PDA

View Full Version : Flat towing small 4x4 with/without lockers

Lost_in_BC
07-08-2009, 08:06 PM
We are planning another trip back to the west coast in a months time -

I'll be driving "Big Ugly" a '90 Ford f350 crew cab with a camper on the back,
and BluZuki (a sprung over Samurai on 32's)

I've flat towed Sam's before, but never for a round trip thats going to be close to 10,000 Km's.
Has anyone had experience towing a Sam (or jeep) with or without lockers ?
I'm finishing the last tweeks to BluZuki's drivetrain and am debating if there
will be any problems
as far as it being "Squirrely" when in tow if I put the LockRites back in....

We will be on the road for 4 weeks - a week out and one back giving us 2 weeks of touring in BC,
Probably split between the Kootenays and the Lillooet area - Looking forward to wheeling with some of you !

Little Samurai
07-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Not Sure how it will tow with a locker but remove the rear driveshaft when flat towing is the only advice I have ever been given.

Happypants
07-08-2009, 08:49 PM
either pull the rear driveshaft or put the truck, t-case in neutral and unlock the hubs, you should be ok flat towing cause its on a bar, it cant swing, chances are you wont even notice it,

Apathy
07-08-2009, 08:54 PM
either pull the rear driveshaft or put the truck, t-case in neutral and unlock the hubs, you should be ok flat towing cause its on a bar, it cant swing, chances are you wont even notice it,

Nick, you have to be carefull with this.
I don't know about the samies, but some t-cases will not lubricate the output bearing when in neutral.

I.e. nissan tx-10 transfer cases.

Just another bit of info.

Lost_in_BC
07-08-2009, 09:07 PM
[36] Yup...
I already know about flat towing a Sam...

I figured on removing the rear driveshaft and towing it with the free wheeling hubs in the "free" position.

When we are looking to use the Sam for exploring or whatever it's not too much
to put it back in.

I was more wondering about strange tire wear or the squirrely cornering
we get when driving with the lockrites

I usually drove the Sam in wintertime with "open diffs" winter snow and ice on the highways was just too exciting :roll eyes

kootenaycat
07-08-2009, 10:44 PM
The lockrite should be open when not under power, so shouldn't "push" on corners. I'd test it out a couple days in advance just to see how it handles, but I'm guessing with the weight of the truck/camper you won't feel the weight behind you.

If you're near Castlegar/Trail/Nelson, give me a shout or email.

Kevin
rks442@hotmail.com

pumpkin
07-09-2009, 07:28 AM
I've flat towed my Blazer, with lockers for an accumulated 30,000 km, no problems. I put the trans in park, the t case in nuetral and tow.

barracuda
07-09-2009, 10:27 AM
this is what our manual says for towing the tracker with all four wheels on the ground

- Freewheeling hubs disengaged

- Put ignition to Acc

- let off e brake

- put transmission in 2nd gear ( P if its an Auto)

- Put transfer case in N

Every 200 miles(320 km) stop towing the vehicle. Start the engine on the towed veheicle leave the transfercase in N and put the trans mission in 2nd and engage clutch if its manual or D if auto and rev for approxamatly 1 min to circulate the oil in the transfer case.

RCCruiser
07-09-2009, 01:39 PM
I flat tow my Toy/Zuk with my Cruiser. Unlocked hubs, and pull rear driveshaft. It has Detroit locker in the rear. Never really noticed any issues. Slight bumping side to side when starting a corner, but nothing to worry about.
Haven't noticed any weird tire wear yet. Probably have a bit over 1000 km doing this, though.
And sometimes I don't even pull rear shaft. Just make sure I drive it around the block before I start towing it to lube stuff up.
It's Toyota drivetrain, though...

str8ghtpipes
07-13-2009, 10:50 AM
can you tow a tru using pintal hook aslong as you hae the tail lights hooked up ? gather it has to be insured

ShuswapRedneck
08-11-2009, 09:51 PM
did I see you today on the way to the Galena Bay ferry/Nakusp?

Lost_in_BC
08-14-2009, 09:36 PM
I wish...
I just started my holidays today...

Still have a couple days of tweeking before BigUgly is ready for the trip west...

Yeah ! Summer weather has finally come to Ontario...
(I hate the humidity...)

m j
08-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Ontario....someone get a rope

ShuswapRedneck
08-15-2009, 11:34 AM
ah...ya it was a blue cew cab Ford with a 10' camper with a blue sammi behind it being flat towed.

westcoaster
08-15-2009, 09:53 PM
I flat tow my samurai with open diffs and stock size tires.

You will notice a difference between leaving the drive shaft in and pulling it out. For the trip across the praries I would pull the rear drive shaft. For short trips around BC I would leave it in.

When the transfer case is in neutral it also locks the front drive shaft making the entire front and rear drive train spin. This is a heck of a drag when towing. this translates to increased fuel consumption on the tow vehicle and wear tear on the driveline of the samurai.

RCCruiser
08-16-2009, 05:33 PM
When the transfer case is in neutral it also locks the front drive shaft making the entire front and rear drive train spin. This is a heck of a drag when towing. this translates to increased fuel consumption on the tow vehicle and wear tear on the driveline of the samurai.
I accidentally left mine in 4lo and towed it all the way from Jordan River to Victoria. Hit 120 on the Sookeaholla. Square front driveshaft, and welded Sch. 40 rear shaft. Probably wasn't the best thing for it, but didn't seem to cause any issues. :D