literate types!) each packing a hefty bag with their alpine walking sticks. I spoke to one lady and brought up the old saw- my club does a huge clean up here blah blah. I wasn't able to impress upon her that there were 'good' wheelers. These people are the stakeholders that will get Eagle shut to motorized recreation. They are the ones who know how to work the system, have paid taxes to the municipality for 40 yrs etc. Have friends in influential positions. Or more importantly- Look like they should be listened to!

I'm sorry to go on like this but I love having a place like this nearby that we can go easily for some good times and off roading. Has anyone thought of approaching the Municipality or the crown about forming a non profit full time management scheme for Eagle? Consider this. Make it attractive to them and cost effective. You pay at the gate, which is secured after hours. your insurance is verified, There is no garbage dumping, no campfires, security with the authority to eject someone if they violate a clear simple set of regulations. Form a close relationship with the police/ RCMP/ Forest service/Hydro and present it as a 'responsible, ethical and environmentally conscious enterprise.' Protect Hydro's equipment and eliminate the illegal/damaging activity. Sounds like a win/win for all of the Government outfits, doesn't it? You would need one hell of a business plan and a consultant to present the idea to the various offices. I bet if you could get Hydro on board, or the police- the Municipality would follow.

You could go in there with a 'risk vs. reward' scenario. Hey-it's a business- we're creating opportunities, employment and a new taxation stream while protecting a public asset kind of thing?

Just a thought- rant off

I am actually part of several user groups, and have been told that.. Its good to see you guys here.. it keeps the riff raff out. (sorry mandy)

Never up in canada mind you.
And we are battleing this extensively down in the states, and the department of natural resources is starting to understand who and what we are.[cheers]

Hello Kitty 12-11-2009 11:12 AM

anyone want to donate wood for my hut ?

Curtis F 12-11-2009 12:43 PM

"Rumor has it Eagle is being closed for good again " ... "again" being the key word in that title...there will always be a way in no matter what they do .

bobby b 12-11-2009 01:20 PM

"...there will always be a way in no matter what they do"

I wouldn't hold my breath.

JeepManager 12-11-2009 01:33 PM

So back to this idea of somewhere along the North end of Pipeline or North end of Coast Meridian.

Anyone know of some new areas we could make some trails at that won't be a "bother" to the community?