Fun In B.C.

Fun In B.C. (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/index.php)
-   RC Room (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   tamiya hi lift problems (http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90300)

toyon35s 06-12-2008 07:13 PM

tamiya hi lift problems

ok i bought a tamiya toyota hi lift r/c truck and im having serious issues,first off my battery fully charged gave me maybe 3-4mins drive time,now all of a sudden my motor burst into flames?any of you r/c guys have a clue what the problem is or should i say was,i checked and there was no major drag in the diffs or tranny so im fuckin lost,taking it back to the r/c shop tomorrow to get some answers but just seeing if any of you have an answer for me ,thanks[cheers]

toyon35s 06-12-2008 08:01 PM

anyone?:dontknow:

shawn_ruley 06-12-2008 11:53 PM

was the gear mesh between the pinion snd spur gear okay? its kind of hard to tell without actually having your truck to look at to find the problem.

toyon35s 06-13-2008 12:44 AM

well i ripped it apart and it turns out my motor is fucked really hard to turn by hand so im thinking maybe just a bunk motor:mad: ,even with the sper gear off the main gear still binds bad with the motor right off the main gear not ingle problem turns with no binding[16] [16]

ray 06-13-2008 10:55 AM

i think by the sounds of it you might have your gear mesh to tight witch it turned made your motor to hot

causeing it to light fire

the fire could also be from a short

but if the inside lit on fire

the motor is working to hard for some reason

take a piece of paper when u set up your new one and press the spur and pinion together with the peice of paper and tighten it up right there pressed into it with paper

and you should get perfect mesh

Cookie 06-13-2008 11:22 AM

sounds like a friction problem:)

toyon35s 06-13-2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray (Post 1281895)
i think by the sounds of it you might have your gear mesh to tight witch it turned made your motor to hot

causeing it to light fire

the fire could also be from a short

but if the inside lit on fire

the motor is working to hard for some reason

take a piece of paper when u set up your new one and press the spur and pinion together with the peice of paper and tighten it up right there pressed into it with paper

and you should get perfect mesh

thats exactly how the motor was set up,the r/c shop said looks to be a bunk motor,so hes bringing me a new one tomorrow,hopefully it will work gooder ,i'll post pics when its back together,thanks for the input guys[cheers]

dirka dave 06-13-2008 02:35 PM

My Toyota burst into flames once too...[16] :(

HEAVY METAL 06-13-2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirka dave (Post 1281969)
My Toyota burst into flames once too...[16] :(

too bad it got put out....

outcastrc 06-13-2008 07:31 PM

Over the years I have had a few motors go bad on me. Never started a fire tho I melted the winding once. Its pretty easy for an already weak motor to get a little too hot and then let go.

Batteries on the other hand I have had blow apart, burst into flames, melt thru plastic chassis, you name it...

But then I have been doing this for 25 years...

With your motor out of the truck just make sure your vehicle hasn't any undo friction in all the gears. Include full lock steering in your tests. It may be possible that under a certain circumstance the truck bogs down, putting undo stress on the motor / esc. Its an easy way of taking your truck out of the equation.

Ugly 06-14-2008 02:40 AM

k well i have heard ( Heard ) it is possible, depending on what esc and battery your using, if you wired it wrong you could be putting too many amps or volts or something to the motor, but it would have to be a cheap crappy rated motor,.. and since you said you checked the tranny and everything else for friction thats obviously not your problem then, but hopefully all goes well and, like you said, its just a bunk motor. ok bye

Ugly 06-14-2008 02:43 AM

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo that just means you're going in reverse.. you know what, just lick it,.. like a 9 volt battery.. stick it to your tongue, and if it tingles its good. Oh but you gotta be giving it throttle though

Ugly 06-14-2008 02:44 AM

you know what, dont listen to me.. but if you duo lick it.. take pics