PDA

View Full Version : help...we need to getter started

redneckbitch 420
07-08-2009, 07:31 PM
buying a 89 ram charger....$1000 but we have to getter started...going out to try n figure it out this week sumtime the guy was drivin it one winter....drove drunk and drove thru the DQ sign smuckin up the right fender...parked it at his dads shop for a week then they were gunna tow it to their property (it was still driveable, dunno why they were towing it, i guess so he had a way back to town) the truck wouldn't start...he thinks it has sumthin to do w/ the wiring?any ideas?i dunno what could cause sumthin to not work after a week of sitting when it was running just fine.please help, i wanna getter home:confused:

MetalMan
07-08-2009, 08:20 PM
There's only maybe a million or so things that could be the problem, and you haven't exactly provided any tools to narrow it down

Meeshies
07-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Is there gas in it? :dontknow:

redneckbitch 420
07-08-2009, 08:53 PM
haha, ya, theres gas in it....sorry, thats all i can give ya for now until i can actually go and try to start er...someone else said the battery but the guy had a good heavy duty battery in order to run the winch or the starter:dontknow::confused0006:

MetalMan
07-08-2009, 09:55 PM
That doesn't mean the battery isn't dead, takes 5 seconds to put a voltmeter on it and see what's up.

redneckbitch 420
07-08-2009, 10:05 PM
he didn't put a voltmeter on it but i think he tried jump starting it but i could be wrong....if thats all it turns out to be then i will be a very happy person

redneckbitch 420
07-08-2009, 10:20 PM
ok, my boyfriends on the phone with our buddy right now he said he never tried to jump start it but when he did try to start it he says that when he tried to start it it sounded like it was trying to turn over but isn't quite engaging for some reason.

DURANGO
07-08-2009, 11:53 PM
its a DODGE

dirka dave
07-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Starter solenoid maybe.

redneckbitch 420
07-09-2009, 01:05 AM
hahaha, you know i knew you would say that uncle lance lmao :happy0045:

MetalMan
07-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Jesus christ you kids are fucking lazy. Jump start that piece of shit and get it moving already. It's probably a dead battery, worst case scenario it needs a starter, this is basic high school mechanics garbage

redneckbitch 420
07-09-2009, 12:20 PM
ya, well that may be but we have to have enough time to drive all the way to the sticks to do that first... just wanted some advice on what it could be b4 we go out and started fucking with it....thanx tho

redneckbitch 420
07-09-2009, 12:34 PM
o ya, and if it was the starte why would it be turning over?every pooched starter i've ever heard just clicks

MetalMan
07-09-2009, 06:00 PM
"sounded like it was trying to turn over but isn't quite engaging for some reason" is different than "if it was the starte why would it be turning over?" How do you expect to get any good advice when you're saying completely different things? FYI a "pooched" starter doesn't make clicking noises. That's a dead battery. A dead starter either does nothing or freewheels. And if it's actually turning over but not firing then you most likely have a simple ignition problem, possibly a fuel supply problem, easy enough to figure out which one

redneckbitch 420
07-09-2009, 08:12 PM
k, well noone asked you to be anasshole2 i was just asking advice so if you've got some then fine but if not then just don't say anything cuz i don't need to hear asshole remarks thanks...not everybody know everything about vehicles and you don't hear anyone else being and asshole2 to them

nbrowser
07-09-2009, 08:24 PM
ould be the following so be prepared for any event, dead battery (possible if lights were left on after the incident) bad starter, they can go from turning great to barely engaging to clicking to nada, if it's got a solenoid on the fender by the battery, that could also go, could even be the wiring to the starter or somewhere in the circuit, you won't know until you get your hands on it.

redneckbitch 420
07-09-2009, 08:31 PM
:D finally, thank you!will check all those things tomorrow when i go out there...if it's wiring somewhere in the circuit that could be a big job correct?gotta try n find where along the line it could b?...thats what had 2 b dun with my bf honda.

nbrowser
07-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Starter circuits on older rigs like the Ramcharger are reletively simple, big power lead from positive on the battery to starter, then smaller power wires from battery to ignition switch with a small wire to trip the starter solenoid to make it wake up, engage and spin the engine over, it's not that complicated. Now if it's a ground issue, check the cable going from the battery to the block for condition, sometiems issues can be found with the ground cable.....just ideas again

redneckbitch 420
07-09-2009, 08:40 PM
sweet, thanx for the help....will see wut happens tomorrow wen we go out there...we might just end up getting it towed to our house and figuring it out here...will keep posted on any changes...thanx again

DURANGO
07-09-2009, 10:34 PM
hey mis ill be in town sun....may stop by but thinkin maybe not...its not you............................................... ...........................

redneckbitch 420
07-10-2009, 11:35 AM
lol...........wut?when r u cummin 2 town on sun?just let us kno

Mustang
07-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Based on info given I'm going to say it needs a batt or fender solinoid (does that year dodge use them?)

I'm guessing that the impact with the sign munched something up front to do with the starter circut. Long shot posibility is that the impact knocked the starter out of whack.
If the batt case has been compromised and the water leaked out it wont have a charge and it probably wont let you jump start with it hooked up.

redneckbitch 420
07-10-2009, 06:13 PM
hey,i just need to correct something i had said previous...the damage is to the driver side fender...sorry

nbrowser
07-15-2009, 07:59 PM
hrm no update, ever get the thing running ?

MetalMan
07-15-2009, 09:45 PM
I have a real good idea what it is, if it's not battery or starter then I know exactly what it is, but I'll keep it to myself since apparently this kid doesn't know what advice is never mind how to take it

redneckbitch 420
07-15-2009, 10:17 PM
I have a real good idea what it is, if it's not battery or starter then I know exactly what it is, but I'll keep it to myself since apparently this kid doesn't know what advice is never mind how to take it
i just said if your gonna be a dick then don't bother but if not then i would love to hear your input by all means...and i'm not just some young kid

redneckbitch 420
07-15-2009, 10:18 PM
hrm no update, ever get the thing running ?
haven't gotten er home yet, went out there but it's not a good spot to work on it so we gotta getter out here first.

Ironman
07-15-2009, 10:19 PM
A 25 yr old telling a 22yr old they are a kid
[16] [16] [16] [16] [16]

redneckbitch 420
07-15-2009, 10:21 PM
A 25 yr old telling a 22yr old they are a kid
[16] [16] [16] [16] [16]exactly my point lol, fuck, i didn't know i was 12 again

MetalMan
07-15-2009, 10:26 PM
With "redneckbitch420" as a screen name and the grammar skill of an average teeny bopper I made a reasonable assumption. Maturity wise it still stands. Why don't you go tell some more motorcycle/quad mechanics that they don't know anything about quads?

2 words....ballast resistor. It's a white ceramic block on the firewall. If the battery and starter are good I would bet money on that being the problem.

Maelthra
07-15-2009, 10:43 PM
If the starter turns but doesn't engage its the starter relay on the fender.

redneckbitch 420
07-16-2009, 11:58 AM
With "redneckbitch420" as a screen name and the grammar skill of an average teeny bopper I made a reasonable assumption. Maturity wise it still stands. Why don't you go tell some more motorcycle/quad mechanics that they don't know anything about quads?

2 words....ballast resistor. It's a white ceramic block on the firewall. If the battery and starter are good I would bet money on that being the problem.
go fuck yourself douche bag

five.0L
07-16-2009, 12:25 PM
well if it turning it over then check if you have spark or if it carb put some gas down the carb and turn it over and if it runs then dies then maybe it your fuel pump
and take your starter out and test the solonoid windings try the pull inand release windings hold in windings and if it dosent work then buy a new start

Happypants
07-16-2009, 01:14 PM
jump the battery, if it just clicks then the starters fucked, but you can jump the starter just make sure that you know what your doing and by the sounds of it you dont have a clue, pretty simple shit to figure out right there,

five.0L
07-16-2009, 01:23 PM
if it just click just hit the solnoid witha hammer or somthign and get someone to turn it over well you are hittign it that could be the last time it work so dont be cheap abuy a new start after

dirka dave
07-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Is it running yet ?

[f]

redneckbitch 420
07-16-2009, 09:21 PM
well if it turning it over then check if you have spark or if it carb put some gas down the carb and turn it over and if it runs then dies then maybe it your fuel pump
and take your starter out and test the solonoid windings try the pull inand release windings hold in windings and if it dosent work then buy a new start
thanks for the info but i've had to put this all on hold for now as i have to figure out a way to get it here to work on it now because theres not much i can do on it out there right now

Reeseman
07-16-2009, 10:56 PM
where do you live?

DURANGO
07-17-2009, 12:03 AM
wow miss i know your family and all but you may want to keep your opinions to your self/bf just saying you aint making to many friends here...thats all...im over it.

Toyquad
07-17-2009, 06:01 PM
haha what a good read that was..... so many people think they know what they are talking about but have no idea.... funny shit

redneckbitch 420
07-23-2009, 12:26 AM
well, went out today and got the thing runnin....not quite sure what we did but it worked lol, put the battery in from the prelude...didn't quite have 12 volts and it still wouldn't engage, then just before we were about to start dinking with stuff under the hood we thought we would try it one more time and it fired right up.runs like a charm, i'm happy